470 Nitro Express Load Development

Aussie_Hunter

AH elite
Joined
Jan 30, 2020
Messages
1,331
Reaction score
4,989
Media
101
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Australia/NZ
2
Loads I have worked up so far in my new to me Merkel 140AE chambered in 470NE. Today I managed to put both barrels into groups well under an inch, couldn't be happier that my double has turned out to be this accurate, photo below of a 0.7 inch group at 40m. My double certainly seems to like the higher velocities which surprises me a bit as it was regulated with Norma ammo which is only advertised at 2100fps. I hope some of you fellow 470NE double shooters find this interesting, I always do as you can just never seem to pick how a load turns out. Again as always be safe and work loads up slowly yourself.

All loads used 500 grain Woodleigh RNSN projectiles, Federal Gold Medal 215M Primers and Bertram brass and all loads tested while shooting sitting down off a set of shooting sticks at 40m.
Load 1
107 grains Alliant RL19, 1966fps, 4-5 inch groups.
Load 2
108 grains Alliant RL19, 2032fps, 3-4 inch groups.
Load 3
109 grains Alliant RL19, 2058fps, 1.4-1.8 inch groups.
Load 4
110 grains Alliant RL19, 2104fps, 1.3-1.5 inch groups.
Load 5
88 grains Alliant RL15, 1.3 grains of open cell foam filler, 2195fps, 2.1-3 inch groups.
Load 6
96 grains Alliant RL17, 0.8 grains of open cell foam filler, 2185fps, 0.5-0.7 inch groups.

IMG_3200.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My go to load is 87gr Reloader 15, 5gr of fill 500 gr Woodliegh, Hornady brass, Federal 215 primer. When I bought my Merkel it was regulated with Federal ammo with close to this basic load. At 50 yards it shoots 3/4 inch apart out of both barrels.
 
Loads I have worked up so far in my new to me Merkel 140AE chambered in 470NE. Today I managed to put both barrels into groups well under an inch, couldn't be happier that my double has turned out to be this accurate, photo below of a 0.7 inch group at 40m. My double certainly seems to like the higher velocities which surprises me a bit as it was regulated with Norma ammo which is only advertised at 2100fps. I hope some of you fellow 470NE double shooters find this interesting, I always do as you can just never seem to pick how a load turns out. Again as always be safe and work loads up slowly yourself.

All loads used 500 grain Woodleigh RNSN projectiles, Federal Gold Medal 215M Primers and Bertram brass and all loads tested while shooting sitting down off a set of shooting sticks at 40m.
Load 1
107 grains Alliant RL19, 1966fps, 4-5 inch groups.
Load 2
108 grains Alliant RL19, 2032fps, 3-4 inch groups.
Load 3
109 grains Alliant RL19, 2058fps, 1.4-1.8 inch groups.
Load 4
110 grains Alliant RL19, 2104fps, 1.3-1.5 inch groups.
Load 5
88 grains Alliant RL15, 1.3 grains of open cell foam filler, 2195fps, 2.1-3 inch groups.
Load 6
96 grains Alliant RL17, 0.8 grains of open cell foam filler, 2185fps, 0.5-0.7 inch groups.

View attachment 403332
Looking good sir
 
My go to load is 87gr Reloader 15, 5gr of fill 500 gr Woodliegh, Hornady brass, Federal 215 primer. When I bought my Merkel it was regulated with Federal ammo with close to this basic load. At 50 yards it shoots 3/4 inch apart out of both barrels.
What velocity are you getting with this load?
 
AH- Can you tell which shot was which? I'm wondering if they had crossed or were running virtually parallel.
 
With the separation noted, those bullet's flight paths would have put them on target out several hundred yards.
Yep I was very surprised with the first group, thought I had flinched and got lucky so shot 2 more groups with the same results. Mind you the target from the factory is pretty damn good as well, only 3.5cm (1.3") apart at 50m.
 
Snake eyes,
great result.

At 2200fps in a reasonably weighted double it should be a very manageable load too, great for that "double-Tap".

When loaded in a .458 Lott at 2280fps i found the 500gn RNSP to expand a little too quickly and penetration was limited when employed on back-up shots at 30yds, or less.
They flattened out like a pancake, but at a more modest speed they should do well.

Good shooting.
 
Snake eyes,
great result.

At 2200fps in a reasonably weighted double it should be a very manageable load too, great for that "double-Tap".

When loaded in a .458 Lott at 2280fps i found the 500gn RNSP to expand a little too quickly and penetration was limited when employed on back-up shots at 30yds, or less.
They flattened out like a pancake, but at a more modest speed they should do well.

Good shooting.
Yeah I'm using them in my Lott as well at 2230fps and I wouldn't say they are over expanding at this velocity but I definitely don't think I would run them at anymore than 2250fps. I agree with you, muzzle velocity of under 2200fps should provide good results.
 
Loads I have worked up so far in my new to me Merkel 140AE chambered in 470NE. Today I managed to put both barrels into groups well under an inch, couldn't be happier that my double has turned out to be this accurate, photo below of a 0.7 inch group at 40m. My double certainly seems to like the higher velocities which surprises me a bit as it was regulated with Norma ammo which is only advertised at 2100fps. I hope some of you fellow 470NE double shooters find this interesting, I always do as you can just never seem to pick how a load turns out. Again as always be safe and work loads up slowly yourself.

All loads used 500 grain Woodleigh RNSN projectiles, Federal Gold Medal 215M Primers and Bertram brass and all loads tested while shooting sitting down off a set of shooting sticks at 40m.
Load 1
107 grains Alliant RL19, 1966fps, 4-5 inch groups.
Load 2
108 grains Alliant RL19, 2032fps, 3-4 inch groups.
Load 3
109 grains Alliant RL19, 2058fps, 1.4-1.8 inch groups.
Load 4
110 grains Alliant RL19, 2104fps, 1.3-1.5 inch groups.
Load 5
88 grains Alliant RL15, 1.3 grains of open cell foam filler, 2195fps, 2.1-3 inch groups.
Load 6
96 grains Alliant RL17, 0.8 grains of open cell foam filler, 2185fps, 0.5-0.7 inch groups.

View attachment 403332
@Aussie hunter
Can't compĺain at that, you've got to love it when a plan comes together.
Bob
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,317
Messages
1,572,803
Members
169,620
Latest member
jun88v4mobi
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top