.458 Lott advise

my 458 Lott is a keeper , 50m 450g Peregrine , 4 shots the previous week

image.jpg

I maybe buying my friends BRNO 602 in 458 Lott (and a recoil pad of somekind). I was considering putting something like a EOTech holographic sight on it.... Any thoughts?
Here are pics of the rifle:

View attachment 57094 View attachment 57095 View attachment 57096

***UPDATE*** I bought my friends 458 Lott. Norma brass and Redding dies on the way as well. I already have the 450 Rigby so have I 458 cal bullets. Asking myself again why I need another 458 cal rifle when I already have one? Again it's the emotion vs logic arguement. Emotion says "cool gotta have it".....logic dictates "wtf are you doing?"
Put a bid on a 8x68S at an auction as well. I already have one...............:E Oh Yeah:

Man can not have too many guns!

Larry one of them will give him a heart attack some day!

The bigger problem is mounting. The thing on a BRNO or CZ action is the built in mounts. The built in dovetail is a bit small. I really hate them. If I could change one thing about those guns it would be the mount. It would be nice to be able to choose the rail and rings like normal bolt guns.
I find the integral rail system one of the best features. It has been on Brno rifles since late 40s or early 50s, before the Picatinny standard (though Weaver may have had their rail about the same time 50s?). In any case, it does provide a nice flat receiver top with a bit more meat on the receiver so that modification for other mounts like dovetailing for claw mounts or drilling and tapping ring bases do not weaken the action as much. I like to use Warne QD mounts for scopes or one can even use the CZ rail mounts - both as a single rail or 2 piece mounts (Weaver/Picatinny style top) - that go right in the stock dovetails. The front piece would be nice setup for a red-dot sight. If, however you want to keep the mounts even lower, you want something even simpler. Nothing prevents anyone from drilling and tapping the receiver just like on other rifles but ta least you have nice flat, level surface to put mounts on. Just get flat bottom Picatinny piece, cut to lenght, drill and tap and off you go:
http://www.brownells.com/optics-mou...ifle-bases/picatinny-base-stock-prod1651.aspx
Others would work too, AR 15 risers have flat bottom and different thicknesses:
http://www.brownells.com/optics-mou...lar-flattop-riser-mount-system-prod23115.aspx
And I think these might work too:
http://www.brownells.com/optics-mou...le-bases/picatinny-scope-rails-prod77903.aspx

If you are struggling with eyesight, the red dot might be problematic. Normal aging of the eyes means that our close sight starts to diminish, thus the red dot forms a ghost ring and appears much bigger, making it difficult to see the target. The big advantage of the red dot is that the action is un-obstructed and reloading is much easier than with a scoped rifle, only needed when hunting stuff that tend to bite, claw, trample and gore you, but then normally you shoot open sights anyway. I have a CZ 550 in 458 Lott and have a Nikon Monarch UCC 1.5-6x42 mounted with QD Warne rings and that is more than enough eye relief. you shoot mostly from the standing position, thus make sure your stock is the correct length (length of pull) because a too short stock will force you to be closer to your scope.
Have fun shooting the slightly milder 458!!!

Just purchased a 458 lott ( parker hale 458 win mag rechambered for 458 Lott ) and is my 1st big mag that I am going to the range with soon.
After seeing the you tube videos of people shooting this calibre I am a bit concerned with zeroing the gun/ scope on a bench with sand bags. The lott seems to kick the shoulder back about foot before the round leave the muzzle ? . What kind of groups should I expect at 100-200 yards with a Lott ? I'm used to 1 or 2 inches with the 270 wsm and 06 and have no idea what this gun can or should do.
Another concern is recoil " how bad is it " the biggest gun I have shot so far is 3 1/2 " mag 12 gauge with # 4 turkey load 3 ounce . This shell kicks more then any 12 gauge slug out there and leaves you a bit concussed ( if that a word ). Should I expect more recoil or less recoil from the Lott ?
Expecting to do a safari sometime in the near future so any advice would help.

Thanks
Just purchased a 458 lott ( parker hale 458 win mag rechambered for 458 Lott ) and is my 1st big mag that I am going to the range with soon.
After seeing the you tube videos of people shooting this calibre I am a bit concerned with zeroing the gun/ scope on a bench with sand bags. The lott seems to kick the shoulder back about foot before the round leave the muzzle ? . What kind of groups should I expect at 100-200 yards with a Lott ? I'm used to 1 or 2 inches with the 270 wsm and 06 and have no idea what this gun can or should do.
Another concern is recoil " how bad is it " the biggest gun I have shot so far is 3 1/2 " mag 12 gauge with # 4 turkey load 3 ounce . This shell kicks more then any 12 gauge slug out there and leaves you a bit concussed ( if that a word ). Should I expect more recoil or less recoil from the Lott ?
Expecting to do a safari sometime in the near future so any advice would help.

Thanks

Rob,
I'm fairly new to the big bore myself. Mine is a CZ550 Safari Magnum in .458 Win Mag. My first mistake was shooting it from a bench. Ten rounds was all I could take. I was ready to trade the damn thing but I had done fell in love with it. So I started shooting it from a tripod while standing with better results. One basic rule of all rifle shooting is to hold the rifle tight against your shoulder .......this cannot be stressed enough with the big magnums. If you do this right you will not need any pad other than what's on the stock from the factory. After getting use to the factory express sights I've found them to be the best. Just recently I tried a Leupold 1x6x24 fire dot with Talley QD mounts. The rifle recoiled back and the Scope bumped me between the eyes just enough to bleed. My express sights don't do that. I think I will stick with them. I hope some of this greenhorn experience helps my friend.

I have a scope on my CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery. I use steel Talley QR mounts, they work great as I practice with both scope and iron sights. I hear the Nikon scopes handle recoil really well and have 5" of eye relief (a good thing). I highly recommend a slip on Limbsaver pad over your recoil pad for bench shooting. Take it off for offhand and shooting off sticks, etc. It just takes a little getting used to, you'll be fine.

I have shot my rifle from the hood of my Toyota Tacoma using a shooting bag and set trigger with great results at 60 yards. It's the best bench I've found . I will look into those scopes. I wish this Leupold had more eye relief because I really like that fire dot.

Start shooting with 458 win mag rounds loaded at 45/70 level and work your way up . You can fire 458 win rounds in a lott chambered rifle.

Something I read about recently, I gave a try to yesterday at the range. As usual I used my shooting hand to pull the gun firmly into my shoulder but with my non-shooting hand I kind of pulled the gun away from me at the same time. This doesn't exactly make sense if you've not done it before but if you give it a try a few times dry firing, you'll get it. I was quite impressed with the results and the rifle felt about like a .270 or maybe even less.
Interesting , i'll give that a go next time i take the jeffery out.

Rob, I assume you are in Canada?

I recently acquired a new Ruger Model 77 .458 Lott and fired it for the first time this weekend. I had a little trouble getting the scope on paper, so I ended up firing a half box before I was done (Hornady DGS). I use a Lead Sled, and I highly recommend that as it really does make a big difference. I too was a bit apprehensive before the first shot, but after touching it off (your shooting technique sounds perfect), it wasn't anything I couldn't handle. I do have a scope on mine (Leupold), but I've got the best of both worlds as I mounted it in Warne Quick Detach bases and rings, so I will be able to take it off and use the iron sights if the Cape Buffalo needs a follow up in the thick stuff.
Hi Ontario,

Similar story here. Have a 550 in .458 Lott, and was concerned about using a scope. Called Leupold, and the rep assured me that their entire line, no matter the price point, is designed and made to “withstand the heaviest recoil they’ll ever see.” He didn’t specify beyond that (Lott, Gibbs, whatever) but it did make a decision easy for me…. If a Leupold is guaranteed to hold up, why risk a pricier Unobtainium piece?

Once the Midwest weather gets warmer, I’ll give it a go.

Best.

Just a few points of interest from my experience.... I have a 602, 9 1/2 lbs with scope. I had a few issues getting it set up properly, including split stock, twisted rings, and scope power ring freezing. But since these things were rectified I have shot thousands of rounds without any further issues.
Mount the scope well forward so that you’re reaching a bit to get the full field of view.
Sighting in over a car roof with front sandbag only is the most ‘pleasant’ method I’ve found.
I don’t mind prone because you have your entire body behind the butt to soak up recoil and the scope won’t get to you so easily.
The 458 Lott is accurate- I use the 400gr Woodleigh PP @ 2590 FPS for smaller than buff size game, eg, pigs, horses, donkeys, and dogs...and it shoots sufficiently flat to take stuff to 200yds and a bit beyond, even rabbits and other varmints.
For big stuff I like prefer the Woodleigh 550gr round nose @ 2160 FPS- it penetrates further than 500gr bullets of the same type, and I’ve tried several brands.
Enjoy it, it’s an awesome round!

Rob,
I'm fairly new to the big bore myself. Mine is a CZ550 Safari Magnum in .458 Win Mag. My first mistake was shooting it from a bench. Ten rounds was all I could take. I was ready to trade the damn thing but I had done fell in love with it. So I started shooting it from a tripod while standing with better results. One basic rule of all rifle shooting is to hold the rifle tight against your shoulder .......this cannot be stressed enough with the big magnums. If you do this right you will not need any pad other than what's on the stock from the factory. After getting use to the factory express sights I've found them to be the best. Just recently I tried a Leupold 1x6x24 fire dot with Talley QD mounts. The rifle recoiled back and the Scope bumped me between the eyes just enough to bleed. My express sights don't do that. I think I will stick with them. I hope some of this greenhorn experience helps my friend.
you need to adjust the scope for the correct eye relief along with lighter bullets like the 404 Shock Hammer bullet from Hammer Bullets as it will do all you will want and the recoil at 2450fps is much than the 500 gr. and you can shoot it from the bench with your scope. how do I know this? because I shoot one CZ550 .458 win mag +p

I have over 400 full power loads through my 500 Jeffery. I have a Leupold 1.5-5x in Talley steel QR rings on my CZ 550. No issues. Great combination

Thanks for the revival of this thread. It's always good to hear folks excited about on of my favorite calibers. Didn't get a shot with mine this year. I chickened out and hunted the .375 instead. I miss not having it in the field even if it's way over powered for the hunt.

Just a few points of interest from my experience.... I have a 602, 9 1/2 lbs with scope. I had a few issues getting it set up properly, including split stock, twisted rings, and scope power ring freezing. But since these things were rectified I have shot thousands of rounds without any further issues.
Mount the scope well forward so that you’re reaching a bit to get the full field of view.
Sighting in over a car roof with front sandbag only is the most ‘pleasant’ method I’ve found.
I don’t mind prone because you have your entire body behind the butt to soak up recoil and the scope won’t get to you so easily.
The 458 Lott is accurate- I use the 400gr Woodleigh PP @ 2590 FPS for smaller than buff size game, eg, pigs, horses, donkeys, and dogs...and it shoots sufficiently flat to take stuff to 200yds and a bit beyond, even rabbits and other varmints.
For big stuff I like prefer the Woodleigh 550gr round nose @ 2160 FPS- it penetrates further than 500gr bullets of the same type, and I’ve tried several brands.
Enjoy it, it’s an awesome round!
Mate do you happen to have the page of the woodie bible for the 550grn pill?? Im thinking about getting a lott and was wondering about the 550 grain bullet and loads for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg