8x57 build

Thank you for that info unfortunately in Australia at the moment the only propellants available are from Australian Defense Industries who make most of Hodgdon powders but are called different names, but there are cross reference charts , some Alliant reloder
series are imported but are in short supply, Winchester has stopped importing powder. no IMR or Norma is imported any more. the good news is that ADI powders are Made here & are excellent products.
 
I can definitely say that the 8mm Mauser is every bit the equal of the .30-06, if not a little more.

I can see it being better on heavier, thin skin, non-dangerous game.

Getting a 200 gr bullet up to 2750 fps is awesome!

Hawk
 
These are some really old Norma 196 gr round nose 8mm bullets. Thin skinned, thick skinned, never had one fail to kill anything. They work great in the 8mm 06 also. Wish they still made them.

5006DFD2-10D6-47E3-ABEA-0D961C772BEF.jpeg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@rdog H4895 and IMR3031 work very well with 160gn TTSX bullets. ADI 2208/ Varget is good so is Alliant's RL-15, but if available try some CFE223, I think you will be happy with it. That's what I use for bullets heavier than the 160's.
 
@hawkeyesatx , Thank you for the Quick load data in the 8x57! That is a gold mine right there. I definitely agree with you that it is an equal to the .30-06 in many ways. I'd definitely take the 200 grain bullet every time in the 8x57. It's a sledgehammer for sure.
@Forrest Halley

You're very welcome! I wanted to pass along a good thing.

If the 200gr Nosler AB can't get it done, at 2740fps, nothing else will either.


Hawk
 
@Forrest Halley

You're very welcome! I wanted to pass along a good thing.

If the 200gr Nosler AB can't get it done, at 2740fps, nothing else will either.


Hawk
Out of respect for the folks that made it, the man that carried it, and the man that brought it home, I'll be gentle with mine as it's an old girl. I just enjoy the 200 grain bullet as it seems to regulate to the sights a tad better. It's still a good shooting rifle after 77 years. It isn't easy being a '44 with matching numbers.
 
Out of respect for the folks that made it, the man that carried it, and the man that brought it home, I'll be gentle with mine as it's an old girl. I just enjoy the 200 grain bullet as it seems to regulate to the sights a tad better. It's still a good shooting rifle after 77 years. It isn't easy being a '44 with matching numbers.

You are quite right, in that the sights are regulated to the 196 Spitzer Boat-tail ball round that the Germans used.

The 200 gr Nosler AB is one heck of a whopper! I don’t think anything this short of moose will be able to withstand the prowess of the 8x57.
It’s a classic round, and should be used a lot more I think.


Hawk
 
@Forrest Halley

You're very welcome! I wanted to pass along a good thing.

If the 200gr Nosler AB can't get it done, at 2740fps, nothing else will either.


Hawk
@hawkeyesatx
Just goes to show AGAIN how good the old cartridges can be when loaded PROPERLY to reach their potential SAFELY
Bob
 
that's the old Finish trigger guard right?

Yes, it could very well be.
I know the later Kar 98’s had the same trigger guard.
Supposed to help when you have a glove on your hand to help clear the guard and still pull the trigger.


Hawk
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,355
Messages
1,573,955
Members
169,875
Latest member
AngeliaFro
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

jnelson wrote on Jjhog's profile.
might think about getting these bullets to me
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top