Another airline ticket thread

62flint

AH fanatic
Joined
Jul 28, 2023
Messages
555
Reaction score
1,093
Media
3
Hunted
SA
Heading to Johannesburg next june, When is the best time to buy tickets? Looking at hopper the app says to wait.
Feel like a dog chasing my tail. Buy now and the prices drop or wait and they go up?
 
I always start looking seriously around 6 months out. Other than during the Covid years all of the flights on Delta have been full so if you see a price you like pull the trigger on it.

But Jennifer at @TRAVEL EXPRESS should give you a good professional answer.
 
I just priced on delta 6/25 - 7/13 Tampa - Atlanta - Johannesburg. It's prime season (regular tourists and hunters) so the prices were high relative to off season. Premium Economy for 2 is $9,794. Oh my. I'm waiting to confirm hunt date options with my outfitter and then will have Jennifer look at best option for travel with firearms.
 
I just priced on delta 6/25 - 7/13 Tampa - Atlanta - Johannesburg. It's prime season (regular tourists and hunters) so the prices were high relative to off season. Premium Economy for 2 is $9,794. Oh my. I'm waiting to confirm hunt date options with my outfitter and then will have Jennifer look at best option for travel with firearms.

I flew Premium for first time this past June. Personally it was not worth the added expense over Comfort + to me for what little it offered. I will stick with Comfort+

I usually start shopping and keeping an eye on flights as soon as they open for my dates. I have Jennifer on look out also. When you see a price you can live with have her book it. I found a big drop one morning about 6am and text Jennifer and she got it secured before it jumped up again.
 
Back when I flew over in 2022 I looked at flights and prices on Qatar. If I would of purchased my tickets right then I could of flown business class, but I had a agency doing the tickets and I ended up flying cattle class for the same price that I could of flown business.

You just never know if they are going to go up or down, anymore the odds of them going up in price is more likely than them going down.

I believe that you can't purchase tickets more than 11 months out.
 
United was a bit cheaper than delta if you don’t mind going through Newark.
Quatar was also cheaper but significantly longer and not worth the time lost for me.
 
WE BUY OURS AS SOON AS THEY ARE ON SALE AND STOP CHECKING THE PRICE AT THAT POINT.
 
@Mark Biggerstaff

Thanks for the input on Economy+ vs. Select. Will keep that in mind as we finalize 2025. What really got me, is that I was considering Ndumo's late season cancellation hunt. When Jennifer and I priced out Select for October 27 - November 12 2024 two people was $5,800. Much more palatable than the June 2025 price.
 
Heading to Johannesburg next june, When is the best time to buy tickets? Looking at hopper the app says to wait.
Feel like a dog chasing my tail. Buy now and the prices drop or wait and they go up?
Oh boy, you're in for alot of recommendations to hire a travel agent. I just posted something like this about 4-6 weeks ago and I got all kinds these too.

My opinion: it depends on a number of variables. What class you are flying, are you taking a rifle, and what is your time searching worth?

I'm headed to JNB next May and bought 3 weeks too late...or just right, depending how you want to look at it. I had planned to take my own rifle on United through EWR. While watching and waiting for the right time the tickets went from $1300 to $1400 then $1500 in 3 weeks time. I changed my plans and am now renting a rifle from my PH. This meant I could fly BA through LHR and the RT tickets were $900. Right after booking these they went up to $1200 and now are $1500. I understand that the difference in $900 and $1500 is minimal in the whole picture of the overall cost, but $600 saved to me times 4 passengers is real $$.
 
Heading to Johannesburg next june, When is the best time to buy tickets? Looking at hopper the app says to wait.
Feel like a dog chasing my tail. Buy now and the prices drop or wait and they go up?

6-8 months is what I try to do. When I hunt SA I buy my own tickets, Cameroon, Zim and Uganda I’ve used a travel agent.
 
As soon as they become available. Get the seat you want .
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,308
Messages
1,572,366
Members
169,546
Latest member
MariaCross
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top