400gr Speer 45-70

The 400gr Speer is excellent bullet. I use them for moose hunting here in Finland.
My load has v0=1950fps and it has worked for me from 5 to 130 meters when hunting moose. This was recovered from a bull mosse that I shot from 5 meters. Shot went behind shoulder plate and trough the other side shoulder plate and was behind the skin. Under 30 meters they tend to stop behind the skin and longer shots are pass troughs.
IMG_20191027_171353952.jpg
 
Last edited:
Ive considered loading the 405gr woodleighs but they are out of stock at the moment and the swifts are $74 a box
How much is the elk?
 
I think Midway got a shipment of Woodleighs- they were out of stock for what seemed forever, then several of the varieties were listed as in stock; now several are Out of stock but backorder is an option; so appears they expect a resupply in the near future. As for Speers, bullets of .475" designed for the 480 Ruger, which will work in the 479 NE for range time/reduced loads as well as other diameter bullets are listed as out of stock. I e-mailed speer customer service recently and asked if there was an expected date when the 475 bullets would be available and I got a very uncourteous reply- so much so that if someone else made similar bullets I would go with them.
 
I have taken a Cape Buff with the 400 grain Woodleigh Weldcore - with my Winchester 1895 .405 WCF.
That bullet penetrated about 4 feet and exited , buff died.
 
Take a look at the Barnes Original 400 FN, they are an excellent bullet on game. I use the Original 400 SP in my .458 WM bolt action Carbine.
 
Love the 350gr Speer at 2000 fps in Marlin GG / Trapper 45/70. Seat the OAL at 2.600” and apply a Lee factory crimp on it. IMR 4198 @ 48.0
Tough bullet will shoot thru Alaskan Moose and Bear with ease.
IMG_0693.jpeg
 
Strange, i have used the 405 Speer in a Marlin lever for 25+ years on bears, whitetails, pigs and a bison and never had any cycling issues, also had them loaded max and never any penetration issues
 
Strange, i have used the 405 Speer in a Marlin lever for 25+ years on bears, whitetails, pigs and a bison and never had any cycling issues, also had them loaded max and never any penetration issues
You shouldn’t have cycle issue with Speer 405gr since their designed for 45/70. The 350gr Speer was actually made for the 458 Win Mag so you have to seat it a tad deeper for Marlin Lever at 2.60”.

The Woodleigh 350gr RN another bullet designed for the 458 WM that works well in 45/70 with its thicker jacket especially at 2000 fps in Marlin.
 
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
70,332
Messages
1,573,217
Members
169,723
Latest member
DominiqueY
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top