AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Lowveld Hunters, BASA
Hunted
South Africa
Good Day Gents!

We have always been forced to use Somchem powders in South Africa, but with things going a bit south on their side we have also been fortunate to be able to access some international powders.

I recently acquired a 450 Rigby and have messed around a bit with 480gr Hornady DGX for the range and also some 550gr Woodleighs to get people's attention with :D

All of this with loads of Somchem S365 between 101gr and 105gr (Somchem S365 is similar to N550, H4350 etc)

I also purchased some Sako factory ammo loaded with the 450gr Swift A-frame doing average 2350fps+ out of my 22" barrel.

What I noticed is in comparison to my 480gr DGX loads doing 2220fps (still working up my courage :D ) is that the Sako ammo recoils substantially less than my reloads albeit that the Sako ammo has a significantly higher energy level.

Can anyone explain this or give advice on which of the international powders are more efficient in the 450 Rigby with 500gr bullets?

We have access to:
Vihtavuori
Norma
Reloder (Still scarce)
Hodgon
IMR
Lovex

Your assistance will be greatly appreciated!

I have heard good things about Reloder 15 and recoil mitigation, I do however not have any load info to work with.

Don't know if any of the following links may be helpful...

Thank you! Maybe someone has a newer perspective.

Anyone?

According to Quickload, N550, Norma 204 and RL15 all seem like options?

The RL 15 I loads in my 458 Lott seem to have a bit less recoil than nosler factory rounds shooting the same weight bullet at close to the same speeds. Is there any info on RL17 in the 450 Rigby? A Swiss powder vs the swedish RL15 I believe.

My 416 Rigby seems to like 4831, it fills the case quite nicely, not sure but it may be an option with the 450 as well.

i used to load the 450 nitro 3 1/4 with 4831 to regulate in a double at factory type speed.
this might suggest 4350 or 4831 would also suit the 450 rigby at lower pressures tha re15,
bruce.

Thank you Gentlemen.

It's a whole new world of exploring with all the new options for us.

Running a GRT simulation with RL15 ended up looking quite impressive, but so did it with N550.

Seems like the slower powders i.e. N560 might be a tad on the slow side, I would also have thought powders doing well in the 416 will work in the 450, but doesn't appear to be a fixed rule.

I’m watching this thread as I’d like to get a 450Rigby built up soon.
Let us know how you get on with the 550gr, I’m guessing they would be a great combination as a stopping/backup rifle at 2,150-2,200fps.

Hi Pete, with the 550gr Woodleigh Softs and 104gr of S365 they clocked 2230fps out of my 22" barrel.

Quite lively from a 9lb rifle!

Thank you Gentlemen.

It's a whole new world of exploring with all the new options for us.

Running a GRT simulation with RL15 ended up looking quite impressive, but so did it with N550.

Seems like the slower powders i.e. N560 might be a tad on the slow side, I would also have thought powders doing well in the 416 will work in the 450, but doesn't appear to be a fixed rule.
I have good results with S365 in my 416Rigby, not sure what I will move to when my supply runs out.
It would be nice if the 416 and 450 would achieve good results on the same powder.

Hi Pete, with the 550gr Woodleigh Softs and 104gr of S365 they clocked 2230fps out of my 22" barrel.

Quite lively from a 9lb rifle!
That’s a good number! I can imagine it being lively, but a lighter carry rifle will always have that trade off unfortunately

I shoot it in my 404 Jeffery and very happy. Only on about 4 tins left now. Going to be giving the N550 a bash and see how it goes.

I would just really like to be able to figure out the science behind the Sako ammo and the much lighter recoil at a higher energy level.

I shoot at BASA as much as I can, and ranging from 16 to 20 shots a day I have had to add some weight now. Rifle now at 10lb, but sucks to carry it now :giggle:

I shoot it in my 404 Jeffery and very happy. Only on about 4 tins left now. Going to be giving the N550 a bash and see how it goes.

I would just really like to be able to figure out the science behind the Sako ammo and the much lighter recoil at a higher energy level.

I shoot at BASA as much as I can, and ranging from 16 to 20 shots a day I have had to add some weight now. Rifle now at 10lb, but sucks to carry it now :giggle:

keep the results coming on the loads.
16-20 shots a day, piece of cake!! Suck it up :ROFLMAO:

Hahahahaha I have been doing so!

Will keep you posted!

I have that little problem of being very firmly planted on the ground, so I have zero flex and absorb it all!!!! :LOL:

Bringing this thread back to life.

Anyone discovered the magic powder for the 450 yet?

I dont have the 450 Rigby but have the 416. I find AR2209 (Hodgdon 4350) to be the best of the AR powders. Good velocity for way less felt recoil than the AR2213sc (H4831sc) for similar velocity. If you can get the Hodgdon 4350 I would try that. Woodleigh Manual list starting load of H4350 ; 103 grains for the 500grain bullet for 2280fps muzzle velocity and max of 109 grains for 2410fp MV

I have switched from using 4350 in the 450 rigby to 4895 powder. I can use a smaller charge for the same velocity, that also translates to lower recoil. If you PM me I can send you some loads I have used running over 2350fps with varios 500 gr bullets.
Best of luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SheliaBelc

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross