8 bore bp loads

Slightly off topic. I could never understand how the pin fire hull could seal gas escape. Your pics clearly show zero detectable gas leakage. Impressive.
Oh its there. Albeit pretty minor
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20260225_214438_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20260225_214438_Gallery.jpg
    506.5 KB · Views: 89
That tiny puff of gasses of interesting. I'd have thought a LOT more would show in a bore rifle.
Late friend and buddy, Leatherbelly shooting a .50 Beck longrifle with vent smaller than 1/16".
I had figured likely 1/2 that at each shot from a pin fire. Obliviously not.
 

Attachments

  • LB.png
    LB.png
    540.8 KB · Views: 88
Not sure on that @Daryl S don’t forget my 3in 15lb 12bore rifle !
No reference to case length, but reference to 9 dram loads (Double Gun Journal, Fall 2002). Have one on the other end of the spectrum at 2 drams. At 9 drams, I think I’d just step up to an 8 bore
IMG_0776.jpeg
 
Interesting. The 8 dram load is listed for round ball, while the new 9 dram load is listed with both round ball at 600gr. and slugs at 750gr. 750gr.
Greeners book lists only 4 1/4, 5 and 7drams, all with round balls.
 
Given the weight of the gun and the fast twist, any chance that this was intended for lower velocities? A way to stabilize low velocity bullets is to use a faster than normal twist as they do in the various subsonic loads/calibers. Just a thought. Regardless, really cool gun!
Muzzle velocity would need to stay under 1100fps to keep the recoil energy under 200ft lbs
 
In the mid 1800's, some English makers had some weird ideas abut rates of twist, but I've never heard of one that fast. Forsyth wrote in 1860 of a 13 bore double(muzzleloading) he had, that had a 24" ROT and would not shoot accurately with anything over 1 1/2 drams of powder. Round ball of course.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,353
Messages
1,573,881
Members
169,869
Latest member
tropketvomi1988
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top