Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa
i was excited when I discovered this book as I have read some information about the author and he is someone I respect and admire. This book was originally written in German and translated years later to englsih. He has written several other books only in German which I would like to read as well should they someday (unlikely) become available in English. The German translation is a bit rusty to read but once I got lost in the stories, I didn’t notice it very much.
I much enjoyed reading the authors personal hunts for springbok and kudu etc. which receive as much attention as his later telling a of grand elephant hunts. His adventures spread into other countries as well, which I loved. He also shows much respect for the little birds and things many people overlook.
It is not a book concerned with rifles and cartridges and ballistics-none of the sort. There was far too much essay type examination of thoughts and feelings for my taste-several chapters too much. . .
This is a man who loves his country and loves hunting when it is done well and you get
To be a part of these things as you read. Often after reading I would stand up and feel a need to brush the dust off my knees after sharing a good experience in the desert.
I most likely will never get to hunt an elephant, but would be beyond overjoyed to spend hours and days tracking the common native species with the author and maybe track an elephant with just my camera.
The photographs in the book are wonderful, supporting the stories and stretching my imagination.
This is the type of book I wish every professional hunter would write!
5AF8CD7D-0429-4448-99BF-94CB2DB0959D.jpeg

Thank you for sharing. I’ll try and find that book. He has also written “About the Spirit of the African Wilderness - On the trail of old elephant bulls”. This book has also been translated in to English. My Namibian PH gave me a copy as a gift. Great information on hunting Elephants.

i was excited when I discovered this book as I have read some information about the author and he is someone I respect and admire. This book was originally written in German and translated years later to englsih. He has written several other books only in German which I would like to read as well should they someday (unlikely) become available in English. The German translation is a bit rusty to read but once I got lost in the stories, I didn’t notice it very much.
I much enjoyed reading the authors personal hunts for springbok and kudu etc. which receive as much attention as his later telling a of grand elephant hunts. His adventures spread into other countries as well, which I loved. He also shows much respect for the little birds and things many people overlook.
It is not a book concerned with rifles and cartridges and ballistics-none of the sort. There was far too much essay type examination of thoughts and feelings for my taste-several chapters too much. . .
This is a man who loves his country and loves hunting when it is done well and you get
To be a part of these things as you read. Often after reading I would stand up and feel a need to brush the dust off my knees after sharing a good experience in the desert.
I most likely will never get to hunt an elephant, but would be beyond overjoyed to spend hours and days tracking the common native species with the author and maybe track an elephant with just my camera.
The photographs in the book are wonderful, supporting the stories and stretching my imagination.
This is the type of book I wish every professional hunter would write!View attachment 507312
Thanks for sharing the review. I actually have Kai-Uwe Denker's "About the Spirit of the African Wilderness." I was fortunate enough to meet him at one of the conventions when I was in the middle of writing my book. He was kind enough to talk to me and mark some spots in his book that would be great research etc. I'm ashamed to say that even though I have a signed copy, I have yet to read the entire thing. It is 650 pages and I was overwhelmed with the whole process of self-publishing my book etc. I read the stuff he suggested and went on to finishing my book. I'm so glad you posted this because I had forgotten about it. Now it is time to go back and read it. Like you said in your critique, this book also has AMAZING pictures...and I'm sure the adventures are equally as amazing. Merry Christmas to you!
IMG_0214.jpeg

IMG_0215.jpeg

That page alone makes your copy pricelsss! Here is the book I wish was in English-if I could read German I would already own a copy!
E4D2636C-210C-48AF-BD4D-13D226770E4E.jpeg

That page alone makes your copy pricelsss! Here is the book I wish was in English-if I could read German I would already own a copy!View attachment 507370
Darn, it's too bad it isn't in English! I bet it isn't available digitally either...because if it was, you would think it could be translated fairly easy with all the technology of the day. AND, yes, I am so fortunate to have that signature and to have met him. I look forward to reading the book. My life has been nuts the last few years and I have hardly been able to read just for fun. I thought writing the book was hard....but it turns out that was the easy part. LOL.

I’ve just put this title down on my list of books to buy. Thanks for the suggestion.

I have the German and English versions of “Along the Hunter Path”. Fantastic book. Definitely in my top ten

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OdessaHayg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.