404 Jeffery - 350gn velocity question

Badboymelvin

AH fanatic
Joined
Dec 5, 2013
Messages
729
Reaction score
2,891
Location
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Media
25
Articles
3
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
4
Hey guys,

Just a quick question in regard to the 404 Jeffery as I have no experience whatsoever with this classic cartridge.

In a strong bolt-action rifle, what velocity should one expect when firing 350gn projectiles?
(The projectiles would be Woodleigh)
Would I be right in assuming around 2350-2500fps?

Thanks in advance guys (y)

Russ
 
Woodleigh shows max load velocity up to 2590 with H4895 and AR2206H.
Starting loads being 2280 and 2240 respectively. 2500 plus max with 7 powders listed in my manual.
No personal experience myself. Will PM the page in manual if interested.
 
Last edited:
I run the 350 woodleighs in my 404 j . they work great , taken some buff with them but prefer the 400gr for buff . Shot a lot of brumbies, scrubbers and boars with the 350's. Pretty hard on pigs but a lot of fun on mob bust ups.
used to get similar performance in 458 with hornady 350's.
Im using book loads from woodleigh manual with 2209, same charge as 400gr so around 2200 - 2250fps.
Great to shoot mild recoil with good performance.
2x 350's young bull
dfZ7Li.jpg
6AcXaq.jpg

350 woodleigh other side messy
AJVzRY.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Woodleigh shows max load velocity up to 2590 with H4895 and AR2206H.
Starting loads being 2280 and 2240 respectively. 2500 plus max with 7 powders listed in my manual.
No personal experience myself. Will PM the page in manual if interested.

Hey mate,

Thanks for your reply. I've just ordered the Woodleigh manual! (y)
Cheers,

Russ
 
I run the 350 woodleighs in my 404 j . they work great , taken some buff with them but prefer the 400gr for buff . Shot a lot of brumbies, scrubbers and boars with the 350's. Pretty hard on pigs but a lot of fun on mob bust ups.
used to get similar performance in 458 with hornady 350's.
Im using book loads from woodleigh manual with 2209, same charge as 400gr so around 2200 - 2250fps.
Great to shoot mild recoil with good performance.
2x 350's young bull
View attachment 417503View attachment 417501
350 woodleigh other side messy
View attachment 417502

Hey mate,

Thanks heaps for the info, just what I was after.
And thanks for sharing the AWESOME pics! (y)
Cheers,

Russ
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,297
Messages
1,570,964
Members
169,076
Latest member
ShellaTugg
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

autofire wrote on ThinAirHunter's profile.
I think forum prohibits making reference or giving personal references to PH/Outfitters that don't advertise on this forum.

But you can call me. I would be happy to discuss Cape Buffalo .

Bob 813-310-6992
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
 
Top