9.3x74

Harry3

New member
Joined
Jul 24, 2009
Messages
11
Reaction score
2
Website
www.sesolinc.com
Member of
Forrest City Gun Club, NRA
Hunted
USA, RSA
Hey
What are/is the African legal and ballistic implications, RSA and Namibia, for 9.3x74 vs .375 Ruger? Have the Ruger, but wonding if I need to purchase/bring the 93 instead and what the real world stopping power is between the two [ballistics charts being what they are]. Any and all comments will be appreciated and may save me money. Thanks guys [and gals]!
This might be scewed up, as Im trying to figure out how to just post something on this new formatting. Sorry....
 
Harry if you already have the 375 Ruger (if you are talking about the 375Ruger cartridge) you are set in both those countries. If you’re talking about the 375 H&H in a Ruger rifle then it is even more suitable.
The 9.3X74R is a flanged cartridge that is designed for use in double rifles, and single shots. The bolt action version of the 9.3X74R is the 9.3X62 Mauser. Both are less powerful than the 375 Ruger ! The 375 Ruger is legal for all game in both places, but the 9.3X74R and the 9.3X62 Mauser are not legal for all game in a few places.
If you want a 9.3X74R double rifle, then that is a whole different ball of wax. That would be a fine companion for your Ruger. All the chamberings mentioned are legal in Namibia with maybe the exception of Cape Buffalo and/or elephant, and the 375Ruger is legal for those as well.

You will be fine with what you have now! Enjoy!
 
actually, and I appologize, as my brain frequently defaults to #$!%@#.... I have the 375 Ruger. I just picked up the 45-70 double Sabatti. They have one in the 9.3-74 which I am tempted to grab, but the Ruger is so much more the sledge hammer.... I love the double and the avaiability of ammo in RSA, but its just not the "BANG" the Ruger is. I might yet grab that 93, just to take it, unless I can stumble across a 375HH or better double....
 
actually, and I appologize, as my brain frequently defaults to #$!%@#.... I have the 375 Ruger. I just picked up the 45-70 double Sabatti. They have one in the 9.3-74 which I am tempted to grab, but the Ruger is so much more the sledge hammer.... I love the double and the avaiability of ammo in RSA, but its just not the "BANG" the Ruger is. I might yet grab that 93, just to take it, unless I can stumble across a 375HH or better double....

The sabattis are well made though a little light for some of the chamberings they make them in. Let me comment on your statement in BOLD above! If you find a double rifle chambered for 375 Flanged Magnum, then buy it, but a double chambered for 375 H&H belted/rimless cartridge is not suitable for a double rifle that will be used on dangerous game. You may get by with that chambering without problem, but the first shot on dangerous game may be the time the problem with rimless cartridges in double rifles shows it ugly head. Though the 9.3X74R is a tiny bit less powerfull than the 375 H&H, in a double rifle it is a far better choice! AAll double rifles that will be used on dangerous game shoulf be chambered for rimmed (flanged) cartridges!
Sabatti makes their rifle chambered for 450NE 3 1/4inch and that is a real stopper!
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,310
Messages
1,572,476
Members
169,572
Latest member
FloridaGlo
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top