8x57 African big game load

My two stepped barrel 8X57JS Mausers.

Attachments

• IMG_20230826_095900.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 45
Last edited by a moderator:
Not a problem. Only lazy people have issues with corrosive ammo. Parker Hale 303 can very mixed with water. Ballistol can be used straight OR with water. Cold water, just by itself, followed up by any light emulsifying oil, is good.
@ZG47
The old 303 was cleaned by pouring boiling water down the bore to was the salts out followed by a patch with the good ol 303 oil.
That oil had a smell as ll of its own.
Bob

And with the 303, don’t forget the crooked little brass funnel to fit the chamber for washing
gumpy
@Grumpy gumpy
Never was that flash mate.
A plastic funnel with a piece of hose that fit in the chamber did the job for this cheapskate.
Bob

@Grumpy gumpy
Never was that flash mate.
A plastic funnel with a piece of hose that fit in the chamber did the job for this cheapskate.
Bob
old full bore shooters used them, I had my grandfathers one till my shit for brains father cut the crooked chamber part off as he wanted a funnel, he didn’t like it when I told him how much they were worth.
gumpy

I’m looking for a 8x57 for a general purpose rifle
what is the best grain ammo for it as I only ever see 196gr S&B ammo

For factory ammo I wouldn't hesitate using the 196gr S&B, they shot great and velocity was as advertised. Another good option is Hornady International with 195gr interlocks.

For reloading, Nosler BT 180gr and Barnes TSX 180gr would be great options at 2700 +/- feet per second. One of my main hunting rifles is set up with the TSX 180 gr at 2780 fps and its one of the best combinations I have used in a while. Nosler did great as well.

This bullet was recovered on a large bodied mule deer at 180 yards, shot was head on and tucked in under its chin into the chest. Dropped the deer on the spot, 100 percent weight retention.

mi9offK.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Please explain, as I don’t understand how the 1-10 twist for the 8mmRM is problematic compared to the 1-11 twist for the 8x68s.
Increased rotational velocity will cause greater expansion on target and in extreme circumstances will cause a bullet to disintegrate, shortly after leaving the barrel. The latter case has been reported more than once with high velocity varmint chamberings.
The Remington round has developed a reputation for blowing up bullets BUT the Schuler round has not. I would also point out that 8x68 S production rifles with 1-10" twist barrels have only come out in the last 5? years or so i.e., after a broad range of mono-metal and bonded bullets--for heavy game--became available.

Last edited:
@ZG47
The old 303 was cleaned by pouring boiling water down the bore to was the salts out followed by a patch with the good ol 303 oil.
That oil had a smell as ll of its own.
Bob
I prefer hot water BUT cold will do when that is what you have. Just use more water.

I prefer hot water BUT cold will do when that is what you have. Just use more water.
@ZG47
I agree hot water will work but you need more of it.
My dad was an armourer for 21 years and always said BOILING water. It dissolved the salts better, dried quicker because of the heat and allowed the oil to work better for protection.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabe

Latest profile posts

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg