450-400 vs 375 (and then flanged or belted) and new or used?

Well, if not .. "I have a pristine 500 Jeffery For Sale"! Currently being used for decoration ;
R.jpg

All that said, plenty on these forums as well as gunwriters argue to an obvious improvement in terminal ballistics on game. somebody please argue with me that the 450/400 is clearly superior so I won’t feel bad about picking up a used one of those as my first double over ordering a 375fl.

well, as usual, i am pretty late to this party! that said, here is my 2 cents. i own a 450-400, zoli, in o/u configuration. it shoots amazingly well with a scope 1-6 trijicon. as someone posted earlier, will likely be the last gun to sell (probably never sell). it shoots both barrels within 1-1.25" of each other at 100 yards.

there have been lots of comments from fellows on this forum with waaaay more experience in africa than i. (redleg, rook hawk,and ivw to name a few) but mine has gone to africa and killed a buffalo (wrote a short article on here about it) but mostly has shot moose in alaska. (i did shoot a 375 h&h o/u double and killed a medium sized caribou bull at 214 yards)

each rifle is different, but i feel comfortable shooting to over 200 yards with it at any n.a. big game, from deer on up. i killed a big bull moose at 225 yards, dropped right there. so... where i was going with all these qualifiers, the 450-400, if an accurate one will shoot plains game to as far as most of your shooting will be needed. most state that 200 yards is a pretty long shot in africa, and that has been my general experience as well. my 450-400 could do that (and did) easily. i shot a blue wildebeest at 190 yards, one shot, off sticks.

the 375 is arguably the most versatile caliber that ever was, so i wont tell you that it cannot do what you want done. the 450-400 is also a very versatile caliber, with distance limitations that are probably 50-70 yards less (in the real world). 375 bullets will cost less, the flanged ammo will likely cost the same or more as the 450, if you can find it.

either is a fine choice, i am happy with my rifle and would not trade it for a bigger, smaller or better one! good luck on your decision

... Did you try a four shot LxR/LxR at 100 to see what a combined group looks like? I bet you have minute of wildebeest to at least 150 - probably 200 for an instant follow-up.

Here it is at 100 yards. Now, this was from a bench at 10X magnification so I expect it to open up some when shooting from sticks. Center of the bull is left barrels and the others are right barrels. I did not wait a lot between the two barrels, just long enough to aim. Seems to be a 1" LxR group at worst. I am impressed with the accuracy of the Heym 9.3x74R with factory Hornady ammo.

1626218950733.png

Here it is at 100 yards. Now, this was from a bench at 10X magnification so I expect it to open up some when shooting from sticks. Center of the bull is left barrels and the others are right barrels. I did not wait a lot between the two barrels, just long enough to aim. Seems to be a 1" LxR group at worst. I am impressed with the accuracy of the Heym 9.3x74R with factory Hornady ammo.

View attachment 412559
You should be! Why are you bringing a second rifle?

You should be! Why are you bringing a second rifle?
Elephant and cape buffalo. That is what the Heym 88B .500 NE for.

I had to sight it in again for the Trijicon today from sticks. It seems it holding zero when you remove it and put it back is a myth as far as double rifles are concerned. Probably due to lack of being real precise on placement in the groove that is cut in the rib. I had a great 1" LxR group at 60 yards, but it was 5 inches up and 3 inches to the left. Now, it is on the money. I guess I will not remove it again from the barrel anymore. Switching to a Pelican 1700 because of it as my double rifle case requires the sights to be removed in order to fit.

View attachment 412559
Wow. Impressive

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomasS111

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!