A Different Kind of Hunt

What useful education do you have, degrees, certifications, professional licensing…

Thats a prerequisite for most jobs.

What is your work history?

In the nicest way, you must have a specific skill, trade, license, or similar…to do much.

If you have no useful degree, no hard skills, no professional license…your best bet is to fix that first. A CDL to drive a truck can be a decent living, but not a fun life. Trade unions are a path to a solid income, but it’s manual work.

Sorry to hear about your folks, very difficult thing to deal with!
I’m sorry to say you are about to be quite disappointed as you look for a unicorn job, my ex wife’s History degree was a little less useful than a roll of Charmin, though it was the stepping stone to her MBA. As a young man I dreamed of being a piano player in a Nevada Brothel but i found out that that dream would not be realized until I at least learned to play the piano, I had spent all the money mom had given me for piano lessons on cheap whisky and cheaper beer. Alas I ended up in the oil and gas industry. Go get you a job doing something to get your mind off of everything, you will be surprised at how a day of hard work will be good for the soul and make the beer taste better at the end of the day.

@WebleyGreene455 I know it took some guts to create this post so that’s a good first step in the right direction. Sorry to hear about your parents. My wife is going through the start of those issues with her parents and I’m sure my parents will be entering those days in the not too distant future. I feel for you.

I think you’ve got a lot of potential. You’re a college graduate, you’ve got a brain and you can write well. That’s more than a lot of people your age can say. One just has to look at all the people trying to get into this country, legally and illegally, due to the opportunities here, to see that you have lots of ways to be successful. You’ve just gotten a bit bogged down but you can change that!

I can see several roads to success for you. An MBA would be a natural next step for you. It’s a pity but most liberal arts graduates get through college without being required to take even a single business class. This fact makes it difficult to market yourself in the business world. On the contrary, a business major undergraduate is required to take a lot of elective classes like history, art, sociology, psychology, etc…. Why aren’t liberal arts majors required to crossover and take some accounting or business classes? It would make liberal arts students much more well-rounded! I wrote a paper about this subject in college and received an A grade on it in my English Composition class. Lol.

Anyway, one saving grace for you could be an MBA. An MBA would make you much more marketable in the job market. State governments love MBA grads. Same for the federal government. For example, my son-in-law was just hired by Colorado after getting his MBA. He is 39 years old so maybe even older than you? Immediately after high school, he signed up for the US Army infantry just after the 9/11 attacks. He served six years with a tour in Iraq and another one or two in Afghanistan. He was shot/wounded in Afghanistan. Luckily it was a “through and through” in his thigh. He left the Army with an Honorable Discharge and went to Columbia University for his undergraduate degree on the GI Bill, where he met my daughter, who was there for her masters degree in Political Science after an internship with the State Department in Italy and another with the Colorado Governor’s Office. After they both got done at Columbia, they got married and he worked in the private sector and her for the federal government and then later moved to Colorado, where he got his MBA at the University of Colorado. He was also offered jobs with defense contractors. I think an MBA would be great for you and might help you get a job with a defense contractor or the government.

Another avenue for you if you are tired of school and being poor, would be the oil field. My son is a Petroleum Engineer for the largest oil company in the world. One of many things he does is coordinate with several oil field service companies that conduct the projects he designs. He tells me that the oil field service companies cannot find enough workers. If you can pass a drug test, these companies would be thrilled to get your application. With your degree, writing skills and age, you could get a high paying, entry level job. If you stick around and work hard, with your education, you would be moved up quickly and into the office. I know this wouldn’t be your “passion job” and may not stimulate you intellectually at first but it would afford you the ability to explore your passion on your vacation time and other spare time. Make your passion your hobby, not your job! Go for it and good luck! If you want some connections in the oil field, let me know.

The Sheet Metal Workers in Anchorage are advertising for repair-tech apprentices right now, If you are a resident, can read and write and pass a drug test they'll start you at $21/hr +benefits. While they teach you a trade that will pay 3 times that as a journeyman.
I'm sure it's the same somewhere near you.

Dang tough deal @WebleyGreene455! Be patient. Keep your interests and passions. Heading down a path without passion will certainly lead to that dead end feeling and bitterness as you get older. I would much rather be happy and looking forward to my days following my passion than chasing an income marker looking forward only to the next “bucket list”, one and done check-off activity or a co-worker’s next party!

I went through similar turmoil and helpless feelings one time- 53 years ago! I forced myself to be patient but did not hesitate to take a sharp turn toward my passion when the time was right. I was within 3 semester hours of completing a degree I knew could not be leading me to a career with passion. A field of study I thoroughly enjoyed but not one leading to a career. I did not want to be become a professional student, like so many of the 70 year old parasites you see hanging around universities. To top it off I was drafted, lost a parent and the love of my life all at the same time. Fast forward a few years, took that 90’ turn, got a degree in which I had passion which led to a career in which I had passion. I led a conservative life, retired and have been able not only to enjoy but most of all appreciate a few things I have a passion for along the way. A journey just like a “box of chocolates”. Currently I have two step kids. One starting college in the fall and one still in high school. Yep just like a box of chocolates!

Good luck to you! Take some time to weed out your passion and pathway.

A sad situation with your parents that most of us have been through, or will be going through.
All excellent info above.
Get your body and mind healthy and ready for any and all opportunities. Do something even if it turns out wrong for you. Then check it off your list and don’t look back. Go for the next opportunity. You can do this!

My dad use to make jokes about me because from college he went to work for 1 company for 36 years. His joke was that when I graduated I worked for 36 different companies! Very true, but I did mostly contract work going in to a new company. Designing tooling or products. Then taking time off and playing (hunting, fishing, traveling) until the next contract showed up. It was exciting starting a new job each time in a whole new environment I had to learn. It got easier and easier to learn new procedures, methods, technologies, etc.

Go for it! I’m a bit envious of the challenges and opportunities you have in this day and age!

Last edited:
“Go for it! I’m a bit envious of the challenges and opportunities you have in this day and age!”

Ain’t it the truth? I would love to start over and do it all over again, knowing what I know now.

“Go for it! I’m a bit envious of the challenges and opportunities you have in this day and age!”
I have to agree wholeheartedly! Sadly very few 31 year olds will see it that way....

I would love to start over and do it all over again, knowing what I know now.
Wow isn't that the truth! Preventing a few mistakes, taking advantage of opportunities missed... Many of us could be Billionaires ;)

One I've found is as a tour guide in a Antebellum house/museum here in town; that's not exactly my number one coveted job but I could do it.
Good God man take the job! Its at least a start... then head down to Wal Mart and get a night job stocking shelves. Generate some income any legal way you can at this point. I hear they are hiring at McDonald's. Generate some paychecks so you can get a place to live. And put food on the table.

Have you ever had a steady job? Or a paying job at all? I doubt there was a time in US History where more opportunities existed and at the same time there are more able bodied people not working.... Those with a good work ethic and high intelligence as well as ambition are doing quite well and if not, they cannot blame the lack of opportunities. You're a History major. I challenge you to prove me wrong;)

Why did I think your family had a business you were being groomed for? Rentals or property management?

Absolutely spot on video above. Get a job, any job, you will learn as you go, what you want to do. The days of staying in the same career for 40 years is basically over…and boring. Ask most anyone about there job and they will say it is boring, stressful, unfulfilling, whatever and they wish they were doing something different. Try everything and expand your skill set.

And the anxiety and depression, go see a doctor, they can help with this.
@Aaron.F
My wife just got an award for 40 years service in a job she loves. Yes it can be stressful at times bit it is never boring to her. The benefits are well worth it. She has been in a govt job now for that 40 years and will get 45 years up before she retires. She is the exception to the norm and younger people will never achieve this in the changing world
Bob

Sorry to hear about your folks, very difficult thing to deal with!
I’m sorry to say you are about to be quite disappointed as you look for a unicorn job, my ex wife’s History degree was a little less useful than a roll of Charmin, though it was the stepping stone to her MBA. As a young man I dreamed of being a piano player in a Nevada Brothel but i found out that that dream would not be realized until I at least learned to play the piano, I had spent all the money mom had given me for piano lessons on cheap whisky and cheaper beer. Alas I ended up in the oil and gas industry. Go get you a job doing something to get your mind off of everything, you will be surprised at how a day of hard work will be good for the soul and make the beer taste better at the end of the day.
@Bullthrower338
Cody
I am disappointed in you young man. With a bit of forethought you could have had your dream job of playing that piano in a brothel and still had all that fun with your piano lesson money.
HELL man ain't you never heard of a player pi-anee. You put a roll in it and pump the pedals. Then you could save up for one of those computerised pianos, set it on automatic and have fun doing other activities.
By now you could have retired a multi millionaire by putting pianos in every brothel.
Think smarter mate.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

Mike Rowe - a national treasure. Profound wisdom.

Military analysts have jobs in essentially two places - the Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) and the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA). I do not count NSA or State because their requirements or either extremely technical or the product of a high end specialized education. CIA does recruit directly from some of the nation's best universities. Many of those recruits do go on to be analysts in the various technical and regional analytical departments. Those on the technical side will have BS and MS degrees from places like Caltech, University of Chicago, and MIT. POLMIL analysts may indeed have BA and MA degrees, but again, as college graduate entry candidates, they would represent some of the finest schools in the country.

You should also remember that you also would be competing against a fairly large cadre of retiring Majors, Lieutenant Colonels and Commanders every year who leave the service after 20 years. They often have vast technical or regional expertise. For instance, an army Foreign Area Office will have a 4/4 in a foreign language on his or her resume along with significant on the ground regional experience and a career's worth of real world tactical expertise. Moreover, those officers will likely have served multiple tours with DIA while on active duty, making the transition painless for both parties.

Regrettably, a BA degree and subject enthusiasm won't excite many recruiters.

So you have an important choice to make. Two examples.

An old schoolmate of mine has a political science degree from Memphis State. He then spent five or six years getting a MFA from University of New Mexico. He has made ends meet for nearly five decades taking wedding and baby pictures and working at Home Depot. He is old and bitter because lesser, dumber people somehow have done so much better than him.

My son dallied in college in political science until I became tired of it, and he then worked a number things from TSA to store security to construction. Finally, on his own, he went to a technical college about eight years ago. He finished a three-year med-tech program in two years and is now a highly respected med-tech field engineer for a major hospital group here in Texas. I would guess his annual salary is three-times my embittered school chum, and significantly better than an entry level billet in one of the agencies.

Your goal right now needs to be to find work. It should be work with a purpose. Purpose has nothing to do with passions. Purpose has to do with where you intend to be financially twenty years from now. That purpose should include a runway of increasing opportunity, responsibility, and compensation. In turn, that focus on purpose can give you the means to indulge a passion.

Im going to parrot @Red Leg a bit...

My firm employs and has employed quite a few "military" analysts in contractor positions across a number of different US Govt customers (DIA, USAF, and DOS INL primarily)... What @Red Leg is advising is spot on correct..

Without exception, to my knowledge, every single person we've had working in one of these positions over the years either is a former/retired US Military field grade officer, senior NCO (E8 or E9) with either an FSO, Intel, or SOF background, and/or has an advanced education (I am almost certain all have held masters degrees.. and quite a few have been PhDs)..

All have fairly extensive OCONUS experience and all are foreign language speakers..

If you're looking into that sort of work with the fed govt.. whether as a blue badge type or a green badge type (direct employee or as a contractor).. that's what the competition looks like..

Many years ago a ran a specialized security unit at The World Bank.. we had an intel unit there that my team worked very closely with that was responsible for conducting open source intel collection and analysis.. While military experience wasn't quite as prominent there, without exception every single member of that team (about 20 of them back in those days?) had an advanced education, and some sort of prior analyst experience with a government agency (mostly US.. but some foreign).. and all of their educations came from top tier schools..

Im not saying its a career that would be impossible to break into without the right credentials.. but.. it would certainly be extremely difficult... and would likely take a LONG period of time.. even if you knew someone in the field that could give you a leg up on getting into the industry..

High demand field now available with well above average income scale….CDL drivers needed throughout the US. Most large corporations require 1 year experience. Many Junior colleges offer classes and on hands instruction to secure that CDL and many employers reimburse the tuition. A History background is limiting in job openings. So look into alternative opportunities. Junior colleges offer opportunities in many trades including the medical fields. Always demand for specialties to the right person. Good luck
Tangent to this, some companies operate both class A (semis) and class B vehicles. Getting a class B CDL is fairly easy. I’d you perform well, they may train you so you can obtain a class A.

FB_IMG_1656249487419.jpg

@WebleyGreene455

First of all I'm sorry to hear about whats happened to your parents. Dealing with one parent passing away and the other being severely ill is HELL. On top of that, you also need to find your "way in life" at the same time. You really are in an unenviable position and one I would not wish on anyone.

With all of that being said, I am not really sure you yourself really know what you want to do. You mention you have an interest in military history, weaponary, militaria etc... but is your interest in this field more "hands on" or is it more academic ? There is nothing wrong with following your passion when it comes to work, heck doing something you actually like/enjoy is a good thing, but you have to figure out a way to make $$ from your passion.

In your case if you have a passion for the "hands on" aspect of firearms/weaponry/militaria then you may want to look into gunsmithing or joining the military. As a gun-smith, especially in the US, you can make good living from it. However to make the big $$ as a gunsmith you probably have to be pretty good at it. Now if at 31 you start training to be a gunsmith you've probably started later than most. While its better to do something late than never expect that for at least a few years your salary is going to be pretty low.

Another option as others have said is to join the military. You could look into going into OCS. The advantage there is if you get accepted and complete OCS and get commissioned, then you have a pretty good starting salary and benefits as a second lieutenant. However your age could be an issue here. I think to attend Army or Marine OCS, the maximum cut off for age is your early 30s. So likely this route is to late for you to take. The advantage here would have been that the Army and Marines are more accepting of candidates with a BA, indeed i think many Army and Marine officers do have BAs. Your other options are the Navy, Airforce or Coastguard. I believe for these branches of the military the cut off age for OCS is higher- like your mid to late 30s. However the issue here is that I believe the Navy and Airforce have a preference for people with B.S. or M.Sc. degrees rather than BAs or MAs. From what I have heard, when it comes to potential officers, they look for people with STEM degrees. But I'm sure there are Naval or Airforce officers that have BAs. If this is the route you want to take you should probably get on this sooner rather than later, as time is really not your friend here at the moment.

If your interest in the military or weapons is more academic i.e military history, then only having a B.A. in this field at 31 was not really the best way to go about it. If you wanted to work in this, then at this point you should have ideally already had your Ph.D. completed or be in the process of doing it. And at the very least you should already have an MA. Preferably from a top 15 university. But mind you becoming a professional historian is not easy nor is it a guarantee of a good job. Even having a Ph.D in your field you would likely need to spend at least several years travelling from community college to community college taking contract/ part time based gigs and hoping you eventually get a position at a good institution. But going this route does offer an opportunity to make a decent living either in academia or working for an intelligence agency but its a process that takes many years. It involves a great deal of hardship to. Its also not a field where just having the academic credentials is enough. Its field that's highly dependent on X factors. Such as having a good relationship with your supervisor, networking well to have as many contacts as possible in different departments across a variety of institutions etc... Getting involved in academic journals and publishing your work in academic journals goes a long way as well. Going to conferences as well is critical.

Correct me if I am wrong but I assume a job like this would interest you greatly (perhaps it would even be your "dream job") : https://www.cia.gov/careers/jobs/intelligence-scholar/

However, given your present situation and credentials, getting this job is nigh impossible. However if you had an advanced degree in history, published several academic articles or even wrote a scholarly book perhaps on a CIA operation/history, spoke one or more foreign languages, and had teaching experience at the university level then your chances of getting this job would greatly increase. Even with all this, the likelihood of getting this job would still be fairly low, but at least it would be a somewhat realistic goal.

I know a few people who have Ph. Ds, despite the fact that they are all undoubtedly "smart", they have had varying degrees of success in their professional lives.

Now I don't know how it works with the CIA, but CSIS (Canada's CIA) offers internships for students. This is the "easiest" way to get your foot in the door. While getting an internship is not easy it is much easier than getting straight up hired. If you perform well as an intern you have a decent chance of getting a full time position upon graduation. Now if you did an M.A. in political science or history and applied to an internship position with the CIA, that maybe a way to get in, but its far from a guarantee.

However doing all of the above would have been significantly easier while you were living with your parents. Now unfortunately you will probably be forced to take a, what I would call, "road to nowhere" job just to make ends meet. The job at that local museum/historic house is one example. It may help to pay the bills for the time being and allow you to have some food in your belly but that job is probably not a good long term solution. You would probably want to work in some field that will give you a realistic shot at advancement. Yeah America is a rich country but it is also a country of profound inequality. Just look at the difference in median and mean wealth in America : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_wealth_per_adult Yeah being rich in America is great but being poor is no fun. Life in Skid Row or in some other American ghettos is about as bad as life in any Brazilian favela... Don't end up on the wrong side of the fence.

This is why, as others have said, a skilled trade maybe your best long term solution as that is a career path that can lead to a very good income and has a relatively low barrier to entry. However most of them require schooling and at the moment you need to be generating an income to survive.

This is not really my business, but since you posted this on a public forum, I may as well voice this. Do you have any friends or family you could live with, once your parent's house is sold ? Obviously I am not saying that you should be a leech and live off them without paying for rent or anything but just to find someone you know to live with as room-mates ?? Splitting the rent/housing bill is a huge help when you are first starting off, and not to mention that given your present situation, not being alone and having someone to talk to etc.., in my opinion, would greatly benefit you. But all of this requires taking any job you can get at this moment. Also living in an assisted living home requires a lot of $, at least in Canada. You mentioned that "we are in the process of selling my parent's house"- i assume the we refers to your siblings? I also guess the proceeds from selling your parent's house will go towards covering the assisted living costs?

One final thing you might want to consider when it comes to moving is being away from your mom. If you move and as a result you don't get to see your mom much or spend time with her, regardless of her Alzheimer's, and your mom passes this could be something you will severely regret for the rest of your life. One thing to take into account.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ekaterina Lobach North Fork Bullets

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!