A few questions regarding Andrew Baldrey (Royal Kafue Safaris)

Except I always made it a point that the articles were in fact reposts. That, and they were originally published publically however received little to no interaction. The entire purpose of me reposting those articles was for the enjoyment of the users on the forum.

Have you heard of the term copyright? When something is posted on public media like Facebook, IG etc. it is legal to repost on the SAME platform as per TOC.

However, it is a blatant violation of the copyright if one posts published works on another platform even with credit. Original publishing entity is getting no benefits (e.g. clicks etc.) either. Ask @Sue Tidwell how she would feel if you posted the contents of her book "Cries of the Savannah" on this forum, after all not everyone has a Kindle book subscription to read it. She most likely would not like your argument that it was for the enjoyment of the users of this forum.

I also recognized it! Andrew posted it on instagram either yesterday or the day before.

Go look if you can @KafueRoyal
Well, I would have said I recognized the picture rather than saying "I recognized the sable", that would have made it clearer.

I also recognized it! Andrew posted it on instagram either yesterday or the day before.

Go look if you can @KafueRoyal
Now I understand. Thanks for the link. Wonderful animal. That particular photo obviously exaggerates him a bit. This is a better one. He was 45 1/2 and 45 1/4 with 10 3/4 bases. I am not much of a tape measure type, but a spectacular animal. As I noted, we took him on @spike.t Mike Taylor's spectacular Takeri. We passed on animals that would have made my old friend and PH in Mozambique sit down and weep.

IMG_4141.JPG

There is an article in "African Hunting Gazette" about the hunt should anyone be interested.

Well, I would have said I recognized the picture rather than saying "I recognized the sable", that would have made it clearer.
This site really just seems to consist of a thousand grumpy old men with too much free time.

Thanks for your input on semantics @Tanks. However, I have thrown out your opinion because of how I see you carry yourself on this site.... A pompus old man

Youre the guy that called all the SA sponsors the wall mart version of Africa correct?

Yep,
checks out

This site really just seems to consist of a thousand grumpy old men with too much free time.

Thanks for your input on semantics @Tanks. However, I have thrown out your opinion because of how I see you carry yourself on this site.... A pompus old man
Well, it is not really semantics, but just a bit of extra information that would have made the post clearer. This old pompous ;) man has made a living providing clear information to clients.

Well, it is not really semantics, but just a bit of extra information that would have made the post clearer. This old pompous ;)man has made a living providing clear information to clients.
Look at you! You just cant help it.
Talking about yourself again

Thank you for the laugh.

As an avowed Patrick McManus fanboy, I prefer the terms "curmudgeon" and "curmudgeonly" myself. And while I've never been called pompous my daughters call me grumpy, so there is that. But I digress... Brickburn says back to the topic. For myself, I plan to look up Mr. Baldrey's artwork today; I'm not familiar with it, but a lot of folks have commented on his talent.

I’ve been to Africa several times, and one of those trips was to Andrew Baldry’s Royal Kafue. He is a great PH, honest, hard working, trustworthy, and a pleasure to spend time with. I’ve hunted other countries before and since then, but would not hesitate to hunt any area of Africa with Andrew as my PH. The trip to Royal Kafue was my wife’s 1st time to Africa, and she is hesitant to go back again with anyone else because Andrew set the bar the bar so high with the professionalism and personality he conveys.

5A0DD11B-A7FC-4722-9812-24F39276B43C.jpeg
538DB1BD-5ECD-4299-BB8A-913B870BD028.jpeg
773026A9-0E6B-41E7-9FF3-F71694F1E4EF.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Youre the guy that called all the SA sponsors the wall mart version of Africa correct?

Yep,
checks out
In fairness to @Tanks, he is correct. I had no idea what @PhotoCollector73 meant by his comment. I appreciate you clarifying it. I had one person comment with respect to this animal that he was a typically protein enhanced "trophy." Nothing could be farther from the truth. But with that experience point, I trust you understand "I recognize that sable" didn't read like "I have seen that photo."

He is also correct with respect to copyright. Copying another person's work, even when credited, is very tricky ground. We had a member some years ago who had a habit of publishing "articles" here that were not his own. I was suspicious because his posted syntax was rather different than the articles. He eventually made the mistake of posting a members friend's work.

I don't believe @PhotoCollector73 had any intent to defraud another writer or photographer, but it is very slippery slope, and one should exercise care.

This is a pretty good summary of the pitfalls. https://www.syndigate.info/can-i-copy-and-paste-content-onto-my-website-or-blog/#:~:text=The short answer to the question of whether,claims – both costly outcomes worth avoiding. (Shutterstock)

Comments in a forum are like texts. A lot can go missing or be misunderstood. No harm no foul, and again, I appreciate your clarification.

Last edited:
I've known Andrew from about 2011 via the internet and then in person in 2012. I've found him to be honest and hard working. I have kept in touch with him since though at times a bit more sporadic than others. I am passively familiar with some of the information concerning Royal Kafue and suspect that given time any accusations against Mr. Baldry will evaporate. As to the future of Royal and the Kinadu Trust I would say three words are appropriate. TIA - "This is Africa".

Last edited by a moderator:
In fairness to @Tanks, he is correct. I had no idea what @PhotoCollector73 meant by his comment. I appreciate you clarifying it. I had one person comment with respect to this animal that he was a typically protein enhanced "trophy." Nothing could be farther from the truth. But with that experience point, I trust you understand "I recognize that sable" didn't read like "I have seen that photo."

He is also correct with respect to copyright. Copying another person's work, even when credited, is very tricky ground. We had a member some years ago who had a habit of publishing "articles" here that were not his own. I was suspicious because his posted syntax was rather different than the articles. He eventually made the mistake of posting a members friend's work.

I don't believe @PhotoCollector73 had any intent to defraud another writer or photographer, but it is very slippery slope, and one should exercise care.

This is a pretty good summary of the pitfalls. https://www.syndigate.info/can-i-copy-and-paste-content-onto-my-website-or-blog/#:~:text=The short answer to the question of whether,claims – both costly outcomes worth avoiding. (Shutterstock)

Comments in a forum are like texts. A lot can go missing or be misunderstood. No harm no foul, and again, I appreciate your clarification.

Especially to the last point, taking a moment to elaborate on your context or intent can be very helpful. For example, a simple sentence stating “Given that…” or “The reason I am asking is…” can help replace what is missing from a face to face conversation. (and the 24 hour rule mentioned earlier can really help).

When I travel to RSA for example, I hear both an accent much different than my own, and word choice or vernacular that is foreign to me (torch, coolbox, bakkie, wors, rusk; bullets are called “tips”). It’s part of what both enriches the experience and requires more careful listening. I spend a good portion of my day on calls with people from at least four different continents, along with IMs, chats, emails etc. There is an analog in written communication, particularly brief communication, that mimics those accent and vernacular differences, that can easily lead conversations awry, unnecessarily.

A long winded way to say I agree….

I learned so much from this thread. A few things:

1. I had no idea who Andrew Baldry was. Until @PhotoCollector73 brought him up, I had not heard of Mr. Baldry. Thank you, @PhotoCollector73. It sounds like Mr. Baldry is quite the PH and conservationist.
2. Arguing with some people, like @375Fox, is like playing chess with a pigeon. I knew better, but couldn't help myself. I appleuhgize.
3. I thought hunters were immune from simping. I was totally wrong and I appleuhgize. Mention "Britney" and some people lose their minds.
4. Copyright law is horribly misunderstood by many people.
5. After looking at Mr. Baldry's art, I'd say he has some real talent. Then again, I have zero artistic (autistic, yes) ability.

I feel like we've grown in our relationships and I feel so much closer to all of you.

We had a member some years ago who had a habit of publishing "articles" here that were not his own
That guy had most informative posts and interesting articles, about most famous people in history of African hunting. (I believe we speak of same person).
I was reading those with great interest, and I had no idea he copied them from elsewhere.
The articles remained on forum but he is gone. Even to find all those articles around on internet would not be easy. So this was quite an effort from his side. So for me its shame he ended by going away from forum. Maybe, it would be much better idea that he actually named a source from where he took each article... In any case on this forum he is history, by now.

@Red Leg , after reading your comment I have to agree in regards to the potential dangers of copyright infringement by posting other people's articles. I was fairly naive to think that clarifying on who the original author was would exempt me from criticism, so I apologise.

I still hope to be (re)posting articles in the near future, but not without the permission of the author. Books are somewhat safer in this regard, but they're much harder to write about on average as the way information is presented on paper doesn't exactly fit the format of the forum, most of the time.

All the articles I took from the book 'Great African Trophies' by Dianna Rupp were only a very small fraction of the sheer amount of information in that book. But they were the only stories I could actually post on AfricaHunting that would fit the format of the forum. Most of the book is filled with brief pieces of information placed underneath or next to beautiful photographs, as it is a coffee table book after all.

Especially to the last point, taking a moment to elaborate on your context or intent can be very helpful. For example, a simple sentence stating “Given that…” or “The reason I am asking is…” can help replace what is missing from a face to face conversation. (and the 24 hour rule mentioned earlier can really help).

When I travel to RSA for example, I hear both an accent much different than my own, and word choice or vernacular that is foreign to me (torch, coolbox, bakkie, wors, rusk; bullets are called “tips”). It’s part of what both enriches the experience and requires more careful listening. I spend a good portion of my day on calls with people from at least four different continents, along with IMs, chats, emails etc. There is an analog in written communication, particularly brief communication, that mimics those accent and vernacular differences, that can easily lead conversations awry, unnecessarily.

A long winded way to say I agree….
Yes, I think a lot of the disagreements on this site could be attributed to a "language barrier" of sorts, despite the fact that everyone here seems to be fluent in English. I think South Africans, the Dutch, and Germans are all fairly similar in that we can come across as very blunt in a conversation, even when we mean well. I was too blunt at the beginning of the thread, it seems.

I also wish to apologize for taking offense at the original post. My initial reading caused me to believe that it was calling out Mr Baldry with possible unfounded accusations that didn’t need to be aired in this public forum, especially when he is readily available on the Africa forums. Enough said about that.

Ok, ok, ok…………….. it was the “retard” comment that chapped my ass. ;)

I also wish to apologize for taking offense at the original post. My initial reading caused me to believe that it was calling out Mr Baldry with possible unfounded accusations that didn’t need to be aired in this public forum, especially when he is readily available on the Africa forums. Enough said about that.

Ok, ok, ok…………….. it was the “retard” comment that chapped my ass. ;)
Apology accepted, and I apologise for the 'retard' comment as well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThaliaPace

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross