8 bore rifle load data wanted

matt85

AH legend
Joined
Jan 7, 2014
Messages
3,668
Reaction score
4,923
Location
WA, USA
Media
30
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
If anyone has any load data for an 8 bore rifle, please post it here! Load data will be treated as suggestions (use at your own risk). If you are uncomfortable posting your data and wish to be anonymous, you can PM me the data.

So far I've found:
- 10 drams (273gr) of black powder under a round ball.
- 70gr of Blue Dot under a round ball.
- 70gr of Blue Dot under a 1200gr bullet.
- 67gr of Blue Dot under a 1335gr bullet.

Thank you
-Matt
 
Matt, since you sold your Heym, did you buy an 8-bore yet?

Why do you think I'm trying to find more load data? ;)

I bought the 8-bore off our classifieds section. Now I'm putting supplies together to shoot it. I may be able to at least test fire the gun in a couple weeks thanks to the help of a fellow forum member. But it will likely be months before I can start real load development (im waiting on brass from RMC).

-Matt
 
Why do you think I'm trying to find more load data? ;)

I bought the 8-bore off our classifieds section. Now I'm putting supplies together to shoot it. I may be able to at least test fire the gun in a couple weeks thanks to the help of a fellow forum member. But it will likely be months before I can start real load development (im waiting on brass from RMC).

-Matt
Nice, I’m envious! The 8 bore was my favorite rifle to shoot at the AK double shoot several years ago. I checked my book from Cal, and it looks like you already have all the loads it contains. Have you thought of using real black powder? Lot’s more kick but you’ll likely find a load it likes!
 
Nice, I’m envious! The 8 bore was my favorite rifle to shoot at the AK double shoot several years ago. I checked my book from Cal, and it looks like you already have all the loads it contains. Have you thought of using real black powder? Lot’s more kick but you’ll likely find a load it likes!

Its highly likely you and I have met at one or more of those AK double gun shoots. Cal's 8-bore paradox gun is what inspired me to get my own 8-bore.

I will probably test fire the gun with the load given in the original ledger. 10 drams of black powder under a ball.

-matt
 
Its highly likely you and I have met at one or more of those AK double gun shoots. Cal's 8-bore paradox gun is what inspired me to get my own 8-bore.

I will probably test fire the gun with the load given in the original ledger. 10 drams of black powder under a ball.

-matt
Yes, we did meet…you were kind enough to let me shoot your Heym 89b. It was 2018 I think, when you had to use bolt cutters to get into your gun case!

I recommend sticking with high quality (Swiss) black powder when you test fire. In my experience with an H&H .450 BPE, the cheaper powders never produced enough velocity to regulate.

Please keep us up to date with your load development!
 
@frog stealer I have the memory of a gold fish, forgive me :Sorry:. I certainly remember needing bolt cutters to get into my gun case... some jerk who looked a lot like me, left his keys in his hotel room :Facepalm:.

I don't have any Swiss, but I do have plenty of Goex and Schuetzen. It will basically be a case of using what I have. If I don't have any luck with Blue Dot loads or I simply can't find any more Blue Dot, I will order some Swiss powder.

-Matt
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,427
Messages
1,575,930
Members
170,480
Latest member
vastecautevane
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top