Accuracy of The perfect shot books

I got the pocket edition. I was and will be again hunting plains game. It helps to show you where the vitals are which is different from our deer/elk here. More lower and forward usually.

That said I would like to point out something my PH said the 1st day. Shoot to break a shoulder so if tracking is needed it will be easier. Remember you do not need to worry about wasting a few ounces/pounds of meat since you are not taking it home. Also better to anchor the animal than maybe loose it. The only animal we had to "track" was one of my Blue Wildebeest which ran over a hill and into a gully. It was easier for the tracker even though I could not tell vary well in the other 7000 tracks which one was dragging a front leg. It was running dead and ran head on into a tree(one of only a few) about 70 yards from where it was hit in a group of several others. Always try to break a shoulder with a rifle.

An old thread but I bought the pocket edition before I travelled. I read a bit, I thought the PH my brief me a bit in camp but other than a few shots over the bench we went into the field.
Nothing got away but the Blue Wildebeest took a short run but was stone dead when we got to it just over the rise.

Love those books! My first pocket one is in the glove box of an old Land Cruiser in Limpopo....

personally dont like these books
they make clients think too much about the heart
i prefer a lung shot
always aim for the "off" or far shoulder
this will get any animals down every single time
if you err going for the heart, left trouble, right trouble, low trouble, above the heart you will hit lungs.
if you aim for above the heart and more in the lungs and you err a bit, you are still gonna hit lungs all round or heart or spine
much better!!!
there is a very good book, but its hard to find, called "the practical shot" this is way better.....in my opinion

i prefer a lung shot
if you err going for the heart, left trouble, right trouble, low trouble, above the heart you will hit lungs.
if you aim for above the heart and more in the lungs and you err a bit, you are still gonna hit lungs all round or heart or spine
much better!!!
there is a very good book, but its hard to find, called "the practical shot" this is way better.....in my opinion
I bought the large and pocket versions of The Perfect Shot books and studied the animals I expected to encounter for hours. I had the pocket version out on the plane and in the field. Then when it came time to shoot I did my damdest to do exactly what the guide told me to do and so did my wife. We both had 100% success and only 1 close call.

BTW, both those books now sit on our coffee table and are a topic of discussion when we have guests who happen to notice them.

i prefer a lung shot
much better!!!
Agree with this, straight up the front leg half way up the depth of the body gives the largest margin for error...and works each and everytime...
Quartering or frontal you just need to compensate for the angle and you are good to go...
Many attemted heart shots end up too low and often too far forward....long tracking job and often lost animal...buffalo and eland in particular....

Yes i think thats the one
I will get a photo of the cover and post it

I bought the large and pocket versions of The Perfect Shot books and studied the animals I expected to encounter for hours. I had the pocket version out on the plane and in the field. Then when it came time to shoot I did my damdest to do exactly what the guide told me to do and so did my wife. We both had 100% success and only 1 close call.

BTW, both those books now sit on our coffee table and are a topic of discussion when we have guests who happen to notice them.

Thats great
Congrats

i prefer a lung shot

I agree, I went for a double lung shot on a recent hunt. Dropped dead after 20 yards.

1630102159455.png

I like the buffalo specific pocket version. It has much better shot placement illustrations for buff than the other books. I don’t find the PG illustrations all that helpful or necessary.

"...Many attemted heart shots end up too low and often too far forward....long tracking job and often lost animal...buffalo and eland in particular...."
Absolutely!!!! I've seen it too many times, especially on African game. Hits too far forward and too low. Overthinking the whole concept... too much reading, too many formulas, too many drawings, too many pictures in various sources and stories showing bullet holes through the heart!! Buffalo hunt stories showing holes through the heart with accompanying details of how far the bull went with a hole through the heart and on and on. Forget the heart!!! It's not complicated- shoot for the center of the largest lethal target- the entire heart-lung area. That results in learning were that is. Which results in the greatest margin for error under field conditions which equals the least chance for a screw up.

I was most grateful for the "Perfect Shot" book for explaining the difference in vital organs position compared to the North American game that I am more accustomed to. Antelope lungs/heart a bit further forward, Giraffe very high in the chest and forward, and the big cats ( if i ever get to hunt them) a special case with heart/lungs more to the rear. Crocodiles are also very unusual game that require study. The anatomy drawings were especially helpful when I was invited to hunt Giraffe. The giraffe hunt was an unplanned - for opportunity and I was grateful that my outfitter kept a copy of the Perfect Shot in the lodge so I could study the day before.

I don't see any point in studying these things unless it's dangerous game or something oddly shaped like a giraffe like mentioned above. I just got back from my management hunt for 13 animals and an oryx made it the second furthest to about 80 or so yds before piling up from a lung shot and only an entrance hole. A kudu cow made it a touch further with destroyed lungs and two leaking holes. Everything else made it a few yds or dropped. Sometimes these animals are super tough and travel but usually they go 5-20 yds and drop. I never studied any of these pictures and just aimed up the leg to about 1/3 to 1/2 way up the body. Same as here in the US.

Aiming for a bone or a low organ is a recipe for disaster on any animal.

Aim for the biggest vital thing you know they can't live without.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpstracking

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg