458 Win Mag reloading

Frogman

New member
Joined
Apr 5, 2019
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi all. I need some help please. I am a Professional hunter and have been given some bullets for my 458 win mag over the years but cannot source reloading data for them so i have joined this groups in the search of some help.

I only have South African Somchem Powder (S321) available and cannot get the correct info from their website or booklet.

I need min and max loads for the following if someone can help me

1. 450gr Swift A Frame.

2. 450gr woodleigh hydro solids.

3. I have also been given a box of 465gr round nose solids. This unique thing with these are that the diameter is .457.

Thank you in advance
 
Welcome. I have found some information for you. Your powder is similar to IMR 4895 and Hodgdon 4895 and close to Norma 401, 402.

First here is a powder burn rate chart listing your Somchem Powder, S321
http://gsgroup.co.za/burnrates.html

Second is reloading data from Norma's website showing loads for the 450gr Swift and loads for a 480gr Woodleigh. Not the same weight as your 450 Woodleigh but use for reference

https://www.norma-ammunition.com/us/Ammunition-Academy/Reloading-Data/458-Winchester-Magnum/

What brand are the 465gr solids? .457" is just .001 undersize. I don't have any 458's to measure so I can't advise.


Good luck
 
Sat down and ran your request through quick load. As per normal reloading practices start 10% below and work your way up to find what is safe in your rifle.
458 WM with a 24in barrel
450 Aframe 75gr of S321, 100% case fill, 2309 FPS velocity, 61896 barrel pressure
450 woodleigh 73gr of S321 101% case fill, 2277 FPS velocity, 59541 barrel pressure
 
Pierre van der Walt's African Dangerous Game Cartridges shows 68.4 Gr. of Somchem S-321 as a minimum and 76.0 Grs as a maximum. Velocity expected is 2211 FPS from a 24" barrel pushing a 450 Gr. bullet. These are published data, others may have data that has been verified by chronograph
 
Not sure what brand of round nose you have but swift a frames .458 caliber bullets are listed at .457 diameter. I questioned that as well.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,325
Messages
1,573,053
Members
169,691
Latest member
lilasemo1982
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top