.458win styer mannlichter to lott

Ryno Botma

AH senior member
Joined
Sep 9, 2014
Messages
84
Reaction score
82
Location
limpopo South Africa
Website
www.kwalata.com
Member of
phasa
Hi I would just like to know has anyone ever heard of a .458 styer win mag converted to a Lott ?

I think it is not possible due to the plastic magazine and not sure how strong the action is

Thanx
 
I carry a 458 wm styer, don't think it would be possible, very different bolt to other rifles. You can get different mag for the rifle.
 
There are steel ones.
 
Hallo Ryno
I own a .458 Mannlicher Schoenauer , in previous discussions knowledgeable members mentioned the Steyr Mannlicher action/magazine is designated for a specific caliber and can not be converted...every rotary magazine spindle is designated for the specific caliber...I think the chances to convert is not that good...I am not knowledgeable in this regards but my opinion is based on similar questions about conversions on Steyer/Mannlicher rifles..

Gert
 
Last edited:
Thanx for the info gert , yes I don't think I am going to go the Lott route with my gun with the quality bullets we get today a win ismore than enough for a stopper , I have used my .378 the last 5 years and it hasn't let me down yet but I got the .458 for free so I'm not going to say no and I like the idee of goining the 500gr club
 
Hallo Ryno
Yes, I concur, Richard Harland used the venerable .458 Mannlicher Schonauer to shoot thousands of elephants, buffalo and plains game in the corridors in Rhodesia..and it never failed to fire once , it killed everything it was pointed/aimed at..so I do not see the need to convert a perfectly working .458 Win Mag caliber rifle into a .458 Win Mag Lott...but this is just my opinion entirely ....and it is not voiced to start a cat fight...(y):D
 
I think the biggest difference /reason why it is really not necessary to even contemplating a conversion from a .458 Win Mag to a Lott is that with today`s brilliant powders and premium bullets no .458 Win Mag rifle will fail to kill an elephant or buffalo or for that matter any dangerous game animal on earth...the only failure in this scenario is the man behind the rifle...this is my opinion entirely...but also a very true fact,,.....(y)(y)(y)
 
Ryno, I think the best route to take is to contact the Steyr company . Maybe they are manufacturing the .458 Steyr Lott caliber since this caliber is extremely popular , not many hunters are buying the .458 Win Mag anymore, they rather purchase the .458 Lot caliber ....(y)
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,275
Messages
1,571,312
Members
169,336
Latest member
JennyKneeb
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top