500 S&W, 700 grain

ldmay375

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Does anyone actually hunt with the S&W 500 and 700 grain bullets ?
Just curious as to how this bullet performs on game. That is a Lot of lead there.
I have a few to shoot, purely for the novelty. I think, I would be more inline with the 500 grain bullets.
The first two pictures are the 700 grain load with a 325 WSM, 200 grain TSX.

1A6ECC74-6399-40F9-A5CE-E06EC0CC3E66.jpeg
61D41D97-2C22-451B-A4C8-9347B638FDB1.jpeg
902D2B15-E2C2-4C58-9924-1EF63A6AB540.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 4” barrel inclusive of the removable compensator. I have Zero intention of hunting with this revolver.
Though, I do wonder about the performance of the 700 gr vs the 500. I would certainly have to prove lack of crimp jump on any multi-shot firearm.

92FAB594-DBA5-49C8-88D9-5DB546812F5C.png

Last edited by a moderator:
My 4" didn't stabilize the 460gr long flat nose rounds I had bought so I am back at the 440s.

I have some of the 600s to try anyways.

But if the 700 works and it has the velocity and energy, it has a .400 sectional density...
If the twist is right and everything is there to stabilize it, should be a good penetrator.

Would be interesting to see what they could do if pushed hard in a rifle, 1605fps and she bumps the 4,000 ft/lb mark.

Guessing you'd be looking at about 1300fps with something like the 10" S&W revolver which would still be 2627 ft/lbs
1,000fps and it's still at 1554 ft/lbs

The buffalo bore 44mag 340gr +p+ at their advertised velocity is sitting at 1533 ft/lbs.

So the 700, if stabilized correctly shouldn't be an issue, and if pushed hard could be a monster in a rifle, certainly no slouch in the longer barreled handguns that would be more likely to stabilize them.

Hey, for those of you with the S&W 500 revolvers, or most of their revolvers with the 3 hole adjustable rear sights.

Bowen classic arms has rear sights for these that work, I got their shallow V adjustable rear sight, but they do have other shapes and types.

They also sell a front sight "blank," that would allow a gunsmith to make a regulated front sight for it as well, they can shape it and finish it how you wish, standard black blade, drill/install dot, ramp it etc...
I don't have this front, I actually have an xs big dot on right now, and have a .300 SDM gold front bead sight sitting here if this XS big dot is too low.

Point is... there are options, and that Bowen rear sight is a plug and play, you can put it in yourself without issue as long as you can work a screwdriver. You can also switch out the blade yourself, so if you bought the rear square notch and end up wanting to try the shallow V instead, you can just switch out the blade.

I don't work for any of these people, don't prostaff for anyone, don't work in anything resembling this industry even, so this isn't any kind of paid or "get free product" advertisement.

I just know it can be tough to suss out sights for these.

I have a 4” barrel inclusive of the removable compensator. I have Zero intention of hunting with this revolver.
Though, I do wonder about the performance of the 700 gr vs the 500. I would certainly have to prove lack of crimp jump on any multi-shot firearm.

View attachment 393040
Having one of those laying around, it could be mistaken for a fancy red lipstick... :E Rofl:

What a whopper though, it is not even trying to be aerodynamic anymore :E Wow:

My 4" didn't stabilize the 460gr long flat nose rounds I had bought so I am back at the 440s.

I have some of the 600s to try anyways.

But if the 700 works and it has the velocity and energy, it has a .400 sectional density...
If the twist is right and everything is there to stabilize it, should be a good penetrator.

Would be interesting to see what they could do if pushed hard in a rifle, 1605fps and she bumps the 4,000 ft/lb mark.

Guessing you'd be looking at about 1300fps with something like the 10" S&W revolver which would still be 2627 ft/lbs
1,000fps and it's still at 1554 ft/lbs

The buffalo bore 44mag 340gr +p+ at their advertised velocity is sitting at 1533 ft/lbs.

So the 700, if stabilized correctly shouldn't be an issue, and if pushed hard could be a monster in a rifle, certainly no slouch in the longer barreled handguns that would be more likely to stabilize them.
Even though I have one, I am not a true fan of the 500 S&W X-Frame. I do appreciate the power potential of the cartridge. I had always thought the X-Frame was too bulky for me as an outdoor/companion revolver. I still do. I do really like my S&W N-framed revolvers.
For a purely hunting handgun, I would not have an issue with the X-Frame. But, I would want 6”-ish barrel length. I will also clarify, I don’t not hunt with a handgun, other than small game. I do enjoy shooting my revolvers though. And usually carry a .452 or above when outdoors.

I would think this 700 grain would do well in a single shot rifle. Provided it stabilized it, as you stated. The 440 and 500 grain bullets in the revolvers should be very effective. And apparently are from what I read and have been told by those that use the .510 versions. I have fired a few of both through my 500 S&W. All informal plinking.
I am definitely more aligned with single actions revolvers. The 475 Linebaugh and 480 Ruger are my favorite cartridges above .452 diameter.
I would be very tempted to have a Winchester 1885 type in 500 S&W. Though, I am not sure if I have ever seen such.

Even though I have one, I am not a true fan of the 500 S&W X-Frame. I do appreciate the power potential of the cartridge. I had always thought the X-Frame was too bulky for me as an outdoor/companion revolver. I still do. I do really like my S&W N-framed revolvers.
For a purely hunting handgun, I would not have an issue with the X-Frame. But, I would want 6”-ish barrel length. I will also clarify, I don’t not hunt with a handgun, other than small game. I do enjoy shooting my revolvers though. And usually carry a .452 or above when outdoors.

I would think this 700 grain would do well in a single shot rifle. Provided it stabilized it, as you stated. The 440 and 500 grain bullets in the revolvers should be very effective. And apparently are from what I read and have been told by those that use the .510 versions. I have fired a few of both through my 500 S&W. All informal plinking.
I am definitely more aligned with single actions revolvers. The 475 Linebaugh and 480 Ruger are my favorite cartridges above .452 diameter.
I would be very tempted to have a Winchester 1885 type in 500 S&W. Though, I am not sure if I have ever seen such.
T/C encore makes a single shot. I like the big horn armory level action. I thought about getting it for awhile. I was hoping someone gets one and gives an acurate real use review.

I have read of one guy in Alaska that likes his 500 S&W Big Horn lever action. If I recall correctly he has taken a couple of brown bear with it. I believe these were nuisances bears in his yard.
I have handled them in stores. From appearance, the seem to be very well made. I do not recall the weight, but definitely not a lightweight. I considered buying one, more than once. But, I am more of a bolt action guy than lever action. I do have a few lever guns. My Marlin 45-70 satisfies my curiosity of the large bore levers for now. Though a 475 Linebaugh or 480 Ruger lever is a definite attraction, if it cycles the longer heavier bullets.
The TC’s seem a good idea to be able to use a variety of cartridges with barrel changes.

I have read of one guy in Alaska that likes his 500 S&W Big Horn lever action. If I recall correctly he has taken a couple of brown bear with it. I believe these were nuisances bears in his yard.
I have handled them in stores. From appearance, the seem to be very well made. I do not recall the weight, but definitely not a lightweight. I considered buying one, more than once. But, I am more of a bolt action guy than lever action. I do have a few lever guns. My Marlin 45-70 satisfies my curiosity of the large bore levers for now. Though a 475 Linebaugh or 480 Ruger lever is a definite attraction, if it cycles the longer heavier bullets.
The TC’s seem a good idea to be able to use a variety of cartridges with barrel changes.
I always have to plan a trip 1hr away to go see real guns. Only 1 gun store in my town. And if u go there, u better be looking for camo shotguns, ar15s or pink pistols. Lol

I always have to plan a trip 1hr away to go see real guns. Only 1 gun store in my town. And if u go there, u better be looking for camo shotguns, ar15s or pink pistols. Lol
Lol, Those camo shotguns/ AR’s / pink pistols do appear to be the attractors and/or sellers !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois