416 Rigby and filler

1peggy

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Spain, Germany, Zimbabwe, Zambia
Does anyone use a filler in 416 Rigby. I started working with H4350 and seem to have a lot of empty space in the case. Thanks in advance. Mike

Does the book suggest using a filler? How full is the case?

I've cut Kynoch wads down and used filler in a lot of calibers with no problems at all, it just burns up , and best to keep the powder column squared up within the case for consistent ignition. That being said I've shot a 416 rigby a lot and never felt the need.....take some pics if you can of a charged case without the projectile and let us have a look

Swift book says its at 84%. Cannot find any filler use in my books. Thanks

Once you burn up all of your stash of cordite the best option is a generous dose of something slower burning than H4350 to get a better "fill" with that case.

I believe you’ll be ok at 84% without any filler. See what kind of grouping you get.

You can try firing a few groups normally (or tipping mizzle down first), then fire a few by tipping muzzle vertical and lowering gently onto shooting bag for each shot. That should insure powder against flash hole consistently. See if there is a difference in group size. May even show a difference in velocity if you need filler.

I use H4350 in my 416 Rigby and have shot it quite a bit. Did chrony work early on and vel spread was ok. Never used fillers and I load to app.2375fps. on the ave with 400 gr bullets.

I emailed the staff at Shooters World powder asking about .416 load data (none available on their site) and they informed me that their 4350 was “the slowest burning of any commercially produced 4350 powder”. They recommended beginning with starting charges for any published 4350 data and work up, checking for pressure signs.
If you’re not satisfied with how Hodgdon fills the case you might consider SW4350.

I never used a filler but I'm using imr 7828 or 4831 and I'm shooting dead nutz accurate

I do use filler, a product call Puff-Lon. I'm sitting at my loading bench loading 500 grain RN's in .458 WM using 56.0 grains of H4895 and then topping the case to the base of the bullet seating with Puff-Lon. Hodgdon has the 60% formula for reduced loads with H4895, but I have tested H4895 loads with and without filler and found better consistency with filler. It is cheap and easy to do, so why not. If there is extra space in a case, I am inclined to use filler to retain a consistent shape of the powder column... I'd far rather use filler than having to do a salsa dance with my rifle before every shot.

I do use filler, a product call Puff-Lon. I'm sitting at my loading bench loading 500 grain RN's in .458 WM using 56.0 grains of H4895 and then topping the case to the base of the bullet seating with Puff-Lon. Hodgdon has the 60% formula for reduced loads with H4895, but I have tested H4895 loads with and without filler and found better consistency with filler. It is cheap and easy to do, so why not. If there is extra space in a case, I am inclined to use filler to retain a consistent shape of the powder column... I'd far rather use filler than having to do a salsa dance with my rifle before every shot.
I have used PuffLon as well in 416 Rigby and 500 Jeffery reduced loads. Clean burning, and insures some consistency, as tested by an engineer on another site who has done extensive work on big bore loads. It’s like adding insurance to your load, just not as expensive as home, car health insurance.
No downside.

I have used PuffLon as well in 416 Rigby and 500 Jeffery reduced loads. Clean burning, and insures some consistency, as tested by an engineer on another site who has done extensive work on big bore loads. It’s like adding insurance to your load, just not as expensive as home, car health insurance.
No downside.
Agree... my black bear over bait load is 56.0 grains H4895 with 500 grain RN's topped with Puff-Lon for 1750 fps... gives 3400 ft/lb energy and does a great job on bears, completely pass through with very little damage to meat and hides. My full "back up" load in .458 WM is 75 grains H335 with the 500 RN @ 2100 fps... absolutely flattens bears.

Once you burn up all of your stash of cordite the best option is a generous dose of something slower burning than H4350 to get a better "fill" with that case.
Be careful of this. I use AR2209 (H4350) in my 416 Rigby and have never had a problem. SD is good and 3 into under an inch at 100Mts. Don't know why you would want to change things.

The Slower powders require more of it and they boot the shoulder a lot harder then the AR2209.

You can of course use way more AR2209 and take the Rigby just about to 416 Weatherby if you want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LavadaMacG

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.