Advice on Barnes

I guess the winking smiley does not show up too well (the sarcasm smiley).

I know how rapidly the TTSX opens. I was being a bit of an arse to those who continue to opine that they don't open quickly/reliably, based mostly, I think, on some past X and TSX issues.

If one watches the video of shooting the 3 inch thick block, you can see the bullet is well expanded at the 1.5 inch mark.

I got it. I was just adding to your point.
 
Beautiful Moose, great pictures you earned it and thanks for your service. The only TSX's I use are the 570g in my 500 Jeffery at 2300 fps. Since they were designed for the 500 NE I emailed Barnes and they told me the minimum velocity for reliable expansion is 1600 fps. I too have distrusted the mono hollow point bullets in terms of expansion, but this particular bullet has expanded well on a cow elk at 200 yards and a feral hog at 8' (complete pass through leaveing a 6" diameter exit wound). Since I bought the rifle for cape buffalo (maybe elephant with solids if I win the lottery) the TSX's reputation is awesome on tougher animals, my concern is that it wouldn't open up on thinner skinned game (brown bears?). No worries with this particular bullet there.

Thanks Colo. and thanks for the info. Happy hunting. I generally prefer the Barnes mono bullets at roughly 2,500+ impacts and otherwise prefer the Noslers, but I have no empirical evidence that this is correct; it's just my hunch. In any event, even if your .500 doesn't expand, it may not matter given its mass and large cross-section. But it probably will expand as you stated.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,431
Messages
1,576,070
Members
170,511
Latest member
CarltonSne
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top