AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
AK WSF, AMM, DSC, GOA, GRAA, NRA, PHASA, SCI, WSF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe and Argentina, Canada, England, Macedonia, Mexico, Serbia, Alaska, USA
Next week I fly to Joberg, spend the night and then on to Harare. I'm taking my W.J. Jeffery .475 No. 2 Jeffery double and my Holland & Holland 375 H&H. So I needed a light weight ammo crate so I could carry solids and softs for both.

I decided on a MTM ACR4-18 Ammo Crate Utility Box that I bought at Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/MTM-ACR4-18-Ammo-Crate-Utility/dp/B01CNP4HMG?ref_=ast_sto_dp

I weighed the "crate" on a postal scale. 1lbs 15.7ozs.
IMG_8662.JPG

Then I picked up a bunch of different sized PolyFoam from Hobby Lobby for cushioning the ammo, and cut to fit with a retractable razor knife. A 1" thick piece for the bottom and a 1" thick piece for the top, and a 3" thick piece to surround the ammo boxes.
IMG_8663.JPG

Two boxes, 20 rounds each, of 475 No. 2 Jeffery (one solids and one softs). And two boxes, 20 rounds each, of 375 H&H (one solids and one softs). Then I weighed everything. Over 12 pounds. Crap. The weight comes primarily from the 475 No. 2 Jeffery ammo. These boys are big. Here is a comparison with a 500NE (which is on the right).
IMG_6803.jpg

Since the 375 H&H is primarily a back up gun, and ammo will be easy to find in country if needed, I decided to combine 10 rounds of solids and 10 rounds of softs into a single box and leave the other 20 rounds behind. I cut a piece of foam the size of the left behind ammo box.
IMG_8666.JPG

Weighed it all again. 10lbs 6.6oz.
IMG_8667.JPG

Now to get a couple of lightweight locks. Might go over 11lbs with those, but I've never had ammo weighed before and if it happens I figure I can talk my way around the locks.

Of course the Ammo Crate sticker came off and I'll replace it with a bunch of unicorns and rainbows or something.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-07 at 8.04.29 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-07 at 8.04.29 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
I'm sure you know to lock it with a lock only you have the key too. 11 LBS is the maximum allowance for ammo I believe so looks like you are good to go. Should be .375HH ammo in Zimbabwe if you need it.
Have a fantastic safari!

Should be good to go.
Enjoy your hunt.

Thanks!

In theory if you read most airlines terms and conditions of carriage they state “5kgs of ammunition packed in a suitable container. I’ve given up trying to argue that point of ammunition plus container. Put the locks on after it had been weighed if you are up to the limit.

Get in touch with Mr. Conrad at Safari & Outdoor in Johannesburg and arrange with him what you want. He will put it aside for you. Your import permit will allow you to buy ammunition.

South Africa suffers from ammunition shortages - two years ago it was impossible to buy .470NE. Don't expect just to be able to buy ammunition off the shelf.

The .475 Jeffery or No. 2 is an enormous bullet (over 4.3"). JA Hunter used a rifle in this calibre.

Get in touch with Mr. Conrad at Safari & Outdoor in Johannesburg and arrange with him what you want. He will put it aside for you. Your import permit will allow you to buy ammunition.
Great idea ! Cuts down on the hassle. Stops border agents, customs etc crawling over your kit with a fine toothcomb and contributes to the local economy.

I've never had anyone weigh my ammo, that I know of anyway! However, I would keep the total below 11lbs just to be sure.

Duct tape the lock(s) to the side of the crate. If flopping around, it might get caught on something and ripped off.
Yep got to do that for sure. They can even break latches inside a checked bag, talented in destruction they sure are.

Yep got to do that for sure. They can even break latches inside a checked bag, talented in destruction they sure are.
Oh, and don't use red duct tape. There's a certain security gal at Joberg airport who has a fetish for the stuff. She swiped my roll from carryon right in front of me. Then even got the okay from her supervisor when I briefly objected. It went into the drawer next to her purse/lunch. Go with the butt ugly gray stuff. If she likes that then she is hopelessly kinky.

For traveling I just use the cheap Harbor Freight tape that is next to worthless unless you use multiple layers of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
divydestination1

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?