An old solution to Priming

Ray B

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
It may be the primer- I generally use WW or Fed primers but a got some CCIs, which I haven't used in about 40 years. I went to prime some cases and the first two primers "flipped" in the priming ram and got deformed, making them useless. Back when I used CCI primers I recall having similar problems so it may be something about the primer, however I wanted to use the remaining primers so looked around for some means of "priming" the cases. I got out an old Lyman 310 tool kit and screwed in the priming die. Worked like a charm. I doubt that I'll use the press mounted primer arm- the 310 is easier to use and provides clear vision of the process as well as "feel". Photographs of the squashed primers, RCBS frame mounted primer arm and Lyman 310 tool.

DSC_1150.JPG
DSC_1151.JPG
DSC_1152.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

CoElkHunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Ever since the priming bar on my old RCBS Jr. press broke (spring) years ago, I use their priming tool. You can feel the primer being seated into the case primer pocket. I'm not in a hurry when I'm reloading, so it works fine for me.

CBH Australia

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
A Lee auto prime is like the 310 loader with a tray to take 100primers.

It’s available in a kit with all the common shell holders . Reasonably priced and pretty popular I think.

The shell holders used in the auto prime are not press shell holder they are really just the top part without the reduced shank and second rim.

Reactions: WAB

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
I’ve used both the lee and the ribs handheld priming tools. They are both great and much better than a priming arm on a reloader.

meigsbucks

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA Life Member
Hunted
Zimbabwe and Namibia
I use more CCI than anything else. I had had the issue of primers flipping on their side with handgun primers, but not rifle primers when using the press’s priming system.

machinistbutler

Silver supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada Namibia
I have an old Lee hand primer, works great, but it won't allow me to prime the 416 Rigby cases so I have had to use the little arm on the rock chucker . I much prefer the hand held unit. How do you guys prime for the Rigby? Do the newer hand held units accept that fat case?

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
I have an old Lee hand primer, works great, but it won't allow me to prime the 416 Rigby cases so I have had to use the little arm on the rock chucker . I much prefer the hand held unit. How do you guys prime for the Rigby? Do the newer hand held units accept that fat case?

So odd, my lee is the same but the RCBS will allow you to prime the larger cases.

machinistbutler

Silver supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada Namibia
Thanks @WAB ! Does the rcbs one take normal shell holders or do they need specific ones like the lee system? One of the few pieces of my reloading gear that I don't have multiples of , always a good excuse to buy some reloading gear.

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Thanks @WAB ! Does the rcbs one take normal shell holders or do they need specific ones like the lee system? One of the few pieces of my reloading gear that I don't have multiples of , always a good excuse to buy some reloading gear.

The normal holder u use in your press if I recall correctly.

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
I like the lee but I think the rcbs is better quality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abellealker

Latest profile posts

Tally-Ho Hunting Safaris wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J