Any Experts that can assist with information on vintage Mauser?

But since there is such marking on the receiver OR the barrel, and the SN's match,,, is it not possible that is the original barrel?

Screen Shot 2022-01-27 at 12.45.02 PM.png

Perhaps what you have is not a Mauser sporter, but one of the Suhl or Zella-Mehlis guild guns with a Mauser butt plate. The double set trigger doesn't look like a commercial Mauser DST. Check the bottom of the barrel to see if there are any proofs or stamps there. Here's a picture of the proofs/date and caliber marking on a 1920 8x57i Zella-Mehlis that I recently picked up.

Best regards,
FwZ4LW9.jpg

Hi,

To me, the B U (may be not the G because the SN...) marks have been erased when polishing the metal before bluing. Anyway is strange...can be seen the ghost of the marks with the apropiate light...? When our Army Ordnance Factory converted around 5000 of our Mauser-Werke Modelo-1935, 7,65x53, kept in reserve unused, to sporting rifles, a kind of Model C Mauser factory sporters, some "genius" there decided to erase the B-U-G-N at the left side of the front bridge and barrel...plus other marks...great...but, in some of these rifles with oriented lights, the marks do appear!
The rifle of SShooter is not a "guild" one! The action, magazine-double triggers, and the mount/scope are original Mauser for sure, identified as a SSB, Single Square Bridge, set up at the factory for that Mauser original scope mount usually with that GREAT Zeiss Zielvier scope!
SharpShooter, do you know the original chambering of the rifle? Was it an original 8x57?
Thanks!

CF

Hi Sestoppelman,

The barrel, to me, is not the original one. The gunsmith kept the original tangent sight but there is a junction line not present in these original rifles....I don't know how the new barrel was instaled or if the numbers are original or stamped afterwards...

Hi,

To me, the B U (may be not the G because the SN...) marks have been erased when polishing the metal before bluing. Anyway is strange...can be seen the ghost of the marks with the apropiate light...? When our Army Ordnance Factory converted around 5000 of our Mauser-Werke Modelo-1935, 7,65x53, kept in reserve unused, to sporting rifles, a kind of Model C Mauser factory sporters, some "genius" there decided to erase the B-U-G-N at the left side of the front bridge and barrel...plus other marks...great...but, in some of these rifles with oriented lights, the marks do appear!
The rifle of SShooter is not a "guild" one! The action, magazine-double triggers, and the mount/scope are original Mauser for sure, identified as a SSB, Single Square Bridge, set up at the factory for that Mauser original scope mount usually with that GREAT Zeiss Zielvier scope!
SharpShooter, do you know the original chambering of the rifle? Was it an original 8x57?
Thanks!

CF
I'm very far from a Mauser expert, but I thought the base of the trigger guard for a commercial Mauser DST was solid and only had two individual holes through it for the triggers, and that where the base of the TG was cut out to fit the DST mechanism is what was used on the Suhl style guild guns. Here it's clear in one of the OP's photos that there are not two individual holes for the triggers to fit through, but a single larger opening. If you look at the left inside edge of the bow in last picture the OP posted and you can clearly see the cut out for the DST mechanism.

Best regards,

Last edited:
Ok, great. Thanks for the insight - it helped a lot. On a different note: do these guns hold any specific value or are there so many in circulation that they are just old guns? A

Value?

Yes, because it is might be an original Mauser Sporting rifle, it would have some value.

If you decide to sell it you could try it between $3000-1500 and it's up to you what you take for it. If it is ot100% correct, or the mechanical condition or wear is questionable the price will be much lower.

I don't think the condition (from the photos) will rate that higher dollar figure.

You'd want to verify that the serial number fits within the time frame of Original Mauser sporters, through the Blue Book guns website.

So things that happen in the gunsmithing world that might lead your rifle not to be 100% correct.

1. Barreled action in a different stock.

2. Stock heavily modified.

3. Original scope mounts put on a different gun.

Research might yeild more money. Might give you a lot less.

There is only a serial number and no BUG or BUGN code.
OK, so if no BUG or whatever, how do we know its original and not a guild gun as mentioned? Not trying to be a PITA here but my question hasnt yet been answered, only that there is no BUG.
I am just curious how without those marks that should be present, and the SN is matching on barrel and receiver, how can any definitive ID be made, and why is anyone assuming the barrel has been replaced?
Based on what exactly?
Thanks!

Hi Monsai52,

Yes, indeed! I mentioned the magazine, magazine flooplate AND that DST as one of the clear signs of the originality of this Mauser! Where do yo see that clear cutout line for an added DST mechanism ??!! On the contrary, sorry, any line can be seen. Is all one piece.

Best

CF

Hi sestoppelman,

The originality as a factory Mauser Sporting rifle, ACTION, STOCK AND REAR SIGHT is evident by the side markins, the numbers arrangement and size, the SSB action and the scope mount set up. Cannot be said without actually see the rifle but, more than probably, the action is of the large ring/small thread barrel shank. The factory used, (not absolutelly always but almost...) that special M98 actions to cut the dovetail in the front ring, to not weaken it! Even they cut that dovetail more shallow than the "guild" gunsmith did..!!! Is easy to check if the action is of this type looking at the diameter of the rear of the barrel without the bolt. They were ONLY made at the Mauser Factory.
I told how the proof marks can be erased, keeping the numbers intact as in our converted military Modelo-Mauser-1935.
About the barrel, the aspect of the forward part of the chamber do not correspond to the original. The line just at the rear of the tangent sight indicates some work there...but the numbers on the barrel are very similar to the originals...Who knows.....
Would be great to have the imput of Fal Grunt-Jon Speed....
To be continued

Best!

CF

Last edited:
Pull the action from the stock and see if there are any proofs and numbers stamped on the underside of the barrel.

Best regards,

Hi Monsai52,

Yes, indeed! I mentioned the magazine, magazine flooplate AND that DST as one of the clear signs of the originality of this Mauser! Where do yo see that clear cutout line for an added DST mechanism ??!! On the contrary, sorry, any line can be seen. Is all one piece.

Best

CF
Looking again I think what I was seeing in the picture is a shadow, so you are probably correct.

Best regards,

I have Speed's book, I'll dig it out this weekend.

Well this is interesting indeed! I was just in a Swakopmund gun shop yesterday and was shown almost the identical rifle but three numbers earlier! -94411 .
It is also an African model which are quite rare. This is an Original Oberndorf mauser built on a pre WW1 Model M98 action. It has the original factory scope mounts . Not sure the barrel was replaced - usually these where rechambered to 8x60 due to the treaty of Versailles.
stock is original so is the double set trigger and Bakelite but plate.. interestingly the rifle I saw also had its heel of the stock slightly ground down at an angle. This was probably a mod done the owners to facilitate easier shouldering of the rifle. Yours has the correct cocking piece and an interesting bolt handle. The large knob is usually done on scope mounted rifles.
nice honest example of SWA history.

Welcome aboard StraightShooter. If this were mine, I'd consider it a good hunting rifle. Not one that could be put up for sale with the expectation of a high value. The caliber restricts it to Plains Game but there's nothing wrong with that. Have you tried shooting the rifle yet? If so, how did it perform?

Please introduce yourself and give us some more information about you as a hunter. things like what have you hunted in the past, what other firearms do you own, do you reload. There is a lot of knowledgeable folks on AH that are willing to share what they have learned. I hope you enjoy the site as much as I do.
Good morning,

thank you for the warm welcome, Sir. I have shot the rifle, both on targets and on game. The scope is a bit milky so my shooting on live animals was restricted to short distances on warthogs and oryx from the hide or Hochsitz. The gun absolutely does kill, but - since it was only on short distances - I cannot say for sure if that is still the case on 150+ meters. On the range I had to remove the scope and I was pretty impressed with the result, given that I had never really shot open sight on anything bigger then a .22 before.

I am planning on taking it to northern Namibia mid-year to try and bag an Eland. Power and accuracy should be sufficient.

I usually hunt the western side of the country, on the edges of the Khomas Hochland. Commonly referred to here as the great escarpment. Rough, dry, hot and mountainous terrain. But very rewarding. I usually use my trusted .300 WinMag with 180grain Hornady ammo. Game ranges from springbok to Hartmanns's mountain zebra and kudu. Any bad shot there usually ends up in hours of recovery on some mountain, so enough gun is highly recommended.

Cheers

Reactions: WAB
G
Hi SShooter,

I also see your rifle as a "user" one. The barrel is not original and so.
Agree with xausa about kuduae! He is a REAL expert on german guns.
There is another guy who is a member of the gunboards forums. A site with many sub forums about military and sporting guns of many origins. His nick name is Fal Grunt. He is also a Very close friend of Jon Speed. More precisely, Fal Grunt is a kind of "speaker" of Jon Speed in that forum. Please, ask him! Or, if you prefer, I can send him your rifle pictures and questions. Up to you.
Good luck!

CF
Great. I will contact them. Thank you very much!

Well this is interesting indeed! I was just in a Swakopmund gun shop yesterday and was shown almost the identical rifle but three numbers earlier! -94411 .
It is also an African model which are quite rare. This is an Original Oberndorf mauser built on a pre WW1 Model M98 action. It has the original factory scope mounts . Not sure the barrel was replaced - usually these where rechambered to 8x60 due to the treaty of Versailles.
stock is original so is the double set trigger and Bakelite but plate.. interestingly the rifle I saw also had its heel of the stock slightly ground down at an angle. This was probably a mod done the owners to facilitate easier shouldering of the rifle. Yours has the correct cocking piece and an interesting bolt handle. The large knob is usually done on scope mounted rifles.
nice honest example of SWA history.
Very interesting. My family is originally from Swakopmund so I wonder is there two rifles had come here together? Could you maybe tell me which gun shop it was?

The grounding down of the stock is from abrasion. The bottom of the stock was placed on the foot side of the passenger seat of my uncles truck. Hence it rubbed down over the years. The wild old days I guess lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg