450/400 3"

I LOVE that caliber. I took a Cape buffalo in 2022 with my Jeffery 450/400. He went down like a boulder with one shot in the neck. Bullet placement is still everything. Two days later, I used it on a lion that absorbed 5 rounds before he finally gave out.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1520.PNG
    IMG_1520.PNG
    6.8 MB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0817.JPG
    IMG_0817.JPG
    979.7 KB · Views: 134
Like Kevin, I also have a Heym 89B 450/400; purchased and used on my first safari in 2018. I shot 4 cape buffalo with it. Since then I have used it on 3 elephants, a rhino, giraffe, zebra, camels, donkeys, water buffalo, banteng, more cape buffalo, and about a half dozen sharks (don't ask)

Your game room must be as epic as your taxidermy bill. :cool:
 
450-400 is a great caliber and similar to the 400 Jeffery so that makes perfect buffalo medicine.

HH: Perhaps you had a typographical error and meant ".404 Jeffery."

The 400 Jeffery is just another name for the .450/400 Nitro Express 3". The firm of W.J. Jeffery & Co referred to it as "Jeffery's 400 bore" in their catalogs, but it seems that it was the .450/400 NE 3" everywhere else. About 15 years later (the records aren't quite clear) Jeffery introduced the .404 Rimless Nitro Express (a.k.a. "404 Jeffery") to provide similar ballistics in a cartridge suitable for use in a bolt-action magazine rifle.

As regards its suitability for dangerous game, well .......... far be it for me to argue with C. Larsen Esq., a man who has "shot 52 Elephants, 6 Rhinos, and many other game" with the cartridge. :cool:

This is from their 1905 catalog:
Jefferys 400 bore.jpg
 
Last edited:
I LOVE that caliber. I took a Cape buffalo in 2022 with my Jeffery 450/400. He went down like a boulder with one shot in the neck. Bullet placement is still everything. Two days later, I used it on a lion that absorbed 5 rounds before he finally gave out.
Ive gotta say (in a completely hetrosexual manner) that you, sir, have a movie star safari hunter mug!
 
HH: Perhaps you had a typographical error and meant ".404 Jeffery."

The 400 Jeffery is just another name for the .450/400 Nitro Express 3". The firm of W.J. Jeffery & Co referred to it as "Jeffery's 400 bore" in their catalogs, but it seems that it was the .450/400 NE 3" everywhere else. About 15 years later (the records aren't quite clear) Jeffery introduced the .404 Rimless Nitro Express (a.k.a. "404 Jeffery") to provide similar ballistics in a cartridge suitable for use in a bolt-action magazine rifle.

As regards its suitability for dangerous game, well .......... far be it for me to argue with C. Larsen Esq., a man who has "shot 52 Elephants, 6 Rhinos, and many other game" with the cartridge. :cool:

This is from their 1905 catalog:
View attachment 684039
Absolutely…Meant the 404 Jeff just fat fingers on the keyboard.

HH
 
Okay I'm thinking about buying a double rifle maybe 450 / 400 3" inch. I have Watch the videos of cape buffalo shot with this caliber. Before I buy I thought maybe some of the members could share their experience with shooting Cape buffalo with this particular caliber.
I am scheduled to hunt cape buffalo in April 2027.
Thanks in advance!
I have killed 4 buffalo. I love the 40s so have used the 450-400 3" in a Ruger #1, a mauser bolt action in 404 jeffery, and last year with a double rifle in 450-400 3-1/4" nitro. Both of the 450-400 Buffalo were 1 shot kills as was the first one with a 375 Ackley. The one with the 404 ended with some drama but it wasn't the fault of the rifle or cartridge. The 450-400 in either iteration is a great caliber for Buffalo and I can almost guarantee your PH will be pleased that you have it. Good also for Hippo and on the light side for Elephant but I'm sure would work up close on brain shots.
Note that the Hornady ammo that I used with the Ruger I found to be a bit anemic. It chronographed at only a bit over 2,000 fps. That was quite awhile ago (8 years) but if you plan to use it you might check. With those loads recoil was definitely mild. I handload for the double in the 3-1/4" version and it regulates at about 2,150 fps and there is a significant increase in recoil even though the rifle is heavier.
Great choice, go and have fun with it!!!
What area will you be hunting?
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,401
Messages
1,575,121
Members
170,223
Latest member
Molly91615
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top