80 Year Old Catfish Rookie Unforgettable Day

And as a Southerner I have never fished for pike, muskgee, or walleye. Nor have I have fished in a hut on a frozen lake.

Regardless, of our fishing experiences it is a good thing that our Dad’s have taken us fishing. You have provided a good return on investment.
Pike, perch and walleye are the Big 3 where I live. And every free weekend from the beginning of January till the end of March we are on the ice. Good times!

I am pretty sure I was actually fishing close to you guys for a bit. looked like you were having great success.
I was hosting my annual family fishing derby that day as well. I fish the Red for cats regularly and it truly is a world class fishery.
attached a few pics from our day.

1F467EBB-4449-4CE4-BC21-3353DD604382.jpeg
90BF1CA7-2D66-4D69-BC27-D80F02FB42A4.jpeg
1D9C8D64-E47B-4793-9A0D-218F67102179.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am pretty sure I was actually fishing close to you guys for a bit. looked like you were having great success.
I was hosting my annual family fishing derby that day as well. I fish the Red for cats regularly and it truly is a world class fishery.
attached a few pics from our day.
Yep. Looks familiar.

What a great trip! Those memories no one can take away from you. Keep making them and taking your dad fishing. Well done!

Your priorities are well placed! Congratulations on the fine day fishing.

My father has been my longest fishing partner. We’ve had some great days fishing together but today may have been the best yet. This spring I lost my father-in-law which was a hard blow. Four days later my dad celebrated his 80th birthday. He is in great health, but watching my wife go through the loss of her dad really drove home that 80 is a pretty big number and you just never know. So I’m feeling the need to do as much as I can with him while he has his health. One day I watched a fishing show where they were fishing at Selkirk, Manitoba for channel catfish. Neither one of us has even seen a catfish before so I asked him if he’d be interested. He was! So I booked a one day trip with CatDaddy Fishing Guide Services and we were set. During the five hour drive from his home in Saskatchewan we discussed what we hoped to catch and what we expected. Well today was the big day and to say that our expectations were blown out of the water is an understatement! The number of fish we caught and the size of them blew our minds and killed our arms. This trip took place on the Red River by Selkirk, Manitoba and it is a world class fishery. We caught over 30 fish (three double-headers) and most were over 20 pounds. What a day. Dad said it was in his top 3 fishing days in his life, so that alone made it all worthwhile. Here are a few pics.
View attachment 485868
View attachment 485860
View attachment 485861
View attachment 485862View attachment 485863
View attachment 485864
View attachment 485865
View attachment 485866
View attachment 485867
@Ragman
That's some mighty fine fishing. I'm glad you and your dad got to make some cherished memories.
Those cat fish are some real fine eating once they are skun.
Every time I went home to visit my parents I always made sure dad and I went fishing, even near the end when he had to cart an oxygen cylinder around we still managed a small fishing trip. I sure do miss those times but have the fond memories.
Bob

My father has been my longest fishing partner. We’ve had some great days fishing together but today may have been the best yet. This spring I lost my father-in-law which was a hard blow. Four days later my dad celebrated his 80th birthday. He is in great health, but watching my wife go through the loss of her dad really drove home that 80 is a pretty big number and you just never know. So I’m feeling the need to do as much as I can with him while he has his health. One day I watched a fishing show where they were fishing at Selkirk, Manitoba for channel catfish. Neither one of us has even seen a catfish before so I asked him if he’d be interested. He was! So I booked a one day trip with CatDaddy Fishing Guide Services and we were set. During the five hour drive from his home in Saskatchewan we discussed what we hoped to catch and what we expected. Well today was the big day and to say that our expectations were blown out of the water is an understatement! The number of fish we caught and the size of them blew our minds and killed our arms. This trip took place on the Red River by Selkirk, Manitoba and it is a world class fishery. We caught over 30 fish (three double-headers) and most were over 20 pounds. What a day. Dad said it was in his top 3 fishing days in his life, so that alone made it all worthwhile. Here are a few pics.
View attachment 485868
View attachment 485860
View attachment 485861
View attachment 485862View attachment 485863
View attachment 485864
View attachment 485865
View attachment 485866
View attachment 485867
Now that's just cool!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdwinaHedr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you