.460 weatherby

I'd hate to even think of shooting that rifle from the prone positions that the bipod suggest.

Hello dear all big game hunters!!

shall highly appreciate the comments on a Weatherby .460 Weatherby M rifle, would like to gather information on its practical performance in Africa as have just procured this exquisite Mark V deluxe rifle lately.

Regards

Monish
I used a .460 Weather in Tanzania in 1972. I am 6’2” and 225 lbs and I practiced weekly for a year before my first and only safari. What I see about the penetration of this rifle is an understatement. A shot into the shoulder of a Cape buffalo was recovered under the skin in his rump. A shot entering the neck of an elephant (he had his trunk and head raised) exited between the shoulders after shattering the spine.

After this my PH had a bleeding ear and I couldn’t hear anything for two hours afterwards. On previous shots I used ear protection which has its own downside.

A test shot fired into a mvule tree (hardwood) went through 32” and exited.

Despite this performance, I would have used something lighter if I had it to over again.

A few years later my PH visited and we went to the old Weatherby shop in South Gate. Roy Weatherby was there in his office in the back of the shop. He said that they had come up with the .460 mostly for advertising purposes so they could say they had the most powerful rifle. He also said they were surprised at the sales of the .458 Winchester which had come out earlier. He also mentioned the .40 caliber limit that some African countries we’re putting on hunting for thick skinned game.

he said that he considered the .378 more than adequate for anything on this planet and that he had not personally fired a .460 and had no plans to do so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CorrineCar

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.