A new .375h&h

I have a SAKO 85 Classic in 375 and IMO is 1-2 pounds too light for the recoil. Now they are selling for a super premium. I am not sure of your Budget, but Blaser might be a good choice for you. The problem with the cheaper CZ is you are going to have to have some work performed to bring up to performance level (known feed problem). Now, if you can find one with work already performed even better.

Also as stated, you can always rent. Just make sure before you rent, that you are renting a Mercedes and not a Yugo (sorry) that has seen its better days years ago for a gun.

So yea i currently own and use a zastava in 8x57 I am however selling that amd getting something new either 9.3 or the 375. And the 375 is drawing me simply beacause of how effective it is on everything that walks the earth. The 9.3 was my main idea but then saw the bergara and the 375 crept back in. I was an idiot and missed out on a brno in 375 so yeah. Now looking at that bergara and after seeing how it handles maybe a new stock for it since i have a few options for about 200 or 300 euros for a custom one so its pretty good I’d say and have a kahles that I would pop on it

So yea i currently own and use a zastava in 8x57 I am however selling that amd getting something new either 9.3 or the 375. And the 375 is drawing me simply beacause of how effective it is on everything that walks the earth. The 9.3 was my main idea but then saw the bergara and the 375 crept back in. I was an idiot and missed out on a brno in 375 so yeah. Now looking at that bergara and after seeing how it handles maybe a new stock for it since i have a few options for about 200 or 300 euros for a custom one so its pretty good I’d say and have a kahles that I would pop on it

What don't you like about the way it handles? You could add weight to the stock to help some at 8.2# it really depends on what your recoil tolerance is. Depending on scope you will pushing close to 10# by the time you dress it out.

It is a push feed and while not popular it is not an automatic fail. Would rather you spend time behind the rifle learns to shoot well then save up an undefined amount of time to get something "better". Have seen many people buy the best and not be able to afford to do the rest.

You can not play without an instrument so if your goal is to become a proficient 375 shooter I think you should get hold of any reasonably good rifle that advances you toward your goal and shoot the heck out of it until you have surpassed the capabilities of that instrument and require another to go farther.

In your area can you source enough ammunition to become proficient or can you load your own?

Good luck!

Actually, yes we jumped to discussion of 375.

Lets assume two things.
Lets assume that OP is experienced local hunter, that already has good rifle inventory, with main to go 30 cal. (Americans call this "deer rifle")

Lets assume next that he will not immediately go for buffalo hunt, but he will settle to plains game safari, as his first safari

So, in that case, he can as well take his good old trusty all round rifle, 30 cal. Make good choice of ammo, and go to first safari.

Or optionally to rent.

That being said, my experience was:
My first safari on PG was with camp rifle, and in 375 HH. (I fell in love with the caliber)

By the time, I completed my 2nd safari (with rental mauser in 300 HH), I had it all figured out.
I had buffalo, eland and whatnot on my mind, and was fairly certain I will keep going on safaris till as long as I can afford, and then I went for 375 HH as my dedicated buffalo gun and African allrounder.

Now, rental rifle or not that is the question?
It just happened to be that in my first two safaris when I hunted with rental rifle, I was not familair with rented rifle.
First one had too light trigger, and second one had too rough double stage trigger.
So, in both cases, although I tested rifles on the range before hunt, my first african animal was wounded.
First hunt, I wounded oryx, later found. This was first shot and first animal in Africa for me.
Second hunt, first animal on safari, first day, I pulled to hard, and hit low, (180 meters) and wounded in leg. Tracker found and we collected later. impala
So, I never lost an animal, but first shots with unfamiliar rifles were not perfect.
2nd day, on any safari was always better.
Last day of safari me and rifle, rented or owned are one being.

So bringing his own 30 cal rifle on safari, will make him fully effective on day one. No surprises.

Rented rifle brings also a possible flaw of being issued with cheap low quality ammo.

So, if OP has his good old gun for boar and deer, he can take it on first safari.
later to plan for something specialized. 375 hh recommended, provided that he "promises" to hunt bufallo, one day in the future.
Hello mark-hunter,

I totally agree with you that renting a rifle can risk your happiness, due to the issues you have described.

However, there are simple things that can be done to help avoid being stuck with a bad rifle and / or bad ammunition.

I suggest that whether intending to rent a rifle or bring one from home, every person who is planning an expensive foreign hunting trip, should begin by booking only with a well vetted (excellent reputation) safari company.

And if planning to rent a rifle, discussing the rifle, the ammunition and the sighting arrangement (scope brand, etc.) before sending the deposit, could help to avoid possible disappointments.

Also, I notice that danchy007 already owns a Zastava (Model ‘98 Mauser ?), caliber 8x57S but, he intends to sell it soon.
That caliber when loaded with a heavy 8MM soft point projectile of 196 grains, seems like it would be wonderful for the majority of African species, as it compares favorably with the .30-06 and 220 grain bullet.

I have used the .30-06 with 220 grain bullet in Africa and Alaska as well.
It is beautiful for most of the species found in both of those places.
And so, the 8MM should also work extremely well, for hunting the same species as have fallen to the .30-06 caliber.

Be that as it may, I continue suggesting that anyone planning their first hunting trip to Africa should rent a rifle until spending time with a PH and learning what equipment, including rifles, is going to give the most satisfaction.
Even though my first time to Africa is 20 years behind me now, I nonetheless always just rent a rifle anyway.

Kind Regards,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
The topic is primarily about whether one can buy a rifle caliber 375 H&H Magnum from the company Bergara. Whether it makes sense to buy a rifle of this caliber right away without having hunted in Africa before is another topic.

One should but also consider that a weapon of this caliber is not only used in Africa. The cartridge 375 H&H Magnum is also ideal for hunting game species other than African ones, and in west Europe this cartridge is also sometimes used, like the cartridges 9,3x62, 9,3x74R or 9,3x64, for hunting wild boar or red deer. Therefore, even if someone does not hunt further in Africa, a weapon of this caliber can find other uses. I have often hunted with the cartridge 9,3x64 outside of Africa, and could have done the same with the cartridge 375 H&H Magnum.

That you should do your first hunt in Africa with a rental rifle is a personal opinion. There are certainly arguments for it, especially nowadays when everything is getting more difficult when traveling. One should also not at once start a hunt in Africa with a big bore rifle, but a rifle caliber 375 H&H Magnum is not a big bore.

Learning something with his PH by hunting nowadays in southern Africa, where some routine has become established, is another question. The PH as well as the outfitter are interested in a good course of the hunt and to stay on the safe side. Accordingly more often the recommendations in terms of weapons and caliber. I am not so sure if that's a good way to make up your own mind about rifles and cartridges.

The topic is primarily about whether one can buy a rifle caliber 375 H&H Magnum from the company Bergara.
Lets rephrase the question then.

Has somebody hunted with Bergara in 375 H&H multiple times in Africa, and northern hemisphere, and how did the rifle perform?
What are the impressions and observations?

Professional hunters on the forum, did you have clients with this type of rifle, and what is your opinion?

(if no answers received, maybe we are entering a new scientific frontier? :E Shrug:)

Blaser R8 or Chapuis Rols? Both seem readily available in the UK and EU

Lets rephrase the question then.

Has somebody hunted with Bergara in 375 H&H multiple times in Africa, and northern hemisphere, and how did the rifle perform?
What are the impressions and observations?

Professional hunters on the forum, did you have clients with this type of rifle, and what is your opinion?

(if no answers received, maybe we are entering a new scientific frontier? :E Shrug:)

Most people on this forum are going to be in the CRF camp. Some will say a few others like a R8. It is just the reality of people have access to those rifles. With the limited amount of manufacturers producing 375h&h class rifles. New hunters will be limited to choices. It is going to be something like the Bergara you are looking at or a CRF that is going to be more custom. Either way the old CRF rifles will go up in value. I think we have seen the CRF factory rifle go up in value by a large percentage.

It is interesting that worlds most versatile caliber comes to the point that rare few make rifle for it.

It is interesting that worlds most versatile caliber comes to the point that rare few make rifle for it.

The market for rifles caliber 375 H&H Magnum is not that huge either and I would not call this cartridge the more universal cartridge either.

This cartridges is mainly used in Africa, is also used outside of this continent, but in these areas the cartridge is in competition with many other cartridges that also do the job, and that cheaper and with less recoil.

Moreover, a lot of people, maybe even the majority of the hunters in Africa, hunt PG for which one don't need a rifle caliber 375 H&H Magnum.

At last, other cartridges are also used for the same purpose as the cartridge 375 H&H Magnum, 9,3x62 and 9,3x74R for example, cartridges that have a much better market worldwide, in Europe in all cases, and don't forget the cartridges of the same caliber and of newer production, such as the 375 Ruger for example too.

The market for rifles caliber 375 H&H Magnum is not that huge either and I would not call this cartridge the more universal cartridge either.
It depends on definition of universal.
For somebody not hunting in Africa, universal can be 30-06.

But for international global hunter, then universal is 375 H&H.

Now there is a paradox.

Most universal African, global and international caliber is 375H&H, with very good international availability of ammunition.

On the other hand, less and less factories produce rifles in this caliber.
So there is a gap.

To fill the gap, new age of short magnums came, like 375 Ruger, and similar.
But the global availability of short DG magnum ammunition (375 and above) is still short.

In my country (in EU), it is basically impossible to find such ammo. So I have to stick with 375HH. that ammo is available

Overall looking, African international hunters market is small.
And international DG hunting market is even smaller.

I estimate that it is going to be more and more difficult to get an adequate rifle for this.
However there are traces of hope for 375HH, i see at least that new Sako 90 started with 375 HH, as one of the calibers. Bergara makes 375 HH. Zastava makes 375 HH. etc

Due to the large number of rifles caliber 375 H&H Magnum in use worldwide, we do not have to worry about ammo.

But that is mostly due to the times, times that I can still remember well, when apart weapons caliber 375 H&H Magnum or 458 Win Mag there was hardly anything else available for hunting DG in Africa. A lot has changed in the last 30 years and nowadays almost everything you need to hunt DG is available again. I think that some people who had no other choice but a rifle caliber 375 H&H Magnum for hunting DG in Africa, are now going for something else. Something like that is certainly noticeable in the current market of weapons caliber 375 H&H Magnum.

Last edited:
A lot has changed in the last 30 years and nowadays almost everything you need to hunt DG is available again.
Available in the USA.
Everywhere else, much less.

There is also another trend. DG hunt is increasing in popularity (but only within small DG hunting community), this creates demand, this in turn creates market supply. Lets hope this will keep in that direction.

Note: in local shops near my place (about 20 shops), I never saw any rifle in any caliber bigger then 375 H&H. I estimate that American clients make the largest portion of DG community, followed by professional hunters. So, American market will have the best supply.

Let me ask one question that bothers me for some time.
375 H&H is one of mostly discussed calibers.

So, what actual effects of 375 HH can be expected on buffalo, provided ammunition is of premium type?
Hit in vitals, broad side. Heart lung shot
What is next that can be expected?

- Buffallo runs away, search on spoor expected
- Buffalo moves few meters, and drops
- Buffalo drops on spot

What is most likely scenario? Of course the question is related just in case of good broad side shot to vitals, as per book.

The question is for those that hunted buffalo with 375, and had school book hit on buffalo

(I know there is no rules how the animals will react on the shot but just to share your experience and me to get the idea. This is also because many say that 416 Rigby caliber class is visibly more effective on buffalo, and I would like to understand the differences and eventual shortcomings of 375 in hunting scenario)

It will die.... sometimes on the spot as if pole axed but most often will take off with a typical heart shot reaction and you may or may not hear the death bellow before you get to him...

Using a Barnes Vortx 300 grain TSX round ouy of my Winchester M70 Alaskan at a distance of about 75 meters, I got a complete pass through of a cape buff. Heart and lung shot, dropped in her tracks. Never even took a step. Dample size of one though, so take it with a grain of salt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelaHo

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob