Another Frankfurt Firearms question

45bthompson

AH member
Reaction score
I'm taking my father on our first safari in April of 22. I have read about the problems of traveling through Frankfurt with rifles and I wonder if there are any updates. It looks like most of the threads were 10 years old. We are planning on flying United starting in Omaha, NE then up to Newark, NJ then straight to JNB. Our return will go from JNB through Frankfurt then on to Newark and finally back to Omaha. Are my guns going to make it back? Do I need some kind of permit? I'm using points to pay for the flights so I don't have a lot of options.

Are you using a travel agent versed in transiting other countries with firearms? Went through there in '14 and needed some type of transfer permit. Gracy Travel handled it.

Use of a firearms-knowledgeable travel agent is a really good idea. To answer your question however, YES you do need a permit to transit Germany with a firearm. Unfortunately, I don't have the contact information for the Frankfurt airport, as we transited Munich (each airport has its own permit office).

Information that they will need (these can be emailed to the permit office):

* Firearm's License (if available) [Note: Assuming that you are in the USA this would normally be a CBP Form 4457 unless your state issues a permit to possess a firearm]
* Invitation (for competition / training / hunting) [Usually from the outfitter or PH]
* Rifle data (type, manufacturer, caliber, serial number)
* Ammunition (amount, caliber)
* Flight data (date, flight numbers, arrival time in Frankfurt)
* Address in the USA
* Telephone number

I recommend that you start this process 2-3 months ahead of time, as the process takes time and they will snail-mail the permit to you.

I'm taking my father on our first safari in April of 22. I have read about the problems of traveling through Frankfurt with rifles and I wonder if there are any updates. It looks like most of the threads were 10 years old. We are planning on flying United starting in Omaha, NE then up to Newark, NJ then straight to JNB. Our return will go from JNB through Frankfurt then on to Newark and finally back to Omaha. Are my guns going to make it back? Do I need some kind of permit? I'm using points to pay for the flights so I don't have a lot of options.
Hello,
Pls look at www.frankfurt.de/mitnahmeerlaubnis
That s the gun office at Frankfurt airport.
Brgds,
Marc

I found another flight a day later that goes direct to Newark. I decided that it was worth the extra money to avoid the worry and hassle of Europe. I'm sure this info will still be helpful to those looking for it though. Thanks for your help!

With what is going on today on the covid front you should be using a travel agent.

United and Delta may be questionable again

+1 for Gracy Travel. I have used them for 2 safaris- 2019 and 2021. Doug handled things flawlessly. We had an airline keep changing and eventually canceling our flight. Doug informed us along the way and ultimately rebooked us with another airline cheaper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldpatnners

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,