Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Asia/M.East
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan, Czech Republic
Just a quick Q to those who may have had this same issue.

I placed all my ammo for this may in my lockable case and it weighed 13 lb - including the 3.5 lb case. Has anyone had an issue with this? The weight restriction is on ammo but of course you just never know what someone behind the counter may say about this type of thing. Anyone ever have any problems with this.

Diamond Hitch

TSA ... will check your ammo case sometimes. I did have this happen to me. They will weight the case then take the ammo out and reweigh the case and contents to see what weight you have.

I have found that using the grocery store scales to weight a box of ammo a very good fit. I double check this against the manufacture weight for the box of ammo.

The case is locked and placed in my luggage and that is locked also. South Africa airlines likes it this way. I have found that 5 boxes of ammo will bring you close to the 11 pounds your are allowed. (depending on the rifle caliber) . Close will get you by, i also put my shell holder, knife and ear plugs in the shell case, never had an issue.

Thanks James, this is the first time I have had more than a total of 11lb (ammo + box) so I wanted to find out now rather than argueing at check in time.

Get the wrong guy and you may still have an argument.
If all else fails take a few bullets out and give them to them as a gift. Preferably in original condition. :)

Case and TSA locks?

What do you guys recommend for an ammo case and are TSA locks the best to use so they can open it if needed? Thanks!

Get the wrong guy and you may still have an argument.
If all else fails take a few bullets out and give them to them as a gift. Preferably in original condition. :)

Pelican makes a nice ammo box. I use Cabelas. I try to use non TSA locks.

Ok so I am still confused so please help me out. If the TSA looks in my luggage and find the lockable box, won't they want to open it like the hunter above described? Wouldn't a TSA lock be the only option then?

That's a interesting question Scott....I'm not sure what the right answer is.
You could put a TSA lock while it's in your luggage bag and then change over to a non-TSA lock. Usually if you are traveling with guns the TSA people put 2 and 2 together...especially when they know how touchy hunters are about someone messing with their ammo or gun.

A non-TSA lock on your gun case.........a TSA lock on your ammo box....you should have no problems. The 11 pounds is for ammo and should not include the weight of your lock box.
Good hunting!

One question, 100 different answers! I just throw my ammo in my luggage and forget it, unlocked in factory or similar boxes. Thats all thats usually called for.

Slightly off topic. Why so much ammo ?

I budget 6 rounds per animal (covers sight in, hunting and emergencies). This was recommended to me and has worked so far. I round the total up to the nearest box of 20.

I've always brought the maximum I'm allowed, and have never used most of what I bring. But ammo is very expensive in Africa, and good ammo is generally hard to find (I tend to use Barnes X bullets). So I end up leaving a bunch of decent ammo behind, and every PH I've had has been grateful.

Slightly off topic. Why so much ammo ?

I budget 6 rounds per animal (covers sight in, hunting and emergencies). This was recommended to me and has worked so far. I round the total up to the nearest box of 20.

I brought enough to complete the safari with either of my 2 guns, you can never be too careful plus one was a .338 Lapua which is what upped the total weight so much. Still by your calculation I would have needed 78 rounds on that safari anyway (even more if I had filled my list) LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross