450 Rigby vs 460 Weatherby

I don't have any doubt that the 460 Weatherby is hell on wheels, but I have no desire for one. I own a very used Mark V in 270 Weatherby and a Rem XCR II (7.5 lbs with scope unloaded) rechambered to 375 Weatherby. It's just my opinion if you're going to have to handle that much recoil, you're better off with a 500 Jeffery or 505 Gibbs in a nice Mauser type CRF rifle without the exaggerated Monte Carlo stock. I have nothing against Weatherby rifles or calibers, as I mentioned I have two.

My 450 Rigby weighs in at 10.5 lbs with 2 Mercury Reducers.. It will tip well over 11 when it's loaded.. The CZ Slicker made a well balanced Rifle.. Heavy but Balanced..

My gunsmith will love the idea to built a 450 Rigby...

The twist will be 14", but which barrel length would you recommend?
24" or better 26" (not to waste any energy :cool: )?

My gunsmith will love the idea to built a 450 Rigby...

The twist will be 14", but which barrel length would you recommend?
24" or better 26" (not to waste any energy :cool: )?
I'd go with a 22" barrel. I believe you'll get the velocity you want and maintain portability. My AHR CZ550 has a 22" barrel without the brake, 23.5" barrel with the brake. I personally wouldn't want the barrel any longer. You'll not find yourself needing the velocities obtainable with a longer barrel in this cartridge. You can push a 500gr Swift A-Frame to 2350 to 2400 fps or a 550gr SP at 2275 fps plus with a hefty charge of H-4350 in a 22" barrel. I'm sure if you push it you could get another 100 fps as it has the capacity. There's really no need to go faster. You don't attain much at the higher velocities....except some very obnoxious recoil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldpatnners

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,