Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 8.44.57 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 115
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 8.44.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 8.44.59 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 109
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 8.45.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 8.45.00 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 111
yes l am a fan of Nathan Foster, his books and techniques although l think he is not a big fan of the mauser 98 for an action to use for longer than normal distance shooting
here is another that l have built for the Fallow on a voere rifle in 6mm dasher

View attachment 425235

but l carried this one for many years as a lighter 243 rifle before the change in style
it was a favourite, very light and easy to shoot

View attachment 425234
How did you get the dasher to feed ? And any problems with piercing primers ?

How did you get the dasher to feed ? And any problems with piercing primers ?
feeding was easy as the round being fed from the mag the extractor grabs the rim of the round and guides the case straight into the chamber, l did have to play with the feed lips and extractor a little as with all my mauser 98's to get it to guide the case straight with the bolt every time but they all should hold the case straight into the chamber anyway
and no pierced primers but l did experience cookie cutting or blanking is the term
basically the firing pin will cut a hole through the primer when fired because the firing pin hole in the bolt is too large for the firing pin,
l was using Remington 7.5 primers that have a thin cup, it was fixed with a change to ici 450 and BR primers that have a thicker cup
this is a problem that apparently only happens with small rifle primers
another fix is to have the firing pin hole bushed in the bolt

l did another 6mm dasher on a mauser single shot action and did find the feeding was not good and have a 22 dasher that is a mauser 98 repeater action but used as single shot that you just drop the round into the action and close the bolt, on this one l could adjust the follower to a depth where it works properly

here is what the primers look like when blanking

HqpfHUC.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here’s one I just got. I just couldn’t say no to an FN Supreme Mauser with a 12x Unertl scope. Original .243 Win barrel rechambered to .244 Remington. It will stay as is for a while, but one day will get a new barrel for a long range 6.5; either .264 WinMag or 6.5x68. This thing puts a huge smile on my face.

Almost forgot- it was a bargain.

F8681540-A39E-404F-B65D-188315E0C3B0.jpeg

Beautif
as l'm new here l thought l should put up something to show what l like in a rifle
this is an old whitworth m98 that l had a new shilen match grade barrel put on in 6.5x284 then l fitted a Richards Microfit stock on to make a long distance prone shooter, the Fallow doe in the photo was shot at 650 yards
its not for everyone but its part of what l am into and how l fill the freezer for the family

View attachment 424946View attachment 424947
Beautiful rifle , . 650 yard ! That is amazing man.,

van patton 35 whelen on a 1912 mauser action. two hundred yard group, it was with a very heavy load and admite i pulled the fourth shot to the right.

DSCN0221 (2).JPG

Beautiful rifles but is there a reason for no checkering?
Agree. Beautiful rifles dont look complete without checkering. To do all of the nice work then stop there, I dont get it.
If the maker doesnt want to risk buggering up their nice work, there are lots of places who will happily do the checkering. Its a small investment which ups the value of the rifle.
Years ago I made up a really nice Mauser sporter in 7x57 on a Brazilian action, Shilen barrel, express sights. It was really nice. I did all the stock work from a semi finished piece of nice walnut, inletting, forend tip, bedding, finishing, did it all.
When it came to checkering I shipped it to Fajen and they did a nice job for not much money. Made all the difference in making the rifle look complete.

Beautiful rifles but is there a reason for no checkering?
Had checkered and uncheckered rifles and never found any difference in the grip as I dont suffer from sweaty hands even in the hottest climates so that was/is reaon one. reason two is that I had a try at checkering and found it was one of those things that I had trouble getting done accurately and there is nothing worse than bad checkering to make a rifle look shabby and reason three is that of time/cost as thetime/cost I was quoted to get checkering done was high enough to cause me to decide that it offered nothing to the rifle except for the visual so I was content to forgoe the need for it and reason four was the few rifles I had seen with damage to the checkering that detracted from the desire to get it done. The greatly reduced hardiness of the checkered wood takes damage that is hardly noticable on the uncheckered wood, with the uncheckered wood being a great deal easier to "fix" than the checkered variety.
A good example of that was the skeletonised butt plate I did for my 7x57. I lent the rifle to a friend for a hunt and he muct have used it as a walking stick as there were gouges in the wood inside the butt plate so I had to set the butt plate a fraction deeper to refinish the wood sufficient to remove the gouges. Imagne if it was checkered, and that had to be redone as well.
I made a swuede leather cover for it and that relieved my concern for it in the hunting situation and gave more grip on the shoulder than any checkering may have done.
7x57StalkingRifle002 (2).jpg
Photo1653 (2).jpg

Agree. Beautiful rifles dont look complete without checkering. To do all of the nice work then stop there, I dont get it.
If the maker doesnt want to risk buggering up their nice work, there are lots of places who will happily do the checkering. Its a small investment which ups the value of the rifle.
Years ago I made up a really nice Mauser sporter in 7x57 on a Brazilian action, Shilen barrel, express sights. It was really nice. I did all the stock work from a semi finished piece of nice walnut, inletting, forend tip, bedding, finishing, did it all.
When it came to checkering I shipped it to Fajen and they did a nice job for not much money. Made all the difference in making the rifle look complete.
A great many more option in the US but limited market here and the costs to get it done were almost the same as the cost of the blank so it was and is a consideration in that respect.

Had checkered and uncheckered rifles and never found any difference in the grip as I dont suffer from sweaty hands even in the hottest climates so that was/is reaon one. reason two is that I had a try at checkering and found it was one of those things that I had trouble getting done accurately and there is nothing worse than bad checkering to make a rifle look shabby and reason three is that of time/cost as thetime/cost I was quoted to get checkering done was high enough to cause me to decide that it offered nothing to the rifle except for the visual so I was content to forgoe the need for it and reason four was the few rifles I had seen with damage to the checkering that detracted from the desire to get it done. The greatly reduced hardiness of the checkered wood takes damage that is hardly noticable on the uncheckered wood, with the uncheckered wood being a great deal easier to "fix" than the checkered variety.
A good example of that was the skeletonised butt plate I did for my 7x57. I lent the rifle to a friend for a hunt and he muct have used it as a walking stick as there were gouges in the wood inside the butt plate so I had to set the butt plate a fraction deeper to refinish the wood sufficient to remove the gouges. Imagne if it was checkered, and that had to be redone as well.
I made a swuede leather cover for it and that relieved my concern for it in the hunting situation and gave more grip on the shoulder than any checkering may have done.

I understand and to each their own, I was just curious. Right after I posted I did think to myself that finding someone to checker a stock probably isn't easy or cheap in your neck of the woods. I've also heard other people who have gone through the process to make their own stock say that they sent it out to another party for checkering. It's one of those things that you HAVE TO get right. I'm in the process of finding a blank try my hand at a stock for a commercial mauser actioned rifle right now so I'm trying to soak it all in.

There actually seem to be quite a few uncheckered rifles in this thread.

I like quality checkering as well and it's one detail I need to ensure that a rifle suits me but to each their own.

Funny enough I have a Chilean Mauser sporter with a Fajen stock with no checkering. I think I'm correct in saying that Fajen doesn't exist anymore so I can't even send it back to them to checker. It's too nice for me to screw up.

I recently had an old BSA sporter with worn checkering recut by this place in MN and I was well pleased with their work.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-05 at 4.38.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-05 at 4.38.25 PM.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 70

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois