9x57 Mauser for plains game?

I have a 9x57 on a GEW built in an Express rifle configuration. I too shoot the 250 gr RN cast from an Ideal 358318 sized to 358. Cases are Remington necked up and don't have to turn the outside of the neck. I didn't chrono these loads as I have to load to the sights. To get proper fit, I necked up with my 9.3 then sized back down to 9 mm to make the shoulder need to fire form as the shoulder on my 9x57 is almost round instead of tapered. Shoots very good groups at 100 yards. Hoping to shoot a deer this year with it. Can't remember the load weight, but I'm using H335! Good luck with that rifle, I,love shooting cast boolits too.

I also have an Obendorf '98 in 9x57 with a lot of researched history behind it!
I managed to find some correctly headstamped brass on Gunbroker. I'm not sure whether it's Turkish or possibly Egyptian, but it loads & shoots just fine. My bore slugged at .355, so i picked up a correctly sized Lee sizing die & swages down some Speer 250s. Mine has fixed sights (one standing, one folding) so i had to adjust my load to the sights, but it's a joy to shoot. I haven't taken game with it yet, but I've carried it on an elk hunt & i know it's taken at least 1 Male Lion (in the previous owner's hands)

That was largely the reason for my purchase. The old gentleman is a good friend & well regarded knife maker, who allowed me access to his workshop whenever the craving to create cutlery struck me. Unfortunately he was diagnosed with a terminal illness (as though being 88 years old wasn't enough...) & sold off his extensive collection to cover medical expenses. I first admired this gun in a photo of him with the lion & when it came up for auction, well..... what could i do?!
20200610_135333.jpg

my friend just bought a 9.3x57 swedish built on a 96 military action in ex used condition, along with three boxs of factory norma ammo for 450.00 usd. we are going to try reloading for it by useing several different dies. it looks just like the above rifle, only on a 96 action.

my friend just bought a 9.3x57 swedish built on a 96 military action in ex used condition, along with three boxs of factory norma ammo for 450.00 usd. we are going to try reloading for it by useing several different dies. it looks just like the above rifle, only on a 96 action.
Hornady still make 9.3x57 die sets, fyi.

Hornady still make 9.3x57 die sets, fyi.
I ended up using Hornady dies for my 9.3x 57. Bought some new 8mmx57 brass. One pass through a 9.3 sizer die and you have 9.3x57 brass!
Easy and inexpensive, comparatively, to load for!

I ended up using Hornady dies for my 9.3x 57. Bought some new 8mmx57 brass. One pass through a 9.3 sizer die and you have 9.3x57 brass!
Easy and inexpensive, comparatively, to load for!
That's exactly my plan for my latest project (a previously cut-down Husky M46) I've got bunches of 8mm brass kicking around.

I'm glad you posted that, actually. I was thinking i might have to run it through my 9mm die first, then the 9.3.

That's exactly my plan for my latest project (a previously cut-down Husky M46) I've got bunches of 8mm brass kicking around.

I'm glad you posted that, actually. I was thinking i might have to run it through my 9mm die first, then the 9.3.
Make sure to use a good inside the neck lube....super easy!

Does anyone other than Norma still factory load 9.3x57? (I'm assuming folks in Europe do but not stateside?) There are some tempting Huskies floating around pretty cheap... but I don't need another reloading project!

Does anyone other than Norma still factory load 9.3x57? (I'm assuming folks in Europe do but not stateside?) There are some tempting Huskies floating around pretty cheap... but I don't need another reloading project!
I believe that it has been discontinued. You may be able to find some leftover stock somewhere.
Some of the Husqvarna rifles out there are chambered for the 8x57. Good availability for that.

Yes, lots of 8mms floating around. But 9.3x57 has a uniqueness that just makes it cool.
Yes! Plus the 8mm's, that I've seen, don't have as nice of wood on them it seems...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smithcaterine92

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg