Another 45-70 for Dangerous Game Question

He who dies with the most rifles wins the game! Can't have too many. I have the Marlin lever gun in 45-70 gov. And it's a great gun. As previously posted it would have done the job but I decided on a bigger faster moving bullet. However, I love the 45-70 and it is a beast slayer. Having now been on the DG hunt for lioness and Cape buffalo I can honestly say I would have been fine with the Marlin and it's 325 grain round for the lioness. Frankly I can get second and third rounds of faster with it than I can the bolt action 416 Ruger that I bought new for the hunt.

For how much ammo is selling for right now I'm pretty upset!!!!!

Maybe when I'm in a better place, I'll laugh about it. But shooting guns is an expensive hobby right now.

I totally agree.
I wish I could be at the shooting range much more often, but ammo has become very expensive.

I never suggested was a good idea. I just know people that have tried to make it an everyday rifle.
I personally don't own an 45-70. I own way too many guns already!

Hi Enysse (and Sestoppleman),

In case anyone thinks I am a skeptic of the .45-70, I am not claiming that it would not do a buffalo up proper, with the right bullet in the right place (like any caliber).

I believe it probably would do an adequate job.

My earlier post was only meant to be a tongue-in-cheek way of saying:
In my total of one thick skinned DG animal so far experience, I'd prefer to just use one of the well established African DG cartridges for African DG.

Kind Regards,
Velo Dog.

Velo, So would I. This has been hammered around for quite some time. The .45-70 has its fans and detractors. It would not be my first choice, but I do feel with proper loads it would be adequate for anything, especially if that was what was in ones hands.

I guess I'm a traditionalist, the Big 5 starts with the 375 H&H, some will say the 9.3x62 and other various calibers but I love my CZ 550 375H&H and that to me is the minimum. And that is just my opinion.
I have no doubt other smaller calibers will work. Some one killed a lot of elephants with a 7x57.

The penetration potential of a 45-70 is anemic. Also when compared with a stick and string.

If I ever get to hunt DG, I am pretty sure I won't be carrying a 45-70.

But, I have owned a few, and I have chronographed the 500 grain Hornady at just over 1,800 fps.

I don't think the penetration of those rounds would be called anemic by too many folks!

tarbe, you got that right! To try to compare carefully crafted .45-70 handloads with modern bullets at modern velocities to Trapdoor Springfield loads with soft lead bullets is a severe case of 'apples to oranges'!

The Hornady Leverevolution loads will get down range at 2000 fps in a 325 gr expanding bullet to cause some big wounds. As stated earlier the 416 I used on the lioness did great damage but went clean through her shoulders breaking bone on both sides. I suspect the 45-70 would have tumbled around inside her doing even greater damage. At the end of the day I opted for bigger and faster as well but I might take it , the 45-70, with me next time and use it on the lion.
Tarbe as you said those rounds are not anemic. There is a YouTube video showing a guy firing his 45-70 into a dead Cape Buffalo that does pass through the beast but you can't tell how close he is when firing. I think he was close in to get that result.

Velo, So would I. This has been hammered around for quite some time. The .45-70 has its fans and detractors. It would not be my first choice, but I do feel with proper loads it would be adequate for anything, especially if that was what was in ones hands.

Agreed.

In African dangerous game cartridges by Pierre van der Walt it is mentioned that the .457 wild west magnum which is a stretched version of the 45-70 is used by PH Danie van Graan from Malelane.
I know this is a bit after the fact, but better late than never.
Danie van Grann (who happens to be a friend of mine) uses a Wild West Guns Co-Pilot in .45-70 not the .457 Magnum as erroneously reported in Pierre van der Walt's book. (I've approach Mr. van der Walt about a correction.) Jeff Cooper (who was also a friend of mine) gifted the rifle to Danie. I've handled, but not shot, this rifle at Danie's place. Danie has taken buffalo for rations with it because that's what he had and it's his favorite rifle for back up on cats, but he in no way recommends the .45-70 for as a chambering for any client to bring for buffalo, and he says there is no way he would ever willingly use any .45-70 on elephant. It will kill them, but...

CB

Last edited:
I know this is a bit after the fact, but better late than never.

CB

Never too late for additional pertinent information.

Welcome aboard CB!

Tim

I love my 45-70 and it is a fantastic weapon with more than adequate energy and penetration for any animal in North America. The Marlin's remain a favorite among lots of people in Grizzly country.

That doesn't make it adequate or recommended for African Dangerous Game. I was told I'd be more than welcomed to bring it and use it on anything up to and including Blue Wildebeest but that if I wanted to shoot a buff with it the only way he'd allow it would be to have the PH or Francois fire immediate backup shots.

Even the .375 H&H has nearly double the energy of the 45-70 shooting much lighter bullets.

There's no sense traveling half way around the world to put yourself and others at risk shooting a rifle that's just not up to the challenge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg