Any feedback comparing British Airways vs Qatar travelling to SA with firearm?

I've flown QSuites already, just a bit before COVID started actually. I'm not expecting BA to match up to it for service. Just expecting to have only a small downgrade vs Q-Suite for a heck of a lot less net cost.

The points thing comes in due to Qatar being sold at Business while BA is sold as First. BA ends up with a 2.5x multiplier for First while Qatar is only 1.25x for Business. Paying less $$ on BA to end up with more miles is a big plus.
Interesting. I am not too good at the points game. I have 2 AA credit cards that keep me with enough miles/points to do several domestic flights annually. I guess I’ll have enough Avios points after many Qatar flights in business This year To do something.
Since they are one world can AA points be combined with Avios (Qatar)?
I am wheels up May 31 in the QSuite double bed with my wife! I’ve got three guys in business and the rest along with my 16yo son and his classmate in coach. Keeping 16 hunters together may be like herding cats, we will see.
Philip

Agree on your statements in general. If I had a choice up front and all things were close to equal, I would have just booked on Qatar with miles.

However, the Qatar round trip was ~$5600 in cost for Business class while on BA with First class on all segments the cost was$4200. And the BA flights had a much higher multiple for earning miles & status on Alaska Airlines. Now, with me being downgraded by BA to Business on LHR-JNB-LHR, and their commitment to a cash refund of 75% of the fare for those segments, I should end up in the high $2xxx end cost for the flights. The flights and their booking class bonuses will earn me 115k+ award miles and get me most of the way back to Alaska's MVP Gold status, that is a lot of value of under $3k and being able to knock it out in one trip.

Oh, and the BA business class I have from LHR-JNB-LHR is showing as their new Club Suites product on the A350, so shouldn't be all that bad. LAX-LHR and then LHR-LAX will be in their First class product.

In terms of taking my own rifle and the enjoyment of that, I'm OK with doing that in the future. If I enjoy this trip I expect I will return every 1-3 years for more hunts (and better plan my flights on firearms friendly airlines). If the trip doesn't live up to my expectations, I doubt that will be due to not having my own rifle with me.
I am not familiar with the classes and products on BA. Is it flat bed the whole way? Or is LAX-LHR domestic first? It will be most interesting to hear your trip report.

Interesting. I am not too good at the points game. I have 2 AA credit cards that keep me with enough miles/points to do several domestic flights annually. I guess I’ll have enough Avios points after many Qatar flights in business This year To do something.
I am wheels up May 31 in the QSuite double bed with my wife! I’ve got three guys in business and the rest along with my 16yo son and his classmate in coach. Keeping 16 hunters together may be like herding cats, we will see.
Philip
Just need to get a dozen lime green hats to find everyone

Anybody using a travel agent to get tickets and what were the fees? Was it worth it?

I would not even think of not using a travel agent in these times, they are worth whatever they charge. They can usually get you to your destination for the same price
price of doing it yourself including their fees.

As to what they charge it will be up to them, usually a couple hundred dollars. But if there are any changes in your flights then they are worth every dollar that they charge

I am not familiar with the classes and products on BA. Is it flat bed the whole way? Or is LAX-LHR domestic first? It will be most interesting to hear your trip report.

That's lay flat the whole way.

Philip

Sorry, but Advantage miles cannot be converted in Avios. However, they can be used on AA to get flights on other "One World" Carriers, like Qatar. But I am reading elsewhere, no Advantage miles for a Qatar Business class seats currently.

I mainly collect miles in BA Executive club for Avios. What I like about the BA account is they allow house-holding. Which means each member of my family Executive Club accounts are pooled together giving me a large bucket of miles. I also use the BA Chase card adding to that bucket each month and I charge everything can I can on that card no matter how small the amount. I am collecting miles. I can use those miles on BA for any "One World" Carrier. Or, I can transfer those miles 1 for 1 to any carriers frequent flyer account that uses Avios. The downside with BA Executive Club is the taxes and fees on the "free"tickets are high. It only makes economic sense Premium Eco or higher.

I also get points on my AMEX card. I transfer those to BA when they have a bonus usually 40-50% that's extra miles. I also avoid the Federal Transfer tax on miles as I am Transferring to a foreign carrier.

If I was to start all over in the miles game I would look hard at Alaska's program, but with them joining an alliance, not to sure how much longer their program would be viable alternative.

That's lay flat the whole way.

Sorry, but Advantage miles cannot be converted in Avios. However, they can be used on AA to get flights on other "One World" Carriers, like Qatar. But I am reading elsewhere, no Advantage miles for a Qatar Business class seats currently.

