Alaska hunt...

many use .223 on an ar platform for caribou and moose for meat for their villages. ive seen them floating the noatak river with this setup.

Well, more likely mini14s than ARs. And they (indigenous) are allowed to shoot at animals in the water, which nobody else is. I still more often see them with a Mosin or old 30-06. A hunting party on water, is still less likely to have an encounter than just a pair of hunting buddies.
 
Great advice from all…
I’ve hunted there 4 times in TONGAS FOREST…. Black bear / wolf… used 338 WM
270 ….. but these are NICE RIFLES …. Take what you have but I’m going back in May 2024 and taking STAINLESS SYN STOCK…. Salt and weather hard on rifles
Will be in 280 AI
 
Well, more likely mini14s than ARs. And they (indigenous) are allowed to shoot at animals in the water, which nobody else is. I still more often see them with a Mosin or old 30-06. A hunting party on water, is still less likely to have an encounter than just a pair of hunting buddies.
the ones i saw ran upriver in a boat with ar’s, then floated down. i was on a fly in trip out of Kotzebue. being as isolated as some of the villages are, they use what is most practical/available.
 
i live on the east side of alaska: the yukon. i used so far 270 win, 375 ruger, 9.3x62, 30-06, 308 win, 340 wea mag, 300 win mag, 300 wea mag, 338 win mag and 458 win mag .
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,275
Messages
1,571,365
Members
169,344
Latest member
linebet
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top