Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Asia/M.East
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan, Czech Republic
Just a quick Q to those who may have had this same issue.

I placed all my ammo for this may in my lockable case and it weighed 13 lb - including the 3.5 lb case. Has anyone had an issue with this? The weight restriction is on ammo but of course you just never know what someone behind the counter may say about this type of thing. Anyone ever have any problems with this.

James.Grage

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, ATA, PITA, NAHC, NAFC, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF
Hunted
USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe
Diamond Hitch

TSA ... will check your ammo case sometimes. I did have this happen to me. They will weight the case then take the ammo out and reweigh the case and contents to see what weight you have.

I have found that using the grocery store scales to weight a box of ammo a very good fit. I double check this against the manufacture weight for the box of ammo.

The case is locked and placed in my luggage and that is locked also. South Africa airlines likes it this way. I have found that 5 boxes of ammo will bring you close to the 11 pounds your are allowed. (depending on the rifle caliber) . Close will get you by, i also put my shell holder, knife and ear plugs in the shell case, never had an issue.

Diamondhitch

AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.diamondhitch.webs.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Asia/M.East
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan, Czech Republic
Thanks James, this is the first time I have had more than a total of 11lb (ammo + box) so I wanted to find out now rather than argueing at check in time.

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
Get the wrong guy and you may still have an argument.
If all else fails take a few bullets out and give them to them as a gift. Preferably in original condition. :)

Scott CWO

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
SCI, WSF, RMEF, GSCO, and NRA
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Mozambique x3, Tanzania and CAR. Tajikistan, Canada, Mexico, AK, WY, NM, SD, CO, UT, AZ, NV
Case and TSA locks?

What do you guys recommend for an ammo case and are TSA locks the best to use so they can open it if needed? Thanks!

Get the wrong guy and you may still have an argument.
If all else fails take a few bullets out and give them to them as a gift. Preferably in original condition. :)

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
Pelican makes a nice ammo box. I use Cabelas. I try to use non TSA locks.

Scott CWO

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
SCI, WSF, RMEF, GSCO, and NRA
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Mozambique x3, Tanzania and CAR. Tajikistan, Canada, Mexico, AK, WY, NM, SD, CO, UT, AZ, NV
Ok so I am still confused so please help me out. If the TSA looks in my luggage and find the lockable box, won't they want to open it like the hunter above described? Wouldn't a TSA lock be the only option then?

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
That's a interesting question Scott....I'm not sure what the right answer is.
You could put a TSA lock while it's in your luggage bag and then change over to a non-TSA lock. Usually if you are traveling with guns the TSA people put 2 and 2 together...especially when they know how touchy hunters are about someone messing with their ammo or gun.

MT Griz

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Zimbabwe, Namibia, USA- Montana, Alaska
A non-TSA lock on your gun case.........a TSA lock on your ammo box....you should have no problems. The 11 pounds is for ammo and should not include the weight of your lock box.
Good hunting!

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
One question, 100 different answers! I just throw my ammo in my luggage and forget it, unlocked in factory or similar boxes. Thats all thats usually called for.

Code4

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia, Zimbabwe, RSA (2), NZ (2), UK.
Slightly off topic. Why so much ammo ?

I budget 6 rounds per animal (covers sight in, hunting and emergencies). This was recommended to me and has worked so far. I round the total up to the nearest box of 20.

Hank2211

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
Hunted
Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Argentina
I've always brought the maximum I'm allowed, and have never used most of what I bring. But ammo is very expensive in Africa, and good ammo is generally hard to find (I tend to use Barnes X bullets). So I end up leaving a bunch of decent ammo behind, and every PH I've had has been grateful.

Diamondhitch

AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.diamondhitch.webs.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Asia/M.East
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Slightly off topic. Why so much ammo ?

I budget 6 rounds per animal (covers sight in, hunting and emergencies). This was recommended to me and has worked so far. I round the total up to the nearest box of 20.

I brought enough to complete the safari with either of my 2 guns, you can never be too careful plus one was a .338 Lapua which is what upped the total weight so much. Still by your calculation I would have needed 78 rounds on that safari anyway (even more if I had filled my list) LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SonTpx8169

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.
Rickmt wrote on Leica Sport Optics's profile.
will Leica Amplus 6-2.5x15x50 fit on a pro success Blaser with low mount?