I mainly collect miles in BA Executive club for Avios. What I like about the BA account is they allow house-holding. Which means each member of my family Executive Club accounts are pooled together giving me a large bucket of miles. I also use the BA Chase card adding to that bucket each month and I charge everything can I can on that card no matter how small the amount. I am collecting miles. I can use those miles on BA for any "One World" Carrier. Or, I can transfer those miles 1 for 1 to any carriers frequent flyer account that uses Avios. The downside with BA Executive Club is the taxes and fees on the "free"tickets are high. It only makes economic sense Premium Eco or higher.

I also get points on my AMEX card. I transfer those to BA when they have a bonus usually 40-50% that's extra miles. I also avoid the Federal Transfer tax on miles as I am Transferring to a foreign carrier.

If I was to start all over in the miles game I would look hard at Alaska's program, but with them joining an alliance, not to sure how much longer their program would be viable alternative.
Thanks

Anybody using a travel agent to get tickets and what were the fees? Was it worth it?
$200-300 agent fee. Last year I had 11 hunters booked with me to hunt RSA on Delta. They cancelled and TWG had all of us rebooked on Qatar and sitting together in less than 24 hours. This was three airlines mind you. Quite a feat since they had about 100 clients in the same boat. What piece of mind in these uncertain times.
Just scroll through AH trip reports and you’ll find scores of travel horror stories from guys who bought their ticket on their phone. Sure there are guys who travel the world for business and are super savvy on all things air travel. Most of us are not that guy!
to answer your question I’ll need to pose one. How much is your trip in total? Most safaris all in are well over $10K. Why quibble over a couple hundred bucks? Makes absolutely no sense.
Regards,
Philip

Just to come back to this thread - BA was horrible to deal with.

It took multiple calls & customer support messages to even get confirmation that they would allow me to take a rifle.

I ended up deciding not to take a rifle and deal with BA's hassle. When I checked in with BA in Los Angeles they took kept asking me about the rifle even after I told them 4 times that I wasn't taking one. I showed them my checked duffel and offered to open it to prove there was no rifle in it. They typed for a while on their computer and then told me I was all clear and the rifle was removed from my flight record.

For my BA flight from Los Angeles to London , not only was my seat broken so that it wouldn't recline but we were also delayed before departure.

When I got to London and tried to use the automatic passport scanners for transit connections, it guided me to see an attendant. They said my record still showed I had a firearm and so someone from baggage needed to see me. I again explained I didn't have any firearms in checked bag. After 30 minutes, they finally clear it all up. They were cheerful with me the whole time and kept repeating how bad they are at dealing with firearms and how relived they were that I didn't have one.

Out of London, our flight to JNB was delayed over 3 hours. I filed for UK261 Flight Delay compensation but BA hasn't' responded in over a month.

On my return flight, I had 3 pieces of empty brass that I had kept from my first African animal (Impala), my Sable, and my Kudu. The baggage handlers had advised BA they empty brass was in the bag. BA called me while I was in the terminal and asked me to come back to customs so they could take me to baggage room. I asked why empty brass in checked bag was a problem and I was told that anything that looked dangerous was an issue. So I went to meet them.

In baggage room the baggage personally were clearly annoyed by BA reps. They told me they could clearly see it was empty brass and not loaded ammunition nor dangerous in any way. The BA agent asked them to open the bag and show it to her. When they did, she clearly still had no clue about it. I again explained to her what it was as well as the significance of it memorializing my hunt. The baggage handler joked all I had to have done was leave some biltong next to it in the bag and it would have been no problem :) The BA rep went to call someone and then finally came back and allowed me to take it. Took about 45 minutes all in. Very glad I had been at the airport 3 hours early.

For my return flight, we were delayed 2 hours before they finally took a sick flight attendant off the plane. 3 days later I tested positive for COVID. Pretty sure I know where it came from.

For my next trip I will be flying on Qatar and avoiding the dumpster fire that BA has become.

Thanks for the write up.
ps if you are flying Qatar I always take a bacon sandwich with me! :unsure: Don’t know what it is but as soon as I get on them or Emirates I just get that craving! What the hell is turkey bacon anyway?:sick::cry::ROFLMAO:
Mind you the BA lounge at T5 10 days ago. No real meat. Only had moroccan meatballs! WTF?
Also they have changed there point system. Used to be if you earned a companion voucher. And booked a flight with this you would get like for like. Now you can only book your companion voucher with economy seats. I’d recommend that you maybe combine the BA and Qatar points.
Did this when coming back from Zanzibar back in February.

Hi xbr897,
Thank you for for updating the thread and your BA experience.
I suppose to say you were disappointed with the quality of service would be a massive understatement? I have seen Gordon Kings Langley has had a nightmare with BA!

Heathrow is having an absolute nightmare dealing with passenger numbers at the moment. Airlines like BA who offloaded their staff and took furlough money and didn't plan for a resumption of passenger numbers should be absolutely ashamed of themselves!!!

I appreciate if you have loyalty programs and points accrued you want to take advantage of them.
As I have said BA on UK forums has an absolutely poor reputation now, especially their attitude to travelling hunters with firearms.
We used Qatar earlier this year, I appreciate this is a dog leg via Doha to get to Johannesburg, but the quality of service was good the attitude of flight staff was good, a touch slow at check-in but manageable with no attitude towards us.
Let's state the obvious there is a far bigger market of hunters in America, perhaps the attitude is better towards them(?) you have travel agents who actively seek your business and want to help you?
In the UK I worry about the negative attitude towards us and some agents I have found can be funny towards you once you say you wish to travel with a firearm!
At least you can share your views and experience on this site to ask the question about travel, who is worth using as a carrier.
Perhaps some guys can give feedback on American airline operators on how they treat travellers with firearms, I have heard that Turkish Airlines and Ethiopian Airlines have been good to people with firearms??? As I have experience with Qatar and I would try Emirates??

Let's hope you get resolved with compensation, as for BA's long term reputation, we won't be holding our breath!!

I’ve looked but please correct me Qatar has direct flights to and from the US.
Think the LA one is 17hr. (I’ve done an 18h one from NZ to Dubai Emirates)
For the less hassle and better service imo it’s worth it.

I’ve looked but please correct me Qatar has direct flights to and from the US.
Think the LA one is 17hr. (I’ve done an 18h one from NZ to Dubai Emirates)
For the less hassle and better service imo it’s worth it.
Being in the Pacific NW, it's awesome that Qatar now has Seattle to Doha directly flights. No more having to get to Dallas or LA to get to Qatar flights. From Seattle to Doha the total travel time is 14 hrs, 10 minutes. Then 8hr 25 mins to JNB.

I've already booked my flights for new year on Qatar. Looking only at distance flown, it'll be less total flight miles than I took on BA. For BA it was over $1k less to originate out of Los Angeles vs Seattle and my Seattle-LA flights on Alaska only cost $190 round trip. Seattle->LA->London->JNB was 12031 miles one way. Flying Seattle->Doha->JNB will be 11274 miles. And, it'll all be on Qatar so much more comfortable and with better service than BA (not to mention better firearms handling).

Hi xbr897,
Thank you for for updating the thread and your BA experience.
I suppose to say you were disappointed with the quality of service would be a massive understatement? I have seen Gordon Kings Langley has had a nightmare with BA!

I appreciate if you have loyalty programs and points accrued you want to take advantage of them.
As I have said BA on UK forums has an absolutely poor reputation now, especially their attitude to travelling hunters with firearms.
We used Qatar earlier this year, I appreciate this is a dog leg via Doha to get to Johannesburg, but the quality of service was good the attitude of flight staff was good, a touch slow at check-in but manageable with no attitude towards us.
Let's state the obvious there is a far bigger market of hunters in America, perhaps the attitude is better towards them(?) you have travel agents who actively seek your business and want to help you?
In the UK I worry about the negative attitude towards us and some agents I have found can be funny towards you once you say you wish to travel with a firearm!
At least you can share your views and experience on this site to ask the question about travel, who is worth using as a carrier.
Perhaps some guys can give feedback on American airline operators on how they treat travellers with firearms, I have heard that Turkish Airlines and Ethiopian Airlines have been good to people with firearms??? As I have experience with Qatar and I would try Emirates??

Let's hope you get resolved with compensation, as for BA's long term reputation, we won't be holding our breath!!

Yes, disappointed is an understatement :)

On the programs & points, the only positive from the BA flight is that I've now re-qualified for Alaska MVP Gold 75K level (which I would not have done without the massive points of BA First class crediting to Alaska). Earned over 60K status miles and just over 120k award miles on just one trip.

For American carriers, I've not used them for international travel. But in travelling around the United States with firearms I've found American Airlines & Alaska Airlines to be very competent in dealing with them. I've dealt with doing check ins in Seattle, Anchorage, Austin, San Antonio, Dallas, and Albuquerque. All went smoothly without any issues.

I appreciate this is a bit wordy, but it gives you an idea of what the UK aviation industry is going through at the moment, we have not even got to the peak holiday point at the moment!

After this experience I'd be willing to pay up to $1500 more to fly Qatar business vs BA business. Or even consider flying United over BA.

Yesterday landed 15m early at Heathrow flying BA charter Iberia. Then procced to sit on the tarmac for 1hr as they could not get the bridge to work and we had to wait for buses. Wife said well at lesa or bags will be waiting for us?
Nope had to wait another 20m for them.
EAE7B8C1-936E-4168-870A-FB90E3885F1D.jpeg

Why we could not walk down the steps an up the fire escape who knows?

Never Fly BA​

Just returned from Johnnasburg return from London.
I was at the BA desk for 21/2 Hours, nearly missed the flight.
It was just as bad returning from Johnnasburg. Plus they charged me for my carry bag, it was better to pay and dispute when I got home.
Never Never Never Fly with BA with guns
It is run by a clowns

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noah8899

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg