Ammo choice?

marknunemaker

New member
Joined
Jul 26, 2026
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Location
Indiana
Member of
Whitetail unlimited, turkey foundation
What is a good choice round for 7mm prc and 30.06 for plains game.
 
Let me add me and my son's target list, Zebra, wildebeest, gemsbuck,warthog,impala,kudu,blesbuck.
 
If you are looking for factory ammo in those calibers I would look at either Barnes 175-180 grain TTSX, Federal Premium 180 GrainTerminal Ascent or Nosler Trophy Grade with 180 grain Accubonds
 
Swift also has their 180 grain A Frames available in .30-06 but they don’t load 7PRC. A frames are my favorite bullet for Africa
 
The Barnes X and Hornady Outfitter ammo seem to give good results in a lot of rifles.
 
I like Swift A-Frames. For the 30-06, a 180 gr bullet would be what I'd pick.

For the 7 PRC, a 175 gr bullet would be my preference. I'd look to Hendershots to see if they custom load this.
 
The 7PRC Federal Terminal Ascent 170 grain are stellar. Pretty accurate for factory loads - less than 10 SD and shot 1/2” with my proof. Hold up well at close range and still open consistently out past 300 yards.
I would also recommend the terminal ascent for 30-06 if you’re limited to factory ammo that’s a solid choice. But you can’t go wrong with Swifts or TSX, may want to get one box of each and see which shoots best.

I used 175 gr 308 terminal ascent this last safari - every bullet opened as it was supposed to and got great penetration.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,292
Messages
1,570,787
Members
169,018
Latest member
JaimeHanks
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top