AHR upgrades: safety

mark-hunter

AH ambassador
Joined
Aug 14, 2016
Messages
6,696
Reaction score
14,061
Media
59
Articles
2
Hunting reports
Africa
4
Member of
Hunting club, target shooting club, national hunting and shooting organisations
Hunted
6 safaris; Namibia: Kalahari, Khomas Highland, Caprivi; Zimbabwe: Doma area, Far East, Croatia
For those who may know:
Is the safety from AHR (American hunting rifles) company for CZ 550 or ZKK 602, made of steel or inox?
If made of steel, does it need tempering or similar procedure before installation?
 
I believe the upgraded side-safety 3-position in the model 70 style is a custom part made of steel. I do not believe they are reusing the factory shroud, they are deleting the factory safety, filling the stock with a dutchman where it once was, and installing a new safety on the bolt.

It is not as simple of a job as a mauser 98.
 
@rookhawk is correct. The replacement unit (lever and shroud) is steel. Mine got an upgraded stock, so no dutchman was needed.
 
Here is a picture of an AHR safety installed on a ZKK 602. It just needs blueing but works perfectly

a9ad2a86-ca0f-424d-92da-08565c6a5c3a.jpeg
19ff21ab-851b-4a82-8188-8052a6e84624.jpeg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Steel and the one I got from AHR to put on my ZKK 602 did not require any treatment other than bluing. It is not an easy "plug and play" change. Make sure your gunsmith knows what they are doing.
 
Steel and the one I got from AHR to put on my ZKK 602 did not require any treatment other than bluing. It is not an easy "plug and play" change. Make sure your gunsmith knows what they are doing.
I would second this, the timing of the safety took my smith a good while but as said before it now works perfectly.
 
Here is a picture of an AHR safety installed on a ZKK 602. It just needs blueing but works perfectly
It looks great, exactly like a Recknagel Secura or a M70-safety for the M98.
 
Make sure your gunsmith knows what they are doing.
That was the purpose of my post, to collect all info. (y)

Tempered or non tempered remains the question.
 
That was the purpose of my post, to collect all info. (y)

Tempered or non tempered remains the question.
I purchased one directly from Wayne at AHR. I am guessing you mean hardened when you say tempered? If so then yes, it was of hardened steel. Correct fitting to the ZKK 602 required a specific milling tool designed for hardened steel for the job. Additionally, the “battery and timing” for the conversion, required understanding of the design theory and some fine tuning for reliable function.

Also, if the ZKK 602 has a set trigger, converting to a simple single stage trigger is relatively straight forward. The simple, single stage design is not particularly adjustable except for smoothness of the creep.
 
All parts of the CZ 550/BRNO ZKK safeties are hardened, except for the cocking piece which we leave soft so the gunsmith can set sear gap. After setting the gap the gunsmith must harden it.
The safety body is made of 1144 (Stressproof) steel. The detent and locking pin are made of O1 tool steel. The lever and cocking piece are made of 1018 low carbon steel.

Cheers,
Wayne
 
After installing on my ZKK 602, exactly as per your description, it works flawlessly! And there is no sound when switching safety! Fantastic thing!
 
All parts of the CZ 550/BRNO ZKK safeties are hardened, except for the cocking piece which we leave soft so the gunsmith can set sear gap. After setting the gap the gunsmith must harden it.
The safety body is made of 1144 (Stressproof) steel. The detent and locking pin are made of O1 tool steel. The lever and cocking piece are made of 1018 low carbon steel.

Cheers,
Wayne
Thanks Wayne!

I’ll have a gunsmith do this install on a CZ550
 
I understand that AHR is no longer making this safety? Is there someone in South Africa that is doing this?

HH
 
I understand that AHR is no longer making this safety? Is there someone in South Africa that is doing this?

HH
They are not upgrading CZ550 rifles, because they are phased out.
But they are producing safeties and triggers. Check their web site, and drop a mail to Wayne.
Only last year I bought trigger and safety for ZKK.
It is great!
 
They are not upgrading CZ550 rifles, because they are phased out.
But they are producing safeties and triggers. Check their web site, and drop a mail to Wayne.
Only last year I bought trigger and safety for ZKK.
It is great!
This is correct, I bought both a safety and trigger from them last week and Wayne shipped them directly to my gunsmith.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,305
Messages
1,572,275
Members
169,517
Latest member
JadaBridge
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top