Any Aussies had a 425 WR built?

I am still deciding about this build, but I have been finding a few good South African references that indicate the feeding issues are manageable. If I do go ahead, I need to decide between the 5 round extended magazine, or a flush fitting 3 round magazine.

Does anyone actually make a WR style 5 round mag that would hold the 425 case? I did some searching but couldnt find one. But maybe I didnt search the right term as I dont know if it has a special name. Westly Richards still offer this configuration, but maybe they make the magazine in house?

@rifletuner

Here's my thread - had some good input from other members IRT feeding.

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/425-westley-richards.78164/#post-1134763

Yeah, thanks. I found that thread earlier and read through it. I also found an article in a 2000 edition of the SA Man Magnum magazine I had at home that talks about feeding and highlights the importance of the correctly shaped follower more so than anything else. Pierre van der Walt's book, “African Dangerous Game Cartridges" also references the Man Magnum article, as well as giving his own positive experience with the 425WR. So at this point I am pretty confident the feeding issues can be managed as long as I get the right gun smith.

Its just down to components now. Unfortunately its not quite as easy as most other builds because its usually possible to get components like barrels, even in pretty obscure calibres. But the .425 (or 435) seems to be the exception as on one in Aus seems to make one. Then I just need to be able to source dies and maybe an extended magazine.

Still thinking it all through - a lot to consider

I have had some work done by Kudu in the past. I talked to him when I had the opportunity to buy a part finished 500 Jeffery build, but he was not too excited about taking it on. I guess its a bit different if he does the whole build himself.
Was that the 500J project with the Wiebe bottom metal that was floating around a few of the sales websites for a fair while?

I’ve got the same thoughts. Even harder to get stuff in NZ.
Do I go an easier route and get a 404j or do I go for the 425…

Yeah, thanks. I found that thread earlier and read through it. I also found an article in a 2000 edition of the SA Man Magnum magazine I had at home that talks about feeding and highlights the importance of the correctly shaped follower more so than anything else. Pierre van der Walt's book, “African Dangerous Game Cartridges" also references the Man Magnum article, as well as giving his own positive experience with the 425WR. So at this point I am pretty confident the feeding issues can be managed as long as I get the right gun smith.

Its just down to components now. Unfortunately its not quite as easy as most other builds because its usually possible to get components like barrels, even in pretty obscure calibres. But the .425 (or 435) seems to be the exception as on one in Aus seems to make one. Then I just need to be able to source dies and maybe an extended magazine.

I hear you.

Another smith to chat to could be Alex Beer in Tassie - I had a chat to him about my (still 'pending') .350 Rigby No 2 project - seemed very knowledgeable and keen on doing 'cool old' projects.

That .350 won't happen anytime soon 2yr wait on dies from CH4D ;-(

Barrels - not sure whose barrel Russ used for his .425 Exp?

The 2016 LW catalogue lists .425WR - might be worth checking with Tom @ T-Bone.

If I do end up down the .425WR path - I prob won't do an extended mag.

Was that the 500J project with the Wiebe bottom metal that was floating around a few of the sales websites for a fair while?

No, it was a a left hand barrelled action, so a bit of a unicorn. The guy getting it made passed away and his brother was selling it. But the brother couldn't tell me if any feeding work had been done to it. So it was pretty difficult to work out how much work was left, and what to value it at. Anyhow, after speaking to Kudu, I decided it was too much of an unknown so didnt go ahead with it. I sold pretty quickly though, so I do wonder how it turned out.

I’ve got the same thoughts. Even harder to get stuff in NZ.
Do I go an easier route and get a 404j or do I go for the 425…

Yeah, the 404 Jeff is the question. A lot easier to get everything I need within Australia. Probably be a lot easier in may ways. Im just determined to look into the options as thoroughly as possible this time because I've gone the easy routs in the past and regretted it later on.

I hear you.

Another smith to chat to could be Alex Beer in Tassie - I had a chat to him about my (still 'pending') .350 Rigby No 2 project - seemed very knowledgeable and keen on doing 'cool old' projects.

That .350 won't happen anytime soon 2yr wait on dies from CH4D ;-(

Barrels - not sure whose barrel Russ used for his .425 Exp?

The 2016 LW catalogue lists .425WR - might be worth checking with Tom @ T-Bone.

If I do end up down the .425WR path - I prob won't do an extended mag.

I know Alex by reputation, but never spoken to him. He does have a good reputation though.

Good suggestion about the 425Express barrel, I can ask Anthony George. A long lead time on a barrel from the USA could just about be a show stopper. I did look at the LW web site a week or so back, but couldnt see the 435 bore listed. I havent actually asked TBone though. I have used LW barrels for a few other builds, so would be fine with that as an option.

There is every chance I won't go extended mag either. Im just trying to work out how many choices I am cutting off if I do go forward with the build.

At least Woodleigh have started turning out projectiles for the 425 again..
Yeah, the 404 Jeff is the question. A lot easier to get everything I need within Australia. Probably be a lot easier in may ways. Im just determined to look into the options as thoroughly as possible this time because I've gone the easy routs in the past and regretted it later on.

You might want to contact TSE (Total Solution Engineering) in Brisbane . They made a great 505 Gibbs barrel for a rifle of mine that was made by Bob de Vries at Kudu Services. As I understand it they geared up just for this rifle . 25 inch heavy profile - shoots like a dream .

No, it was a a left hand barrelled action, so a bit of a unicorn. The guy getting it made passed away and his brother was selling it. But the brother couldn't tell me if any feeding work had been done to it. So it was pretty difficult to work out how much work was left, and what to value it at. Anyhow, after speaking to Kudu, I decided it was too much of an unknown so didnt go ahead with it. I sold pretty quickly though, so I do wonder how it turned out.
Ah gotcha! The unknowns of buying a half finished project definitely make it interesting.

@rifletuner
Try MAB/ TSE engineering in Brisbane. I'm sure they make a barrel to suit in both stainless and Chrome Moly
Bob

You might want to contact TSE (Total Solution Engineering) in Brisbane . They made a great 505 Gibbs barrel for a rifle of mine that was made by Bob de Vries at Kudu Services. As I understand it they geared up just for this rifle . 25 inch heavy profile - shoots like a dream .
@PCC600
I have theee TSE barrels on rifles. The first one was a chrome Moly for my son's 25 when they were still operating as MAB. The other is a stainless on my Whelen and the other was another chrome Moly in my 444 Marlin. All shoot extremely well and very accurate.
Veronica is great to deal with, very helpful and Tony will discuss your needs with you and give you any advice you need
Biv

Jim Kent of Buffalo gunsmith in Toowoomba would be worth a call. He offered to build me one a while ago and said he had the feed issue with the rebated rim sorted.

Re Alex Beer, I thought he had retired from Gunsmithing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scottlinks

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt