4th shot a flyer

1. Check receiver screws.
I checked the scope screws, I didn't think to check these. I was able to tighten them both a little.

How to I explain the new scope purchase that is turning up on my CC to my wife...

Well I will get back to the range and check again.
 
Last edited:
I checked the scope screws, I didn't think to check these. I was able to tighten them both a little.

How to I explain the new scope purchase that is turning up on my CC to my wife...

Well I will get back to the range and check again.
Maybe you'll get lucky, but it doesn't sound like the receiver screws were all that loose.

I would dig out any old, but reliable scope that would fit in those rings and take it to the range with me.
 
Hope it is identified! Nothing worse than uncertainty with a hunting rifle. Wacky scope could be blessing in disguise. Replace with reliable scope and go hunting with confidence. I’ve been there a couple times in the last fifty years and for what ever reason the scope is usually last to be scrutinized- a psychological thing I think. No matter, hope it gets sorted by hunting time!
 
The most likely cause is simply barrel heating. If the scope or the mounting system were the problem you would see shots scattered with no consistency.
 
The most likely cause is simply barrel heating. If the scope or the mounting system were the problem you would see shots scattered with no consistency.
That's exactly what happened. Low, high, left right.
 
HI @Pheroze, My Norma suddenly shot very high. The scope came loose.
Barrel sighted it in at 25m. It would shoot hole in hole at that distance. Went up to 100m for re-sighting and the rifle would shoot about 30cm to high and would not group.
Turns out my crown is stuffed. Maybe have a look at that.
Just one more thing to thing of for a possible cause.

I am having my barrel shortened by 15mm. I guess I will know what the outcome is when I get the lady back from the smith
 
HI @Pheroze, My Norma suddenly shot very high. The scope came loose.
Barrel sighted it in at 25m. It would shoot hole in hole at that distance. Went up to 100m for re-sighting and the rifle would shoot about 30cm to high and would not group.
Turns out my crown is stuffed. Maybe have a look at that.
Just one more thing to thing of for a possible cause.

I am having my barrel shortened by 15mm. I guess I will know what the outcome is when I get the lady back from the smith
Eek that would be a disaster! No way would I have time to get it recrowned before I left.
 
I handed my rifle in on Saturday and was done by Monday
I love the work my gunsmith does. But his shop is a black hole - I think he must love my guns because they never come back out!!
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,292
Messages
1,570,793
Members
169,020
Latest member
MosesCvb60
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top