416 rigby cast plain base loads

AHughes

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Ducks unlimited
Hello, I have recently loaded up some pb 416 350g cast I poured up and , I tried a load of 45g imr 4198 shot well no leading and pretty soft on the shoulder and wallet

I had read of another trying this load around 1750fps but those I believe were gas check loads, I hope to get a chrono soon but does anyone else have any other input on a load similar I'm just trying to get a good idea of how fast they are running and if that fps listed was pretty close thanks for the help
Anthony

I’m surprised this hasn’t generated more interest. Must not be too many guys casting on here.
I ended up getting a GC recipe too and run that one more here lately but I do like playing with those loads I was surprised too as I figured more had treaded these waters and maybe they have but the post didn't reach them .... Thanks for bringing it back to life !

I shoot plenty of cast in my rifles. There's a company in Montana that I use for my hard cast, heat treated, gas checked bullets.
Calibers: 500bpe double, 375 Ruger, 11mm double, and and just received some for my newest rifle, 450 Bushmaster

The late, great, Frank Barnes wrote glowingly about the .416 Rigby’s potential for hand loading and cast options.

I shoot a lot of cast bullets, especially .35 and .45 caliber but, have no experience with .416. Back when I could climb the Rockies, I used a .45/70 to take some elk. My load of preference was a pure lead 510 grain paper patched bullet pushed with enough IMR-3031 to give it a muzzle velocity of 1650 fps. The picture shows the bullet, patched bullet, loaded cartridge, and two expanded bullets I retrieved from elk.

cLLHkoOl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I cast mine out of wheel weights mostly and I cast for .35 rem and .45-70 a bunch I was looking for others findings on the .416 Rigby on speeds since I didn't have a Chrono and was limited to what I could find on plain base loadings, I was able to get my hands on gas checks finally and a noe gc mold and it's definitely a fun cartridge to load for

If you have a copy of Cartridges of the World, he wrote it.

If you DO NOT have a copy of Cartridges of the World, it’s a must-have.

I shoot plenty of cast in my rifles. There's a company in Montana that I use for my hard cast, heat treated, gas checked bullets.
Calibers: 500bpe double, 375 Ruger, 11mm double, and and just received some for my newest rifle, 450 Bushmaster
What’s the company please?

I shoot a lot of cast bullets, especially .35 and .45 caliber but, have no experience with .416. Back when I could climb the Rockies, I used a .45/70 to take some elk. My load of preference was a pure lead 510 grain paper patched bullet pushed with enough IMR-3031 to give it a muzzle velocity of 1650 fps. The picture shows the bullet, patched bullet, loaded cartridge, and two expanded bullets I retrieved from elk.

View attachment 513561
The beauty of the paper jacket is that one can boost velocities without leading. I am playing with paper patch 450 grain bullets in the Rigby..... I plan to push it into the 2100 fps range. The bullet needs to be hard cast. I have gotten to 2300 fps with my 470 nitro and 500 grain bullet.... no leading with hard cast. in this case standard lube and also paper patch... the double regulates at 2050. I am looking to try 350 gr. in 375, the 450 in the 416 and already cranking with 500s in the 458.

Interesting stuff. I have some 300 gr .430 bullets I’m going to resize down to .423-424 to try with Unique, RS14 (Reload Swiss powder similar to Trail Boss) or maybe Lovex DO36 (Accurate 5744 clone)

If one is to use cast bullets .001" over the groove diameter (.417 for a .416 caliber) is there any issue with seating the bullets into their cases? I've never loaded lead/cast so just asking.

If one is to use cast bullets .001" over the groove diameter (.417 for a .416 caliber) is there any issue with seating the bullets into their cases? I've never loaded lead/cast so just asking.
Usually 0.001 to 0.002 over.... Nice thing is that the barrel can swage down no problem.... I go 0.002. With paper patch, the paper can be a little springy. With soft left the pressure can obturate the bullet but with slower powders a tighter fit helps. With the cost of ammo.... shooting cast is a good deal. I was going to use the rigby with paper patch on plains game. In another life.... I might give a buff the hammer with one...but....

The larger the bore, the more tolerant of cast lead. As I noted.... major velocities with the 470 nitro. Using 72 grains Varget with 1" open cell backer rod wad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SVCBoyd46

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg