AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Cameroon, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Namibia.
I know the subject of recoil is discussed at nauseam on here, but I cannot seem to find the answer I am looking for. After shoulder replacement surgery years ago, and 2 subsequent shoulder surgeries, I tend to be a bit more recoil sensitive. I currently have a Kimber Talkeetna, .375H&H, after shortening the barrel and having the barrel tapered, with scope, it weighs 7 lbs 12 oz. At my range I put on a muzzle brake and a limbsaver recoil pad, and it is actually not bad to shoot. When I hunt I take those 2 items off and I manage along just ok, I do get some neck pain. I am considering purchasing a double rifle in 450-400, 3", I see the ones I was looking at weigh 9 lbs 6 oz, can anyone give me an honest opinion of how much more recoil this double would have over my lightweight 375H&H? I shoot 300 grain Barnes ammo in my 375H&H. Thank you all for your help!!!

I think with the extra 1.5 pounds it would be negligible. Also, you could add an 8 or 16 oz Mercury recoil reducer and reduce the recoil even more.

That being said, the biggest factor in recoil impact is technique. Let recoil happen and just ride the recoil, let recoil energy go up and not back into your shoulder as much. I just posted a video of that in this thread on post 17.

Last edited:
"Let recoil happen and just ride the recoil let recoil energy go up and not back in to your shoulder as much."
This fundamental technique is what allows me to shoot heavy .458 African loads with a concave metal butt plate. The rifle rises up , absorbs the recoil, and comes back down on target. A simple trick that has allowed folks to shoot heavy loads without a cushioned recoil pad for decades, if not centuries.

I think with the extra 1.5 pounds it would be negligible. Also, you could add an 8 or 16 oz Mercury recoil reducer and reduce the recoil even more.

That being said, the biggest factor in recoil impact is technique. Let recoil happen and just ride the recoil, let recoil energy go up and not back into your shoulder as much. I just posted a video of that in this thread on post 17.

Tanks, that video is very helpful, thank you very much for pointing this out to me!!

"Let recoil happen and just ride the recoil let recoil energy go up and not back in to your shoulder as much."
This fundamental technique is what allows me to shoot heavy .458 African loads with a concave metal butt plate. The rifle rises up , absorbs the recoil, and comes back down on target. A simple trick that has allowed folks to shoot heavy loads without a cushioned recoil pad for decades, if not centuries.

Thank you for your insight, I appreciate it!!

A 450/400 double vs light weight 375 recoil will be a wash. As long as both fit you correctly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PWA703

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.