416 Ruger range results

Head Trauma

AH member
Joined
Sep 18, 2009
Messages
33
Reaction score
53
Media
20
Member of
SCI
DZUyI0b.jpg


This is a really long bullet, at this COL the
bullet projects about 0.73" into the case and
really eats up a lot case capacity. In this configuration the base of the bullet just barely
touches the top of the powder column.

3UCpqKx.jpg


H335 has proven to be an excellent powder for the 416 Ruger.
 

Attachments

  • DZUyI0b.jpg
    DZUyI0b.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 258
  • 3UCpqKx.jpg
    3UCpqKx.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 287
Last edited by a moderator:
I took the buff in my avatar with a .416 Ruger. Love the cartridge. I need to try the CEB / H335 combo.
 
Why are you shooting stick figures [emoji23]
CEB and a buff lung I believe. Dont know the particulars but they have been put through the paces and will be my choice next year.
Screenshot_20180609-181924.jpeg
 
I loaded a similar load with Alliant Power Pro 2000MP. I believe I used 78 grains. As it is a dense powder, I was able to seat a barnes 400 grain solid down to the first cannelure and I still have air space because the powder shakes around in there. You're right though, those 400 grain turned brass solids look like AAA batteries they are so long. I was getting about 2,300 from my Ruger Hawkeye African which has a 22.5" barrel (I sawed the threads off and recrowned. I really like the rifle and have taken black bear and deer with it. If you want a flat shooting load, look at the woodleigh 340 grain PP. The .416 Ruger can push it out the muzzle at 2,550 and recoil is comparatively mild.

How did those CEBs feed in your rifle (you didn't mention a rifle make model)? I just know my M77 African just barely fed those FN Barnes brass solids becaus I would take the corner off one every now and then when I fed it into the chamber from the magazine.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,269
Messages
1,571,091
Members
169,254
Latest member
Leticia301
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt Meister
480-410-1594
azklmsr462@gmail.com

have a great evening
autofire wrote on ThinAirHunter's profile.
I think forum prohibits making reference or giving personal references to PH/Outfitters that don't advertise on this forum.

But you can call me. I would be happy to discuss Cape Buffalo .

Bob 813-310-6992
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
 
Top