8x57 build

Thank you for that info unfortunately in Australia at the moment the only propellants available are from Australian Defense Industries who make most of Hodgdon powders but are called different names, but there are cross reference charts , some Alliant reloder
series are imported but are in short supply, Winchester has stopped importing powder. no IMR or Norma is imported any more. the good news is that ADI powders are Made here & are excellent products.

I can definitely say that the 8mm Mauser is every bit the equal of the .30-06, if not a little more.

I can see it being better on heavier, thin skin, non-dangerous game.

Getting a 200 gr bullet up to 2750 fps is awesome!

Hawk

These are some really old Norma 196 gr round nose 8mm bullets. Thin skinned, thick skinned, never had one fail to kill anything. They work great in the 8mm 06 also. Wish they still made them.

5006DFD2-10D6-47E3-ABEA-0D961C772BEF.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
@rdog H4895 and IMR3031 work very well with 160gn TTSX bullets. ADI 2208/ Varget is good so is Alliant's RL-15, but if available try some CFE223, I think you will be happy with it. That's what I use for bullets heavier than the 160's.

@hawkeyesatx , Thank you for the Quick load data in the 8x57! That is a gold mine right there. I definitely agree with you that it is an equal to the .30-06 in many ways. I'd definitely take the 200 grain bullet every time in the 8x57. It's a sledgehammer for sure.
@Forrest Halley

You're very welcome! I wanted to pass along a good thing.

If the 200gr Nosler AB can't get it done, at 2740fps, nothing else will either.

Hawk

@Forrest Halley

Hawk
Out of respect for the folks that made it, the man that carried it, and the man that brought it home, I'll be gentle with mine as it's an old girl. I just enjoy the 200 grain bullet as it seems to regulate to the sights a tad better. It's still a good shooting rifle after 77 years. It isn't easy being a '44 with matching numbers.

Out of respect for the folks that made it, the man that carried it, and the man that brought it home, I'll be gentle with mine as it's an old girl. I just enjoy the 200 grain bullet as it seems to regulate to the sights a tad better. It's still a good shooting rifle after 77 years. It isn't easy being a '44 with matching numbers.

You are quite right, in that the sights are regulated to the 196 Spitzer Boat-tail ball round that the Germans used.

The 200 gr Nosler AB is one heck of a whopper! I don’t think anything this short of moose will be able to withstand the prowess of the 8x57.
It’s a classic round, and should be used a lot more I think.

Hawk

@Forrest Halley

Hawk
@hawkeyesatx
Just goes to show AGAIN how good the old cartridges can be when loaded PROPERLY to reach their potential SAFELY
Bob

that's the old Finish trigger guard right?

Yes, it could very well be.
I know the later Kar 98’s had the same trigger guard.
Supposed to help when you have a glove on your hand to help clear the guard and still pull the trigger.

Hawk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg