.458 Win Mag chronograph results

Once you correct to muzzle velocity, an honest 2300fps with a 450gr bullet and no animal on earth will know the difference in a 458Win Mag or Lott. That's a serious stopping rifle producing those numbers.
Easy now .404 wildcatter...
You're going to anger the big bore rifle enthusiasts that call the .458 a medium bore. We'll have to once more endure the gentle push of the behemoth vs. sharp violent recoil of the tiny Lott. Stopping rifles shall start at .505 and above. We don't want to ruffle any feathers. If we start saying that the .458 is a stopping rifle it will not do. :E Lol: :A Outta:

BBM,
I finally got around to reading your report - Congratulations on good loads and good shooting. Now go kill a bunch with it.
As you know, my 1886 45-90 has taken ele, buff, leopard in Afrika and the ele bullets were .458 450 grain solids at 2150 feet per second You do not need a 500 grain bullet at 2200 fps to kill anything.
My little old Winchester 1895 .405 WCF has taken Water buff(300 grain NF) and Cape buff (400 grain Woodie Weldcore)and shot through both, killing both. Those loads will also kill ele as per the 450/400.

This coming Saturday, I am taking my .405 WCF DR out to kill a Gemsbok for meat.

Just decided on my next rifle project -- this 45-70 DR will have the chambers reamed out to 45-90 specs and become a really big boomer.
54676_600x400.jpg

I have a good supply of 45-90 ammo for the big stuff, including 450 grain NF solids and it will not be wasted shooting blocks of wood bundles of wet paoer, etc because we already know that those cartridges shoot through ele heads on frontal brain shots.

Keep up the good work and continue to ignore the negative ninnies that have not come to terms with the ..458 Win Mag.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just decided on my next rifle project -- this 45-70 DR will have the chambers reamed out to 45-90 specs and become a really big boomer.
View attachment 432990
I have a good supply of 45-90 ammo for the big stuff, including 450 grain NF solids and it will not be wasted shooting blocks of wood bundles of wet paoer, etc because we already know that those cartridges shoot through ele heads on frontal brain shots.

Keep up the good work and continue to ignore the negative ninnies that have not come to terms with the ..458 Win Mag.
I love it. How will you re regulate it?

Forrest,
Aaron Little said he would but there is a queue, so, I will just get in line, shoot my other rifles and wait on Aaron.
I may have to wait a year, but there are a lot of hogs and exotics in Texas to keep me busy with other rifles.

There are a few of us with a 404Ruger now too. I'm just saying the wildcat possibilities are endless.View attachment 432983
That is very cool. Sorry I haven't responded. Can't even remember if I posted it here, but my wife passed away October 7th. I've been on auto-pilot since.

Best example is probably always going to be Jack Lott. The Win Mag's failure is why the Lott exsists. Contact the game departments and ask for the data they have on the .458 Win Mag. I didn't make this stuff up just to have a fun argument. My information came from a PH that's now over 70 years old. Quite sure he knows what he is talking about.

With that said, I'd still take a .458 Win Mag if the right one came along. For the same reason you mentioned. Same reason I have a .300 RUM and .300 Win Mag. But those are overkill situations, and as Elmer said, overkill always beats the alternative lol
From what I understand Jack Lott only sought to get an honest and repeatable 2150 with a 500gr bullet.

this is easily accomplished today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graciehayward01

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg