Another Lion attack

Complacency! Just plain nuts.

I hope the guy recovers.

seen this on a chat thing am on......all i can say is familiarity breeds contempt......sorry for the person and the screaming woman/girl who still managed to keep on filming ....but as far as i am concerned if you want to go into a pen with a dangerous animal that can toss you around like a rag doll ...then always be ready to expect shit to happen very quickly.....and no rifle ......as i said familiarity breeds contempt......so more sympathy for the lion in these circumstances.......sure i will piss certain people off by saying that but as far as i am concerned thats how it is.......

Seriously? This is the owner of the game reserve and he does this? How has he managed to love this long? This could not be a tame lion - it appears that as soon as the lion turned around, the owner started to run. No "here kitty . . ." This was not a tame lion (if such a thing even exists). I feel bad for him, but frankly, what other outcome did he expect?

"somebody get a rifle...is anybody getting a rifle?" "get a rifle...just in case?" In case of what the lion eats somebody else??

Even the Lion tamer in the Circus had a whip and a chair when he when into the lion cage??? (Ah fond childhood memories)

If you run they think your food

Last edited:
As is said, familiarity breeds contempt. The man seemed to have lost all respect for the potential the lion possesses.

In my opinion his biggest mistake was to turn and run as it only served to further trigger the lion's instinct. Best would've been to stand his ground and attempt to appear as large and imposing as possible. Again, my opinion (and only that because I sure as heck don't know much about the situation, not to mention all that came before).

Seriously? This is the owner of the game reserve and he does this? How has he managed to love this long? This could not be a tame lion - it appears that as soon as the lion turned around, the owner started to run. No "here kitty . . ." This was not a tame lion (if such a thing even exists). I feel bad for him, but frankly, what other outcome did he expect?

Plus One

Another idiot fooling around with DG.

Opening the gate so that a vehicle can enter, why he walked so far into the enclosure and then turns and runs, who knows. They use a vehicle fitted with a cage on the back, a piece of meat is tied to the top of the cage, tourists then get inside the cage and the lion jumps on top of the cage so all the tourists can experience this while feeding.

The gunshots are actually from a revolver fired by a visitor who was apparently also inside the enclosure. First a couple of warning shots without effect and then once his daughter arrived after hearing the shots, he was instructed to shoot the lion, which he successfully did with the revolver.

Very lucky to survive the encounter with two fractured neck vertebrae and a broken jaw and even more lucky the visitor had a revolver and knew how to use it.

There is no medication for some actions taken by certain people.

The story gets stranger. News24 reported more recently that the injured man is expected to recover. They also reported that the lion had been "bottle-fed" since birth, and was tame. But that doesn't really jibe with what we see - it appears that the man on the left on the outside of the fence is leading the lion away from the viewer, holding something in his hands - food? As soon as lion hears or senses the owner kick something on the ground, the lion turns, and the man starts to hightail it back to the fence.

That doesn't really sound like someone who knew this was a tame lion - he tried to get away as soon as the lion became aware of his presence. Secondly, as some have commented, for someone who has apparently owned this lion since birth (lion is - or was, actually - 10 years old), you'd think he would know that running is not a great strategy - unless you're sure you can get to the fence before the lion. And if the lion wasn't tame enough (are any?) to be in the same enclosure, why would he have taken the risk of going in without at least a handgun - just in case? Hope is rarely a strategy . . .

Overall, one wonders if our 72 year old owner was thinking properly . . .

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6183196/lion-attack-british-safari-owner-video-makarele-south-africa/

MAULED BY BEAST First pics of Brit safari park owner in hospital after being brutally savaged by a lion as he walked through its enclosure in South Africa

The distressing clip, which is believed to be filmed in South Africa, shows the big cat pawing at Mike Hodge before dragging him into the undergrowth

Distressing footage shows Mike Hodge being attacked by the big cat on Saturday at the Makarele Predator Centre in Thabazimbi, South Africa.

Mike, who relocated from the UK with his wife Chrissy in 1999, is currently in hospital after suffering a "broken jaw and several lacerations" the family confirmed.

His wife Chrissy added in the statement that he is "recovering well" after being rushed to Mediclinic Hospital, in Thabazimbi.

The Brit was then transferred to a hospital in Johannesburg on the same day, Mediclinic confirmed.

Speaking with The Sun Online, a friend of Mike, who does not wish to be named, said the park owner was investigating a smell in the lion’s enclosure when the predator attacked him.

He said: “Mike and one of his rangers were a little concerned about a smell in a compound that was upsetting one of the lions and had gone in through the gate to see what was causing it.

"It had put the lion on edge but when Mike went in the lion turned and came for him and he ran but couldn't get through the gate quick enough and it had him.

"There is no information coming out of the hospital but all I know is that he is alive and his wife and daughter are with him.

“I do not know how badly hurt he is but he is a lovely guy and I wish him all the best.

"He is no fool around lions and knows how to interact with them but clearly something went wrong" she said.

In the footage, the lion spots Mike after he enters its enclosure and chases him towards the metal door of the facility.

In astonishing scenes, the elderly park owner is dragged like a rag doll towards some bushes.

Onlookers scream for help while the animal paws Mike, who does not appear to be moving.

The lion then drags him further into the bushes but then gunshots ring out and the lion is scared away.

But the predator remains near the victim while more shots are fired into the air.

One girl who is watching the attack is heard crying in horror as another man shouts for someone to “get a rifle.”

A spokeswoman for the family issued a statement to Newsweek confirming that the lion, named Shamba, was killed during the incident.

She said the family are "only too aware of the dangers of working with wildlife but they remain his passion" despite the attack.

The statement added that the family are "devastated" at the death of the animal which has been raised from a cub at the park.

According to their website, Mike and Chrissy started a lion project in Thabazimbi, northern South Africa, in 2003 before opening the Marakele Animal Sanctuary in 2009.

And due to the park's popularity, the couple created the predator centre within the sanctuary featuring at least a dozen big cats, including white lions, cheetahs and two Bengal tigers.

Marakele remains closed following the attack while Chrissy was said to be too upset to comment on the incident.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceC

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!