500 S&W, 700 grain

ldmay375

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Does anyone actually hunt with the S&W 500 and 700 grain bullets ?
Just curious as to how this bullet performs on game. That is a Lot of lead there.
I have a few to shoot, purely for the novelty. I think, I would be more inline with the 500 grain bullets.
The first two pictures are the 700 grain load with a 325 WSM, 200 grain TSX.

1A6ECC74-6399-40F9-A5CE-E06EC0CC3E66.jpeg
61D41D97-2C22-451B-A4C8-9347B638FDB1.jpeg
902D2B15-E2C2-4C58-9924-1EF63A6AB540.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 4” barrel inclusive of the removable compensator. I have Zero intention of hunting with this revolver.
Though, I do wonder about the performance of the 700 gr vs the 500. I would certainly have to prove lack of crimp jump on any multi-shot firearm.

92FAB594-DBA5-49C8-88D9-5DB546812F5C.png

Last edited by a moderator:
My 4" didn't stabilize the 460gr long flat nose rounds I had bought so I am back at the 440s.

I have some of the 600s to try anyways.

But if the 700 works and it has the velocity and energy, it has a .400 sectional density...
If the twist is right and everything is there to stabilize it, should be a good penetrator.

Would be interesting to see what they could do if pushed hard in a rifle, 1605fps and she bumps the 4,000 ft/lb mark.

Guessing you'd be looking at about 1300fps with something like the 10" S&W revolver which would still be 2627 ft/lbs
1,000fps and it's still at 1554 ft/lbs

The buffalo bore 44mag 340gr +p+ at their advertised velocity is sitting at 1533 ft/lbs.

So the 700, if stabilized correctly shouldn't be an issue, and if pushed hard could be a monster in a rifle, certainly no slouch in the longer barreled handguns that would be more likely to stabilize them.

Hey, for those of you with the S&W 500 revolvers, or most of their revolvers with the 3 hole adjustable rear sights.

Bowen classic arms has rear sights for these that work, I got their shallow V adjustable rear sight, but they do have other shapes and types.

They also sell a front sight "blank," that would allow a gunsmith to make a regulated front sight for it as well, they can shape it and finish it how you wish, standard black blade, drill/install dot, ramp it etc...
I don't have this front, I actually have an xs big dot on right now, and have a .300 SDM gold front bead sight sitting here if this XS big dot is too low.

Point is... there are options, and that Bowen rear sight is a plug and play, you can put it in yourself without issue as long as you can work a screwdriver. You can also switch out the blade yourself, so if you bought the rear square notch and end up wanting to try the shallow V instead, you can just switch out the blade.

I don't work for any of these people, don't prostaff for anyone, don't work in anything resembling this industry even, so this isn't any kind of paid or "get free product" advertisement.

I just know it can be tough to suss out sights for these.

I have a 4” barrel inclusive of the removable compensator. I have Zero intention of hunting with this revolver.
Though, I do wonder about the performance of the 700 gr vs the 500. I would certainly have to prove lack of crimp jump on any multi-shot firearm.

View attachment 393040
Having one of those laying around, it could be mistaken for a fancy red lipstick... :E Rofl:

What a whopper though, it is not even trying to be aerodynamic anymore :E Wow:

My 4" didn't stabilize the 460gr long flat nose rounds I had bought so I am back at the 440s.

I have some of the 600s to try anyways.

But if the 700 works and it has the velocity and energy, it has a .400 sectional density...
If the twist is right and everything is there to stabilize it, should be a good penetrator.

Would be interesting to see what they could do if pushed hard in a rifle, 1605fps and she bumps the 4,000 ft/lb mark.

Guessing you'd be looking at about 1300fps with something like the 10" S&W revolver which would still be 2627 ft/lbs
1,000fps and it's still at 1554 ft/lbs

The buffalo bore 44mag 340gr +p+ at their advertised velocity is sitting at 1533 ft/lbs.

So the 700, if stabilized correctly shouldn't be an issue, and if pushed hard could be a monster in a rifle, certainly no slouch in the longer barreled handguns that would be more likely to stabilize them.
Even though I have one, I am not a true fan of the 500 S&W X-Frame. I do appreciate the power potential of the cartridge. I had always thought the X-Frame was too bulky for me as an outdoor/companion revolver. I still do. I do really like my S&W N-framed revolvers.
For a purely hunting handgun, I would not have an issue with the X-Frame. But, I would want 6”-ish barrel length. I will also clarify, I don’t not hunt with a handgun, other than small game. I do enjoy shooting my revolvers though. And usually carry a .452 or above when outdoors.

I would think this 700 grain would do well in a single shot rifle. Provided it stabilized it, as you stated. The 440 and 500 grain bullets in the revolvers should be very effective. And apparently are from what I read and have been told by those that use the .510 versions. I have fired a few of both through my 500 S&W. All informal plinking.
I am definitely more aligned with single actions revolvers. The 475 Linebaugh and 480 Ruger are my favorite cartridges above .452 diameter.
I would be very tempted to have a Winchester 1885 type in 500 S&W. Though, I am not sure if I have ever seen such.

Even though I have one, I am not a true fan of the 500 S&W X-Frame. I do appreciate the power potential of the cartridge. I had always thought the X-Frame was too bulky for me as an outdoor/companion revolver. I still do. I do really like my S&W N-framed revolvers.
For a purely hunting handgun, I would not have an issue with the X-Frame. But, I would want 6”-ish barrel length. I will also clarify, I don’t not hunt with a handgun, other than small game. I do enjoy shooting my revolvers though. And usually carry a .452 or above when outdoors.

I would think this 700 grain would do well in a single shot rifle. Provided it stabilized it, as you stated. The 440 and 500 grain bullets in the revolvers should be very effective. And apparently are from what I read and have been told by those that use the .510 versions. I have fired a few of both through my 500 S&W. All informal plinking.
I am definitely more aligned with single actions revolvers. The 475 Linebaugh and 480 Ruger are my favorite cartridges above .452 diameter.
I would be very tempted to have a Winchester 1885 type in 500 S&W. Though, I am not sure if I have ever seen such.
T/C encore makes a single shot. I like the big horn armory level action. I thought about getting it for awhile. I was hoping someone gets one and gives an acurate real use review.

I have read of one guy in Alaska that likes his 500 S&W Big Horn lever action. If I recall correctly he has taken a couple of brown bear with it. I believe these were nuisances bears in his yard.
I have handled them in stores. From appearance, the seem to be very well made. I do not recall the weight, but definitely not a lightweight. I considered buying one, more than once. But, I am more of a bolt action guy than lever action. I do have a few lever guns. My Marlin 45-70 satisfies my curiosity of the large bore levers for now. Though a 475 Linebaugh or 480 Ruger lever is a definite attraction, if it cycles the longer heavier bullets.
The TC’s seem a good idea to be able to use a variety of cartridges with barrel changes.

I have read of one guy in Alaska that likes his 500 S&W Big Horn lever action. If I recall correctly he has taken a couple of brown bear with it. I believe these were nuisances bears in his yard.
I have handled them in stores. From appearance, the seem to be very well made. I do not recall the weight, but definitely not a lightweight. I considered buying one, more than once. But, I am more of a bolt action guy than lever action. I do have a few lever guns. My Marlin 45-70 satisfies my curiosity of the large bore levers for now. Though a 475 Linebaugh or 480 Ruger lever is a definite attraction, if it cycles the longer heavier bullets.
The TC’s seem a good idea to be able to use a variety of cartridges with barrel changes.
I always have to plan a trip 1hr away to go see real guns. Only 1 gun store in my town. And if u go there, u better be looking for camo shotguns, ar15s or pink pistols. Lol

I always have to plan a trip 1hr away to go see real guns. Only 1 gun store in my town. And if u go there, u better be looking for camo shotguns, ar15s or pink pistols. Lol
Lol, Those camo shotguns/ AR’s / pink pistols do appear to be the attractors and/or sellers !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg