416 Remington

Dr Ray

AH legend
Joined
Apr 1, 2017
Messages
4,298
Reaction score
6,534
Location
Cairns, Australia
Media
53
Articles
5
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
7
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association of Australia + CRM Gunsports (Cairns)
Ron and I went target shooting. Ron is inexperienced and I helped him load up his 308 cartridges.
Well he shot very good groups and even with the maximum powder loads.
I let him shoot my 300 Winchester magnum. He didn’t like the recoil much but anyway I really wanted to check the print pattern.
The 150 grain bullets printed an inch lower than the 180 grain bullets (same east -west).
I borrowed a lead sled to see where my hand loads were shooting in my 416 Remington magnum.
I have the rifle sighted in with Swift A-Frames (factory rounds).
Now I checked where my Woodleigh 400grain hydros with a max powder loads printed.
I could hardly believe it but they printed exactly where the A-Frames did.
Unbelievable l!
I might add that Ron didn’t want to shoot the 416. With my last shot with the 416 my right fist hit my face. (I’m right handed). Obviously I was getting complacent!!
If we ever get over the covid I’ll be using the Woodleighs on Australian buffalo.
Unfortunately my hunting trip to Tasmania to hunt fallow deer is off and hopefully I can go April next year.that is if we are”over” covid. I know I’m certainly over it!!
 
Well I don't blame him. The 416 Rem can bite if not paying attention, really not good for an inexperienced shooter.

I believe those consistent POI results in that rifle. IIRC, your 416 Rem is a Win 70? I have two of them and they are shooters. Mine haven't met a reasonable load in 370 and 400 gr they didn't like. Hope we all can get past the covidcrazies and get back to normal living!
 
Well I don't blame him. The 416 Rem can bite if not paying attention, really not good for an inexperienced shooter.

I believe those consistent POI results in that rifle. IIRC, your 416 Rem is a Win 70? I have two of them and they are shooters. Mine haven't met a reasonable load in 370 and 400 gr they didn't like. Hope we all can get past the covidcrazies and get back to normal living!

Yes Winchester African safari
Believe me I was totally surprised when my spotter said where they printed

Woodleigh wants me to test their 450 grain bullets in 416 - may have an issue apparently but if I shoot say a big buff and there’s a problem I figure I’ll have a big personal problem
And
I haven’t been able to get to the Northern Territory- covid
 
There seems to be a few 416 450 gr bullets scattered around. If you do some load testing, please post results. Encroachment into case capacity would be one concern but I haven't tried any so have no information.
 
I for one hope to see you using that 416 on a water buff. Your hunt is taking a long time since the covid started. Hopefully this will be your year to go.
Best of luck!
 
Dr. Ray, I have a 416 Rem Mag in a Winchester Mod 70 safari as well. So far, I've only used 400 Gr. bullets in it. Please let us know how the 450 Gr. Woodleigh(s) do if and when you try them out. Obviously you got them before the fire.
 
But Woodleigh wanted me to test on buffalo
So it may take a while
 
But Woodleigh wanted me to test on buffalo
So it may take a while
I was thinking more along the lines of basic load testing before hunting. Powders, velocities, accuracy, high pressure signs plus possible media testing.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,309
Messages
1,572,417
Members
169,565
Latest member
LoreneDand
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top