9.3 x 62 and the 320 grain Weldcore

For this, as a woods/thickets/alders stopping load, would hope 25 yds would be ~ the minimum range.

But have had really big (+300 lb) hogs closer than that, and a Big bear encounter can get to contact range as well.

So, for this load, optimum bullet performance at close range is better than out past 200 yds.

Have other bullets/loads for that.

Red
well, i broke down and ordered a box of the 320s, lol. it's an addiction. it isn't my fault. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

well, i broke down and ordered a box of the 320s, lol. it's an addiction. it isn't my fault. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Yeah... think I'm headed the same way.

Either Varget or Big Game and CCI 200 primers should be able to produce a mid-power load of ~ 2260 fps at the muzzle, 2200 fps right at 25 yds., and 2000 fps just past 100 yds.

Sighted +1.5"@100 - it would be a little less than 4" low at 200, and still be in excess of 1800 fps.

All-n-all a well balanced woods load.

Red

I'm saving what little varget I have left for my 308. I'll be giving the 320s a go with the 2000MR

RN, and same as you, 2250 give or take a little. given what the upper end is with Big Game, 2250 should be an easy reach for the 2000MR

I really have no need of this to hunt the white tails in Louisiana. A 110 class buck is a big buck where I grew up.

RN, and same as you, 2250 give or take a little. given what the upper end is with Big Game, 2250 should be an easy reach for the 2000MR

I really have no need of this to hunt the white tails in Louisiana. A 110 class buck is a big buck where I grew up.

There are some monster Minnesota whitetail out in Thistlethwaite WMA, and 300+ lb rooters up in the piney woods of Kisatchie.

Red

my best friend from college is from Dry Prong, the two of us hunted Kisatchie quite a bit in the late 80s, being poor, broke college students at La Tech.

Thistlethwaite I've never hunted, did not know they have big deer there. Might have to try and figure out something.

We have lots of hogs in Texas, I just haven't hunted them in a couple years.

Don't get me wrong - between us and our neighbors, we do a pretty good management job on the deer, one of about 10 of us will take a 200+ lb buck off that place every year. We're about halfway between St Francisville and Jackson, near the intersection of Hwys 965 and 966. That's rugged country for LA, and is rugged all the way up to Woodville and over to the LA state pen.

my best friend from college is from Dry Prong, the two of us hunted Kisatchie quite a bit in the late 80s, being poor, broke college students at La Tech.

Thistlethwaite I've never hunted, did not know they have big deer there. Might have to try and figure out something.

We have lots of hogs in Texas, I just haven't hunted them in a couple years.

Don't get me wrong - between us and our neighbors, we do a pretty good management job on the deer, one of about 10 of us will take a 200+ lb buck off that place every year. We're about halfway between St Francisville and Jackson, near the intersection of Hwys 965 and 966. That's rugged country for LA, and is rugged all the way up to Woodville and over to the LA state pen.

Used to hunt Tunica hills quite a bit when I was at LSU.

Looks like W. Virginia.

Red

I am told the black bears have gotten so thick near the prison that the deer hunters are hanging their feeders 10-12 feet up, and 12 or 15 feet between trees. Otherwise, the bears destroy the feeders.

What I don't understand is the Louisiana black bear was removed from the "threatened" category about 6 or 7 years ago, and still no black bear season. Farmers and landowners will only "donate" their efforts for so long. They need to be thrown in the mix, even if by lottery only.

I am told the black bears have gotten so thick near the prison that the deer hunters are hanging their feeders 10-12 feet up, and 12 or 15 feet between trees. Otherwise, the bears destroy the feeders.

What I don't understand is the Louisiana black bear was removed from the "threatened" category about 6 or 7 years ago, and still no black bear season. Farmers and landowners will only "donate" their efforts for so long. They need to be thrown in the mix, even if by lottery only.

W/ all the rattlesnakes and copperheads up there... it's a wonder there are any bears at all.

Red

a cousin got an adolescent black bear on game cam, about 75 yards or so from our property lines.

what we have in abundance on our place is cane break (timber) rattlers.

I'm saving what little varget I have left for my 308. I'll be giving the 320s a go with the 2000MR
@sgt zim
I thought you had switched to cfe223 for your 308. It's my go to powder for hunting loads in the 08. I now only use Varget/2208 in my range rounds to conserve my cfe223.
Bob

@sgt zim
I thought you had switched to cfe223 for your 308. It's my go to powder for hunting loads in the 08. I now only use Varget/2208 in my range rounds to conserve my cfe223.
Bob
For SMK and Gold Dot 168s, yes, CFE223 or Win748.

For ELD-X 178 and Speer G.S., I use varget. Hard to give up a recipe using varget when it produces 5-shot groups like these at 100 yards.

42.8 gr varget.jpg

43.7 gr varget.jpg

a cousin got an adolescent black bear on game cam, about 75 yards or so from our property lines.

what we have in abundance on our place is cane break (timber) rattlers.

Well, ...backordered a coupla boxes of the 320 gr. RNSP Weldcores.

Any chance of you postin' up, or PM'in' me, a pic of the Load data for'em out of your Woodleigh book?

Really just interested in the Varget and Big Game powders, and maybe their COAL spec..

Assume CCI 200 primers for both.

Thanks.

P.S. Buddy of mine has a camp along the bluff overlookin' Angola.

Anytime save Winter... the rattlesnakes look like this, anywhere there's shade...

Red

Here's a link to the Ramshot data (Big Game being marked as the preferred powder): http://blog.westernpowders.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/9.3x62-Data.pdf. They don't specify the Woodleigh bullet by name, but there's only Woodleigh who makes a 320 in .366, so...

From the 2014 edition of the Woodleigh reloading manual for 320 RN SN .366 bullet
Varget 50.0-56.0 grains, for MV of 2020 to 2185 fps.

Attachments

• 9.3x62-Data.pdf
    160 KB · Views: 112
Here's a link to the Ramshot data (Big Game being marked as the preferred powder): http://blog.westernpowders.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/9.3x62-Data.pdf. They don't specify the Woodleigh bullet by name, but there's only Woodleigh who makes a 320 in .366, so...

From the 2014 edition of the Woodleigh reloading manual for 320 RN SN .366 bullet
Varget 50.0-56.0 grains, for MV of 2020 to 2185 fps.

Thanks Z.

Think 58.0 gn. of Varget will fit under a 320 gr. Weldcore and not blow primers?

Figger I'll need 57-58 to make my numbers.

If not, there is always Big Game.

(Although, MD/Campfire says Big Game likes high pressure... like 60k psi., to burn well/consistent)

Red

yes, that is the skinny on Big Game. doesn't work worth a flip with the NAB 250s

you may be able to get 58 gr in there, just depends on bullet depth.

Hornady shows a max load of 57.5 gr Varget for their 286 gr pill, but that's also with a published COAL of 3.125". I would think if you're out at around 3.250 and .02-.04 off the lands still, you'd probably be in good shape. YMMV so proceed with all due caution.

yes, that is the skinny on Big Game. doesn't work worth a flip with the NAB 250s

you may be able to get 58 gr in there, just depends on bullet depth.

Hornady shows a max load of 57.5 gr Varget for their 286 gr pill, but that's also with a published COAL of 3.125". I would think if you're out at around 3.250 and .02-.04 off the lands still, you'd probably be in good shape. YMMV so proceed with all due caution.

Thanks, good to know.

Hodgdon has a 3.150" COAL for a 300 gr., what I assume to be the HDY/DG, but that is not a true RN.

What does the Woodleigh book recommend RE: COAL for the 320 gr. RNSP?

Red

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg