An old solution to Priming

Ray B

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
It may be the primer- I generally use WW or Fed primers but a got some CCIs, which I haven't used in about 40 years. I went to prime some cases and the first two primers "flipped" in the priming ram and got deformed, making them useless. Back when I used CCI primers I recall having similar problems so it may be something about the primer, however I wanted to use the remaining primers so looked around for some means of "priming" the cases. I got out an old Lyman 310 tool kit and screwed in the priming die. Worked like a charm. I doubt that I'll use the press mounted primer arm- the 310 is easier to use and provides clear vision of the process as well as "feel". Photographs of the squashed primers, RCBS frame mounted primer arm and Lyman 310 tool.

DSC_1150.JPG
DSC_1151.JPG
DSC_1152.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Ever since the priming bar on my old RCBS Jr. press broke (spring) years ago, I use their priming tool. You can feel the primer being seated into the case primer pocket. I'm not in a hurry when I'm reloading, so it works fine for me.

A Lee auto prime is like the 310 loader with a tray to take 100primers.

It’s available in a kit with all the common shell holders . Reasonably priced and pretty popular I think.

The shell holders used in the auto prime are not press shell holder they are really just the top part without the reduced shank and second rim.

Reactions: WAB
I’ve used both the lee and the ribs handheld priming tools. They are both great and much better than a priming arm on a reloader.

I use more CCI than anything else. I had had the issue of primers flipping on their side with handgun primers, but not rifle primers when using the press’s priming system.

I have an old Lee hand primer, works great, but it won't allow me to prime the 416 Rigby cases so I have had to use the little arm on the rock chucker . I much prefer the hand held unit. How do you guys prime for the Rigby? Do the newer hand held units accept that fat case?

I have an old Lee hand primer, works great, but it won't allow me to prime the 416 Rigby cases so I have had to use the little arm on the rock chucker . I much prefer the hand held unit. How do you guys prime for the Rigby? Do the newer hand held units accept that fat case?

So odd, my lee is the same but the RCBS will allow you to prime the larger cases.

Thanks @WAB ! Does the rcbs one take normal shell holders or do they need specific ones like the lee system? One of the few pieces of my reloading gear that I don't have multiples of , always a good excuse to buy some reloading gear.

Thanks @WAB ! Does the rcbs one take normal shell holders or do they need specific ones like the lee system? One of the few pieces of my reloading gear that I don't have multiples of , always a good excuse to buy some reloading gear.

The normal holder u use in your press if I recall correctly.

I like the lee but I think the rcbs is better quality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AshleyOyi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg