500gr .458 Nosler Partition??

Ray B

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
I checked the search but found nothing showing results. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the 500 grain Nosler Partition fired from a .458 Win Mag.

Surprised that nobody has responded to this!

Me too. I guess most have moved on to newer, "better" projectiles like A-frames and all the mono-metal bullets. I don't have experience with the partition in the caliber, but they have performed admirably in my .300 Wby. Personally I think they are a little underrated.

About 10 years back, I did a head shot on a hippo with one, shot him in the back of the head from above, was instant death, I still have the point, will look for it when I am back. Did the job perfectly.

About 10 years back, I did a head shot on a hippo with one, shot him in the back of the head from above, was instant death, I still have the point, will look for it when I am back. Did the job perfectly.

Look forward to seeing that one Simon.

i had great results with my 450 ackley mag and nosler partition 500grs both on water buffalo great expansion and penetration my load are 2350fps muzzle velocity and shot the buffalo at 65 yrds it rolled him over on his nose froma quatering away shot behind the left shoulder blade came out his cervical spine the internal damage was impressive from the wound channel and secondary fragmentation of ribs and shoulder bone.
I gave him a second shot in the ground for insurance but also the bullet exited via his upper spine with impressive wound channel the shot was about 10 yrds away he was done

Yes, I have. Rifle was a Mauser Model 66 belonging to my white hunter. The cartridge was a Nosler Partition 500Gr factory load. He used it to stop a male lion's charge. Only one frontal shot absolutely hammered the 500Lb animal.

Very very potent choice for the cats. I don't recommend the Nosler Partition for hunting Cape buffalo, however.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BelleTjalk

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you